TJ Brennan

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
a chance at what exactly ? he's nothing more than a minor leaguer

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
To borrow a baseball term, he is a classic AAAA player. Too good for AAA but not good enough for the bigs. He will always be a star in the AHL and nothing more.

champs*

To borrow a baseball term, he is a classic AAAA player. Too good for AAA but not good enough for the bigs. He will always be a star in the AHL and nothing more.

haha, yep a 4A :nod: just make a lot of unforced mistakes like most AhL'ers

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not really seeing a reason to NOT give him a chance.

The Leafs are essentially out of the playoff race, and if he shines he may be available to be flipped for a pick.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Not really seeing a reason to NOT give him a chance.

The Leafs are essentially out of the playoff race, and if he shines he may be available to be flipped for a pick.

Maybe the odd call-up, however, I think he's a catalyst for the Marlies in terms of points. I think he'll get his shot elsewhere, he lacks the foot-speed for this new system we are building.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a 5-7 defenseman with PP capabilities

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
It certainly wouldn't hurt to give him another shot if we move, say, Polak and Marincin and promote him and say, Percy for the balance of the season. Marlies look poised to make the playoffs regardless and they can be returned for their playoff run.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
It certainly wouldn't hurt to give him another shot if we move, say, Polak and Marincin and promote him and say, Percy for the balance of the season. Marlies look poised to make the playoffs regardless and they can be returned for their playoff run.

I would rather give a guy like Corrado a look considering those two would most likely be moved out near the TDL anyways. There would be no reason to give Brennan a shot over giving a potential future player some experience.

Leafsbeast*

Fact is, Brennan has not been given a fair chance. He has been up for a game or two here and there, but IMHO he has been screwed over.

champs*

the thing with these AHL guys is, they will play like an NHL'er 90% of the time but make some really silly mistakes on a regular basis. That keeps them out of the NHL.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Someone beat me to it. Bring him up, display him for HIS sake, if he plays really well, you can keep him, OR trade him.

Shows class of the organization. All the Leafs have to do with el italiano, Corrado, hey I am part italian, I can say that, mothball like they have and let him go to the AHL next year.

Its a win for MLSE and Brennan. The guy puts up outstanding numbers, too big for me to ignore, give him some Babcock influence and maybe the guy makes good.

Unless Babcock and Keefe just despise his NHL credentials which I suppose is possible, why not do this? Sends a message to all AHLers in the Toronto system.

Understand, getting drafted by Toronto is going to be horrible for a lot of kids, they know unless they are McDavid, Eichel or Matthews they don't have a hope in Hades at starting in the NHL. Heck they might not even start in the AHL.

champs*

Teeder, Brennan makes defensive mistake on a game to game basis, that make you go "wtf?"

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Positives:
- Point Machine 5v5 32 of 38 points
- Improves nearly any PP unit he plays on
- Very good shot

Negatives:
- Easily in the running for worst skater on the Marlies
- Probably the worst in his own zone of the 8 they consistently use

Can't see this guy ever being a consistent NHL'er. Although he has his niche and could easily play on a team's PP unit, his lack of footspeed and defensive zone play is terrible in the AHL, imagine what it would be like in the NHL. Only way I could ever see him play a full season is on a team who runs a 5 dman system anyway and have him play -10mins a game with the majority being on the PP.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Like others have said he has problems with defensive zone coverage. On a team that scores a bunch 5x5 he is only a plus 7 (Campbell and Valiev are both in the plus mid 20's).

I don't know why they never moved him to the wing. He is actually a good forechecker and good on the boards. He reminds me of Andreychuck they were both slow skating former lacrosse players with good hands.

Brennan will get his chance with expansion if it ever comes.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
As others have said he isn't good in the defensive zone. His skating is a bit average and he's prone to making questionable decisions with the puck. His offensive savvy is outstanding at the AHL level. I actually don't like him on the team because I think the Leafs' defense prospects should be manning the Marlies' power play. But there's no doubt that he makes the Marlies a much better team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bring him up as a winger?

Use him on the point for his shot on the PP only?

I'm a big fan of experiments with players getting shots at different positions.

Not many have the guts to try it but its totally worth it IMO.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

I agree. He is 2nd in the entire AHL for points...and he's a defenseman! His offensive ability is quite astounding. Throw him on the 4th line as a winger and give him powerplay time. It's an experiment worth looking into.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I wonder if he'll be a call up after the TD. If that is the case, would he still be eligible for the Marlies playoffs?

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

Something like I proposed should play to his strengths and not exploit his weaknesses.

I could see him and Rielly being a really successful PP pairing. Rielly would make up for Brennan's lack of speed to minimize risk of getting caught.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad