Speculation: Tkachuk & Bennett 2019 contracts

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
By the looks of it Chucky is going to have an outstanding year and Bennett is also probably going to have his best year as a Flame.

Do you think Tre will try and get ahead of the game and try to sign both to contract extensions this year instead of waiting until the summer? Its been said that whatever Nylander signs for will be the starting point for Tkachuk. Would it not be advantageous to the Flames to try and get Chucky signed before Nylander's contract $$ is known? Rumour has it that Dubas and Nylander are talking again.

Also, I can see that if Bennett continues to play like he has, his monetary value is increasing every game.

What do you think?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Tkachuk is going to cost some pretty $

Bennett needs to get his point total up before talking big money. Right now he is barely a 2M player

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I suspect both Tkachuk and Bennett (and their respective agents) will seek to finish the season and maximize their bargaining position before starting contract talks. So it doesn't really matter what Treliving wants.

For Tkachuk, a point per game season or thereabouts would give him the clout he needs to break the Gaudreau/Giordano cap. For Bennett, the more time in the top six alongside Backlund and Tkachuk he gets, the more points he'll put up. Big difference salary wise between a ~25 point third liner and a 45+ point second liner for example.

The issue with the Nylander comparison is that a large part of his concern is his pay relative to his teammates. He doesn't think it's fair to be paid ~6M a season for 60+ points while Marner makes 9M+ putting up 70+ and Matthews gets 11M+ for 70+. It's the exact same issue Draisaitl had vis-à-vis McDavid. But that issue isn't there for Tkachuk; the best players are all fixed at 6.75M for the next few years. I think stuff like that will absolutely play in the negotiations (as will his absolute offensive output as opposed to his pace).

If Tkachuk puts up 70+ points, I'd say he ends up somewhere between 6.75M-7.5M on a six year deal or 7.5-8M on an eight year deal.

For Bennett, if he can break 40 points, it'll either be another short bridge deal, say 3.5M for two years, or a something similar to Kadri, i.e., six years at 4.5-5M per.

FlamesNewArena

Sep 10, 2018
I see Tkachuck at Gio cap for any amount of years that gets him 1 year of rfa left. 8-8.5 on 7 year deal, 8.5-9.1 for 8 year deal.

Bennett, honestly don't care at this point if he is asking for 4 mil or above unless the rest of the season changes on the second line. but i just don't see that happening. 3 mil if he wants it to play third line minutes take it or leave it

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't think either sign before the season is over. I don't think Bennett signs a long-term deal if he puts up a good amount of points this year because Tre will want more of a history of the same before committing IMO. Tkachuk will break $7 mil though, no doubt in my mind. Someone on CP suggested a contract which paid Tkachuk $6.75 for the amount of years Gaudreau has left and the added years were $7.5-8 to reflect the increase, AAV was around $7.315 or something. I think this is a good starting point if Tre wants to stick to the Gio/Gaudreau cap.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I suspect that Tkachuk is going to cost the Flames somewhere in the $7.5-$8m AAV range and I think they'll try to lock him up for 8 years. Future Flames captain here.
As for Bennett, I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him to a 2 year $3.5m AAV show me contract.
They'll definitely be trading Stone with his $3.5m contract and possibly Frolik with his $4.3m contract to make room for what it will cost to sign both Tkachuk and Bennett. I doubt Smith will be back. His $4.25m contract expires this summer, however Rittich's contract expires this summer too and he becomes a RFA with arbitration rights. His contract, if he continues to play like he has, could be costly... or at least a lot more than the $800,000 he's being paid now.
Hathaway's contract is up too. He becomes a UFA.

p.s. I'd love to see both Chucky and Benny sign extensions before the end of the year because by doing that I think Treliving will be able to save a little money.... but maybe thats just wishful thinking and it will never happen.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I suspect that Tkachuk is going to cost the Flames somewhere in the $7.5-$8m AAV range and I think they'll try to lock him up for 8 years. Future Flames captain here.
As for Bennett, I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him to a 2 year $3.5m AAV show me contract.
They'll definitely be trading Stone with his $3.5m contract and possibly Frolik with his $4.3m contract to make room for what it will cost to sign both Tkachuk and Bennett. I doubt Smith will be back. His $4.25m contract expires this summer, however Rittich's contract expires this summer too and he becomes a RFA with arbitration rights. His contract, if he continues to play like he has, could be costly... or at least a lot more than the $800,000 he's being paid now.
Hathaway's contract is up too. He becomes a UFA.

p.s. I'd love to see both Chucky and Benny sign extensions before the end of the year because by doing that I think Treliving will be able to save a little money.... but maybe thats just wishful thinking and it will never happen.

I believe Chucky MAY break the Gio cap just because the salary cap has risen. Many here talk how Chucky will demand premium dollar because of his dad but I think it will go another way. Keith never won a cup and if Chucky and his dad see a chance not to just win 1 but many cups with the Flames Chucky will sign for a slight discount for between $6.75- $7.25M.

Bennett at this point is a HUGE question mark. This season will likely be Sam's breakout but where will he end up? 40 pts 50pts 60pts? I believe Tre locks Sam up long term at a good discount.

Several existing contracts like Frolik and Stone will likely need to be looked after.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I would like to do the same contract as Johnny. I would do less years to save cap because our teams in its prime right now so we need to save money to compete who knows how we will look in 5 years. We gotta maximize Gio's prime so do 6.75*6 and by giving him that there will be no hard feelings from Johnny who lets admit was kinda lowballed by the team so he might not like Chucky getting a big 8-9 million$ deal. As for Bennett i like what a poster above said by giving him something like the Kadri deal (if he can hit minimum 50 points and have a good playoffs).

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Wrong my ass

Bennett, SamC, LWNHL22$1,950,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

haha. if you want to nitpick, barely means just over. So he's not barely $2M player.

But nobody uses contract value when they talk about players value. Or did you consider Brouwer a $4,5M player last season?

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
haha. if you want to nitpick, barely means just over. So he's not barely $2M player.

But nobody uses contract value when they talk about players value. Or did you consider Brouwer a $4,5M player last season?

I clearly said Bennett needs to increase his point production for a bigger contract. Until the last couple games he was scoring even below his last year pace, that's why he is barely making his current contract. Doesnt matter how good he looks or how the internet loves him, unless he has the numbers, he is not getting a better contract. If Bennet has another 20s points season, 2M range is what he is going to get.

This is not the same as I am saying he will have another 20s point season. I do think he will be much better but that is still on him to do it.

Brouwer was a UFA and he did had the numbers when he signed his contract. He sucks after he joined the Flames that's why he is a 1M player now.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I clearly said Bennett needs to increase his point production for a bigger contract. Until the last couple games he was scoring even below his last year pace, that's why he is barely making his current contract. Doesnt matter how good he looks or how the internet loves him, unless he has the numbers, he is not getting a better contract. If Bennet has another 20s points season, 2M range is what he is going to get.

This is not the same as I am saying he will have another 20s point season. I do think he will be much better but that is still on him to do it.

Brouwer was a UFA and he did had the numbers when he signed his contract. He sucks after he joined the Flames that's why he is a 1M player now.

In the post I quoted, you clearly argued that Bennett is barely $2M player cause he makes less than $2M. That is stupid argument (see Brouwer) and factually incorrect (the meaning of barely).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In the post I quoted, you clearly argued that Bennett is barely $2M player cause he makes less than $2M. That is stupid argument (see Brouwer) and factually incorrect (the meaning of barely).

Context means everything, you cant cut in a conversation in the middle and assume. No it's not the same as Brouwer as he is not performing to his contract. Bennett is performing similar to his current contract and possibly can do more but he has NOT done it yet production wise until recently.

As far as your comment on my use of English, kiss my xxx, it's not an English forum

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Context means everything, you cant cut in a conversation in the middle and assume. No it's not the same as Brouwer as he is not performing to his contract. Bennett is performing similar to his current contract and possibly can do more but he has NOT done it yet production wise until recently.

As far as your comment on my use of English, kiss my xxx, it's not an English forum

haha. "wrong my ass" and when proved your ass really was wrong, it's kiss my ass :laugh:

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'm not totally floored by Bennett but if he continues on his current trajectory I think he gets a contract a lot like Backlund's previous one. He's definitely more than a $2 million player.

Reactions: Kahvi

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If he sticks on the 2nd line and doesn't drag it down, kid is gonna get paid the medium bucks. It'd be near impossible to not crack 40 playing with Backs and Tkachuk.

best value would be 3.5/4 with all those intangibles.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I could see him getting 20+20 if he keeps up how he's played lately

Exactly, I don't really see him regressing either, he's playing the game in his own way now and starting to realize that he's no McJesus. The system installed relies heavily on simple outlets, chip and dump then chase. This works to Bennett's strengths, his work ethic and "grinder" ability are shining right now. If he keeps busting his ass, which we all know isn't a problem, he'll continue to find success. He's not the 4th overall pick we were hoping for, doesn't mean he can't be highly effective for us. Kid oozes the IT factor that is coveted in hockey players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad