Player Discussion TJ Oshie

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
You might a bit too focused on numbers. He's been all over the ice.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Both he and Williams have delivered. When a team is firing on all cylinders you will stop seeing individual players running up their stats and the wealth spread a bit more. I was wondering though when this type of thread would inevitably happen. I would wager that Ovechkin will probably have a statistically underwhelming season, and that's a good thing. For us to succeed we need to spread out the points.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Hes been everything and more. Lets not forget kuznestov taking off is because of him. (Well more like oshie opens up space for him as well as making him better)

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
But isn't that Blues fans were concerned with him? That he has no finish? And also I remember they complained about him falling too much. Hope I'm wrong though!

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
But isn't that Blues fans were concerned with him? That he has no finish? And also I remember they complained about him falling too much. Hope I'm wrong though!

put it this way, would you rather have another year of troy brouwer or have oshie and kuznetov excelling? having oshie and ovechkin gives kuznestov soo much space to work with

oshie will just keep doing the great job he is currently doing. if the stats dont come then oh well but the team is so much better with him in the lineup :)

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012

He definitely does fall a lot, but Oshie has proven he can finish, he's just more of a playmaker because he's so creative with the puck and with passes.

He's been great defensively, but he's been just as good offensively. Just hasn't been getting the bounces.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
I love what Oshie brings to the team and despite his production being a little bit lacking, I feel that will eventually pick up. He gives the team another weapon and will be huge for us when it really matters.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I will ask this question, does anyone remember Oshie making a mistake this season, like being careless with the puck?

I think there were maybe a handful of times total I can recall, and I watch him a lot. There have to be more than that. He tends to get the better of coinflip plays, too.

As I said in another thread, I'd like to see Williams up with Ovechkin and Oshie on the 2nd line for a bit. Try

8-19-14
90-92-77

This is what we thought we'd be seeing when the moves were made. Oshie may be suffering the same fate as Mojo when he was on the top line, which is deferring to Ovechkin a bit too much. Early on maybe new guys on that line benefit from the space, but eventually they seem to try and find Ovie a lot. Williams is a bit more stable and "mature" as a player and probably won't fall into that trap. He would be Knuble II, but with maybe more mobility and smarts, let's say.

Then you'd have Oshie in more of a shooting role on the 2nd line with Kuz. We know they have chemistry. Mojo will add what he adds as the best option there for the time being, until Bura gets his mess sorted out. I think that would encourage Oshie to look to score more, and not just keep plays alive or distribute.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think there were maybe a handful of times total I can recall, and I watch him a lot. There have to be more than that. He tends to get the better of coinflip plays, too.

As I said in another thread, I'd like to see Williams up with Ovechkin and Oshie on the 2nd line for a bit. Try

8-19-14
90-92-77

This is what we thought we'd be seeing when the moves were made. Oshie may be suffering the same fate as Mojo when he was on the top line, which is deferring to Ovechkin a bit too much. Early on maybe new guys on that line benefit from the space, but eventually they seem to try and find Ovie a lot. Williams is a bit more stable and "mature" as a player and probably won't fall into that trap. He would be Knuble II, but with maybe more mobility and smarts, let's say.

Then you'd have Oshie in more of a shooting role on the 2nd line with Kuz. We know they have chemistry. Mojo will add what he adds as the best option there for the time being, until Bura gets his mess sorted out. I think that would encourage Oshie to look to score more, and not just keep plays alive or distribute.

I agree completely with what you said. Almost everyone who has ever played with Ovi tended to defer to him. He generates many scoring chances though, regardless of his line mates and is a smarter player than Brouwer. He's had great looks also on the PP, he can really connect on those one timers.

Goalies have robbed TJ of a few goals so far this season. I'm not worried about the top 6, it's one of the best in the league.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Considering what he's done to solidify the top six (along with Williams)....love what he brings so far.

Needs to step in up when the playoffs come around...but we'll knew that was the rub going into this.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
His PK is good,has unbelievable hands ESP at high speeds,good forecheck,excellent on the walls with shifty little moves that are creating separation.....and so on.

He's got a ton of skill and coming from a hitch team is very defensively responsible. You really can't ask for more.

Apr 6, 2004
I'd like to see him on the 2nd line away from OV to eliminate that pressure and have Williams as 1RW as someone else suggested. Waiting for him to win us a few shootouts too.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Blues fans have been patiently waiting for this thread I'm sure. I wondered myself. His numbers are disappointing but less indicative of his overall impact to the top line IMO. He's been everything we could have asked for EXCEPT actually putting up great numbers.

That said, if this team wants to win a Cup, he needs to produce at a better rate than some of the previous players who have filled the opposite winger role with 8/19.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd like to see him on the 2nd line away from OV to eliminate that pressure and have Williams as 1RW as someone else suggested. Waiting for him to win us a few shootouts too.

I too would like to see some experimentation.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He has exceeded expectations. There is more to the game, than points.

That is, increasing the overall skill level of the team, and rather noticeably. He is built like a fire hydrant and is much more physical than Brouwer, to circle back to the trade.

He has fit into a line which was always a concern of mine blindly bringing in a top 6. Look at all the failures we have had in acquiring players and them quickly demoted / doing nothing more than eating popcorn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad