Injury Report: Timothy Liljegren Will Miss “Significant Time” -- December 16, 2023 Update.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Keefe: 'I hated everything about' Maple Leafs' response to Marchand hit

Glad Keefe addresses it

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think Klingberg's play has relatively improved compared to the start of the season with McCabe not being his partner. McCabe was absolutely terrible to start the season. Last season besides Mo we had no offense from the backend (see pic below)
View attachment 762840

We can at least expect Klingberg to clock in at around 40+ points that is a positive as far as I am concerned and reduced offensive burden on Rielly. that is a serious position of concern that was addressed. Now could it have been better sure... but for better you have to "pay more" and Leafs had no cap space thanks to dubas.

Injuries, although they suck, are part and parcel of the game. This is when good teams/coach devise a strategy/systems to adopt to the new circumstances they find themselves in.

Boston had a bunch of injuries last season and they found a way to make it work. Same happened with Avs with Mack/Landeskog and even Makar misssing games last season but they found a way to make it work. Avs were decimated with even Nichushkin and Lehkonen missing a bunch of games.

Domi and Bert will find their games IMO or worst shipped out around Feb they are UFA free wallet contracts anyway; Leafs couldn't bid higher for others as there wasn't any cap left over due to dubas completely effing over the leafs

I think few of the biggest needs given how last season panned out were:;

1) needed more offense from D (added: Klingberg)
2) needed more "snot" in the top9 with players who don't get pushed over and can also produce a bit (added: Domi, Bertuzzi TBD how this pans out)
3) Matthews/Nylander contracts (Signed Matthews; Willy negotiations on-going)
4) Last and definitely not the least -> needed someone to take teammates to war with them (added: Reaves to hopefully change the softass mindset of this team-> would it happen? To be seen.... based on recent tweets posted in this thread apparently they had a discussion so TBD)

and more importantly, as was the case before, need more "belligerence, testosterone, pugnacity" from the core4 to begin with. Leaders need to lead with example and by that I don't mean fighting; but playing through checks; winning puck/board battles, winning races to 50-50 pucks; blocking shots; and heck even taking body when need be instead of poke-checking like morons.

I think Tre has done enough to address the needs given the time and cap space that was afforded to him and things that needed to be addressed in a very short time span.

You can't really judge a new GM when he is not even 6 months into a job.

Other teams aren't waiting to bendover and take all of Leafs' garbage and their own best to the leafs for free. It takes two to tango. Leafs had a GOLDEN opportunity during Matthews/Nylander/Marner RFA contracts when leafs had all the leverage which was absolutely squanered by dubas now we have to deal with the consequences and adapt given the circumstances. Which IMO Tre has done well so far with his very limited time with the club

Klingberg...

xGF% 43.1%
rel xGF% -6.5%
GF% 38.5%

our PP is the same as last year, and he has less PPP than Rielly this year.

You can type the longest book you want, he has sucked and at this rate, no matter how many points he puts up, he is getting scored on more, and this may be shocking, but the objective of the game is to score more than you get scored on.

He has shown flashes, but his defensively play is the worst I've seen in recent memory.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Frankie spot on. The notion Keefe prevents a response is silly. His Marlies experience proved he wants his guys to respond.

Look at this game when Keefe had just started, a near purpose knee on knee, and Holl along with others responded.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Glad Keefe addresses it

This is a good answer too.

"Reaves said he was disappointed not to have a chance at Marchand during the remainder of the contest. "It's just lucky I wasn't on the ice with him," he said. "Unfortunately, they had last change, so I didn't get any shifts against them. That's hockey."

The Leafs have a home game against Boston on December 2. We'll find out how full of shit these comments are or hopefully not then.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
OK so the problem is not Keefe. I hope he tore a strip out of them after the game.
And if Keefe didn't stop retaliation there is no excuse for Reaves Players at the bench are on the tablet admiring their plays qll the time. There is no excuse for not knowing what happened. They can watch a replay and then Reaves should have beten the shat out of Marchand the next shift Marchand was on the ice.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Your heavy is never going to be the guy fighting Marchand. Its happened once in the last 25 years that i can think of and John Scott's a running joke because of it
Just watching him run away is enough for me.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
And if Keefe didn't stop retaliation there is no excuse for Reaves Players at the bench are on the tablet admiring their plays qll the time. There is no excuse for not knowing what happened. They can watch a replay and then Reaves should have beten the shat out of Marchand the next shift Marchand was on the ice.
Keefe said he talked to the team at the intermission about it too.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
This is a good answer too.

"Reaves said he was disappointed not to have a chance at Marchand during the remainder of the contest. "It's just lucky I wasn't on the ice with him," he said. "Unfortunately, they had last change, so I didn't get any shifts against them. That's hockey."

The Leafs have a home game against Boston on December 2. We'll find out how full of shit these comments are or hopefully not then.

He's full of shit, I remember Reaves and Ratchand being on the ice at the same time at least once.... think about it grom B's coach's perspective does it make sense that their coach does not want their most skilled player playing against our 6 foot pylon...

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I disagree with moving MM and I'll use your argument. MM would be absolutely awesome on a team that had some real grease, and trading him to one isn't going to get you grease from a team who wants to stay greasy.

Try again on who should be moved if anyone gets moved and it ain't Filthy Billy.
What put me over the edge was getting to see the replay of the Reilly hit on Point in last year's playoffs. Everyone on the ice was paired off except Mitch who was not interested in helping any teammate.

You say don't move Willy...I agree
We are not moving Matthews and can't move JT.

So Mitch it is...not to give him away but to add on the backend and 3rd line centre.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
But but "players signed by Dubas" the players that are performing for the team the best

🙄

The agent "listen don't say anything Auston, let me handle this, I'll get that 10.34 for 8 years if I have to wrestle him to the floor!"

Kyle "Come in fellas thanks for coming in. Before we get started I have something I think you'll like. Instead of going for 8 years let's look at 4 or 5 years, the reason being is that you can get possibly 2 more contracts in your prime. Now to make it worth your while how about 11.5, sound good?

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Why isn't Liljegren the dirty rat?
Because he didn't do anything wrong.
Why isn't Marchand the one side-lined.
Because Marchand didn't get a stick shoved in his skate and lifted in the air in a dangerous area of the ice.
If it was a trip then it's within the rules (a penalty), but it's not a suspendable offence.
It's absolutely a suspendable offense. The NHL is just corrupt and brain dead, and not concerned with the safety of its employees.
Toronto has to be the one handing out the punishment not the other way around.
Nobody should be intentionally injuring people.
We as fans are starving for playoff success, and here we are talking about how great it might be to have several Lady Bing nominees.
More like we're starving for playoff success and here we are talking about irrelevant things like punching faces, and here you are trying to blame Liljegren for somebody injuring him.
IMHO Liljegren didn't do enough to protect himself.
There is absolutely nothing Liljegren could have done to protect himself there. Trying to blame Liljegren for Marchand's dangerous action is disgusting.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Because he didn't do anything wrong.

Because Marchand didn't get a stick shoved in his skate and lifted in the air in a dangerous area of the ice.

It's absolutely a suspendable offense. The NHL is just corrupt and brain dead, and not concerned with the safety of its employees.

Nobody should be intentionally injuring people.

More like we're starving for playoff success and here we are talking about irrelevant things like punching faces, and here you are trying to blame Liljegren for somebody injuring him.

There is absolutely nothing Liljegren could have done to protect himself there. Trying to blame Liljegren for Marchand's dangerous action is disgusting.
These comments are far from rational. They are dictated by miseducation, fear, anger, frustration, ignorance, and deep cynicism.

I'm really quite shocked that you appeal to others.

Do you really believe that the NHL is corrupt? If you do then you're far gone. You'll never find joy or even entertainment.

You don't have to beat yourself up though. Have you ever heard the phrase: "vote with your feet". This can apply to you and give your life far more happiness.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Do you really believe that the NHL is corrupt? If you do then you're far gone. You'll never find joy or even entertainment.
I too have come to the conclusion it is corrupt. I trust my own eyes, my own common sense, and my own analysis (something I have been forced to adopt as the sole arbiter of "reality" since I believe we live in an inconceivably all-encompassing matrix of fraud and lies by mainstream media, mega-corporations, and governments).

I am joyous in my life. Awakening is scary at first, then it comforts the soul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gilmour1996

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I too have come to the conclusion it is corrupt. I trust my own eyes, my own common sense, and my own analysis (something I have been forced to adopt as the sole arbiter of "reality" since I believe we live in an inconceivably all-encompassing matrix of fraud and lies by mainstream media, mega-corporations, and governments).

I am joyous in my life. Awakening is scary at first, then it comforts the soul.
There's possibly a local road hockey league you could follow.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
They're 100% rational and true, which is why you had no response. What's irrational is blaming Liljegren for somebody injuring him.
That's not what i said. You're making that up just to try to win a difference of opinion battle (WTF?).

But you cannot speak to someone who's uneducated, who cannot slice through complex things, and always thinks that conspiracies is the answer to any question.

If you want to paint the NHL as being corrupt then I'm afraid you're going to have a difficult time finding a discussion here. You will however find an audience for the most cynical people on HF.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That's not what i said.
You did. And then doubled down on it multiple times:
What I do know is Liljegren has to brace himself.
I said that you can't do either one simultaneously. This is probably why Liljegren is in this predicament.
IMHO Liljegren didn't do enough to protect himself.
Liljegren did not cause or exacerbate the injury.
You cannot protect yourself or brace yourself from having a stick put in your skate and your skate lifted in the air as you approach the boards.
If you want to paint the NHL as being corrupt then I'm afraid you're going to have a difficult time finding a discussion here.
The only one that has painted the NHL as corrupt is the NHL, by being corrupt, and that being verified through significant evidence, data, testimonies, and leaked information. If you'd prefer the NHL be referred to as incompetent and intentionally negligent instead, those also apply.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
We really miss him right now. Just a calm steady player who moves the puck, and doesn't get himself in trouble. There have been some goals where if Lilly is on the ice instead of Klingberg, I'm not sure those goals against happen.
There have been some goals where if I was on the ice instead of Klingberg, they wouldn’t happen.

But I do agree, we definitely miss Timmy (and McCabe).

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
We really miss him right now. Just a calm steady player who moves the puck, and doesn't get himself in trouble. There have been some goals where if Lilly is on the ice instead of Klingberg, I'm not sure those goals against happen.
he's not great, but he is certainly better at what is there now.

With Rielly and Brodie you have 2 good, but not great D-men. As a top 2 in the league, they are probably middle-of-the-pack. But behind them, whatever 4 guys you play are at best 5-6 guys and probably more like someone you would want as your 7th. McCabe and Liljegren make the situation a little better, but even McCabe hasn't looked all that great this year.

This isn't going to change or get better much the rest of the year. Because of your back 6, you NEED your forward group to skate back harder on D and play their positions in the D-zone better than other teams. Not only are you not getting that, they are putting in less effort and playing worse positionally to help the D than many other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad