Timo Meier (9th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
Really happy about this pick. A big-bodied goal scorer? These guys are gold. We have Couts and Hertl as future playmaking pivots, so Meier's skill set is a need.

Seeing Meier, Goldobin, Roy, Chartier, etc. in the Sharks prospect pool is very satisfying when I look back to the dark days where Freddie Hamilton was our best prospect.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Really happy about this pick. A big-bodied goal scorer? These guys are gold. We have Couts and Hertl as future playmaking pivots, so Meier's skill set is a need.

Seeing Meier, Goldobin, Roy, Chartier, etc. in the Sharks prospect pool is very satisfying when I look back to the dark days where Freddie Hamilton was our best prospect.

I would rather see Meier play with Tierney. He's the best forward playmaker that we have (minus Thornton), and he has good speed. They would make an awesome combo if they both hit their ceiling.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...all-san-jose-sharks-add-swiss-mix-timo-meier/

There's a link to a you tube video on there, not sure if this has been mentioned before. But one reason I love this pick, is shown at 2:30. After watching 2 and a half minutes of his scoring skills, then watching Ehlers (Who's their star player) getting kamikaze checked, Meiers first instincts was to drop the gloves for his line mate.

That's the kind of player we need, someone who can score and stand up for the team

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I politely disagree.

It's something I love to see, as a professional sportsman, nothing makes you respect a team mate more than watching them stand up for you naturally. Not these fake tough men who get thrown on the ice to throw punches at some other thug, but someone who genuinely stands up for you.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
It's something I love to see, as a professional sportsman, nothing makes you respect a team mate more than watching them stand up for you naturally. Not these fake tough men who get thrown on the ice to throw punches at some other thug, but someone who genuinely stands up for you.

It's fine, but really unimportant in a top-6 player at this point. It's good in a bottom-6er of course, but fighting is so staged and pointless these days I really just don't want my top talent getting hurt for no reason. I like toughness, but keep it during the game, not after the whistle.

I do like that he's a big guy who can skate, and is tough, I just don't care about the face punching. I honestly don't know why people are down on Meier, he is literally good at everything. I know someone will say "Yah but he's not GREAT at anything" to which I would counter that all he has to do is improve one aspect of his game to make that untrue. For instance, and likely, skating. With a little more training and coaching it's very conceivable he could move into the great skater category. Or a slight improvement to his shot, etc. This is a kid who not only has no deficiencies in his game, he's right on the edge in a bunch of categories of being elite. How would you have felt if Meier was ranked a 5/5 skater instead of 4/5? Would that have made the difference? Because there isn't much improvement required for him to get to there. How about if his shot was 5/5 instead of 4/5? Again, a little training and he could easily be there very quickly.

I think people get way too wrapped up in the high-risk guys. Sure a guy like Barzal might be elite, but he also might end up like Bozak too. Meier is much more likely to hit his potential, and with a few small improvements could be elite as well. That's a smart pick in my book.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
It's fine, but really unimportant in a top-6 player at this point. It's good in a bottom-6er of course, but fighting is so staged and pointless these days I really just don't want my top talent getting hurt for no reason. I like toughness, but keep it during the game, not after the whistle.

I do like that he's a big guy who can skate, and is tough, I just don't care about the face punching. I honestly don't know why people are down on Meier, he is literally good at everything. I know someone will say "Yah but he's not GREAT at anything" to which I would counter that all he has to do is improve one aspect of his game to make that untrue. For instance, and likely, skating. With a little more training and coaching it's very conceivable he could move into the great skater category. Or a slight improvement to his shot, etc. This is a kid who not only has no deficiencies in his game, he's right on the edge in a bunch of categories of being elite. How would you have felt if Meier was ranked a 5/5 skater instead of 4/5? Would that have made the difference? Because there isn't much improvement required for him to get to there. How about if his shot was 5/5 instead of 4/5? Again, a little training and he could easily be there very quickly.

I think people get way too wrapped up in the high-risk guys. Sure a guy like Barzal might be elite, but he also might end up like Bozak too. Meier is much more likely to hit his potential, and with a few small improvements could be elite as well. That's a smart pick in my book.

what if in a couple years, lets say someone like Goldobin is our top scorer, and he's getting thrown around by the big guys, would you rather him fight them or someone bigger and stronger in Meier?

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010

I didn't really mean the actual fighting that impressed me, it was the instincitve reaction of standing up for his team mate. Even if he didn't drop the gloves, it was the way he did it was what made it.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
what if in a couple years, lets say someone like Goldobin is our top scorer, and he's getting thrown around by the big guys, would you rather him fight them or someone bigger and stronger in Meier?

That just doesn't happen though. With the instigator rule there are several outcomes more likely than someone like Meier effectively stopping abuse.

1) Meier takes an instigator penalty and is out for 5 minutes and the opposing team gets a goal. Not only did Meier not stop the abuse (because the opposing team got rewarded for their behavior) but the other team scored.

2) Meier hurt himself and is best case diminished while it heals or worst case out for significant time.

It's just not worth the risk. If it's an agitator, they simply are not going to fight a guy like Meier. If it's the other teams tough guy, they take that trade any day (Their tough guy for your star winger). I like toughness, but again, keep it during the play, period.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I didn't really mean the actual fighting that impressed me, it was the instincitve reaction of standing up for his team mate. Even if he didn't drop the gloves, it was the way he did it was what made it.

I agree. I don't care about the fighting but being a good teammate is important.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
If Meier wanted to retaliate, the best way to do it would be a big (but clean) hit to that dude.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Where are you getting this from? Has Patrick Kane ever fought someone? Marty St Louis? Tyler Johnson? That **** doesn't happen.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
If Meier wanted to retaliate, the best way to do it would be a big (but clean) hit to that dude.

It was instinctive. He didn't think about it, he just stood up for a team mate. But what am I saying, this guys just a bust.

When Vlasic got a mean streak in him (If you can call it mean) everyone loved it on these boards, but because it's Meier, and we don't really like the draft pick that much, we're gonna call him out on it.

This guys turning into one of my favorite players before even playing a game, just seeing how much everyone is against him already. I really want to see him succeed. I don't want him to go out there and "smash faces", but when the time comes for it, I love to see players standing up for each other. (Probably better then going out of position to make a BIG hit on someone in retaliation for something two periods ago.)

Last edited:

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
All I'm saying is in that LA series when Vlasic was injured, we had no one to step up and punsih the Kings. Everyone just kinda sat back and figured they were ****ed anyways. We don't need guys like Scott who take a few shifts and fight to stand up for a teammate but I'd love a guy who can be useful on offense and if a guy is taking liberties at our team, make them pay for it.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

He's got good skill, good skating, not great at either.

I don't have a huge problem with it, it's just a safe pick is all, as usual. It was predictable as can be.

that someone was you :laugh:

but i agree. he's good at everything NOW and has a very good chance to become elite at something THEN. I think there's elite F1 potential there and I'm excited to see how he pans out. I also like that he stood up for his teammates. I'm not a huge fan of fighting in the game, but its there and when we're battling your Lucic's and Perry's on a regular basis its comforting to know there's someone on the team that will do something about it.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
that someone was you :laugh:

but i agree. he's good at everything NOW and has a very good chance to become elite at something THEN. I think there's elite F1 potential there and I'm excited to see how he pans out. I also like that he stood up for his teammates. I'm not a huge fan of fighting in the game, but its there and when we're battling your Lucic's and Perry's on a regular basis its comforting to know there's someone on the team that will do something about it.

Well yah, I was specifically saying he isn't great at either NOW, but could easily be with a small improvement down the road. He's right on the edge, which was kind of the entire point of that post :P

Also, my criticism of fighting aside, it doesn't apply to Perry. In my opinion if it costs a game but Perry ends up with missing teeth, that's a price well paid.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Judging by his WJC highlights, his skating looks great, especially for his style of play. I don't want to see a bunch of lateral movement and triple lutzs and ****. I want to see a tank like him drive the net hard and split defenders. Certainly seems like he can do that.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It was instinctive. He didn't think about it, he just stood up for a team mate. But what am I saying, this guys just a bust.

When Vlasic got a mean streak in him (If you can call it mean) everyone loved it on these boards, but because it's Meier, and we don't really like the draft pick that much, we're gonna call him out on it.

This guys turning into one of my favorite players before even playing a game, just seeing how much everyone is against him already. I really want to see him succeed. I don't want him to go out there and "smash faces", but when the time comes for it, I love to see players standing up for each other. (Probably better then going out of position to make a BIG hit on someone in retaliation for something two periods ago.)

And I think this is very important.

Many people don't like to see fighting. They'll talk about the risk of getting a penalty, of injury, of fatigue...

But, while I don't necessarily want a player to want, I want him to want to fight. I want him to be able to fight. It is a window into their mentality. A player who won't fight is a often player who is scared, selfish, and uninvested in the game.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad