Timing of Trades

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
How about 9:00 pm on a Friday night for timing, where the radio shows won’t be on for 48 hours.

hilarious how he think he can just bury the story on a friday night on nobody will notice. Same thing with his arrogant "he plays out west" comments, like fans don't watch games late.

Reactions: CoopersFalls

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
While I am not a big fan of the Domi for Galchenyuk trade, what really pushes my button is the diligence behind the timing.

I can't believe that Galchenyuk would not yield you a Robert Thomas or another high end center during draft day.

Did all the other teams even know that Galchenyuk was about to be moved so at least a last minute competitor could drive up the price?

The 3rd trade in the least three years before the draft, why not wait until draft day to see if another GM is ready to overpay?

We only had TWO legit 30 goal scorers on this team and now we have traded one of them away.

In my mind you now HAVE TO draft Zadina just because you lack high end talent throughout your forward group.

Not that I am a fan of our captain, but trading him for even for an over payment would put this team as a lock for 30 place for offence.

Where the heck is the scoring coming from and please don't say Tavares. lol.... why would he come here?!

Just curious about the bolded. What makes Galchenyuk a legit 30 goal scorer but Gallagher not?

To be clear, I consider neither as guys you expect 30 from but just saying I don't see why galchenyuk would be and Gallagher wouldn't.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
hilarious how he think he can just bury the story on a friday night on nobody will notice. Same thing with his arrogant "he plays out west" comments, like fans don't watch games late.

If you seriously believe that a major hockey trade of a Montreal Canadiens players can be "buried" and go unnoticed in the medias just by announcing it on a Friday evening, then I assume you are totally new in Montreal and have never opened a newspaper or listened to radio around here. And to suggest that Bergevin and his communication staff were also believing this is quite dumbfounding.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I dont understand why everyone has been calling Galchenyuk a 30 goalscorer since the trade happened.
He scored 30 three years ago and his next closest is 20 goals.
And at the same time people are calling Domi a 9 goalscorer despite having scored 18 goals the same year Galchenyuk had 30.

I'm sorry but you make too much sense for this board. You must have clicked on the wrong link.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018

Still was good timing when you think about it. At this time of the year a lot of host are on vacation and friday night doesn't give lots of time to discuss the trade. Yes people will still talk about it, but the impact is not as big as a trade Monday at 1pm. So for him it was perfect timing.

Interesting to see that Galchenyuk's value is not what people expected. I'm not surprised that he didn't warrant top picks or more interesting players. Domi is a great return for him when you take everything into consideration.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the mistake was trading Galch. for another winger. We should've traded him for a D or for draft picks (don't think anyone was trading us a C for him).

The mistake was giving him the 3 year deal and trying to save cap space he didn't use. Bergevin pinned himself in the corner voluntarily. 12 months later, he traded him at low value cause he was not trending well and 2 years away from UFA. I like Domi but like the Subban/Weber trade, we needed to get at least a 2nd round pick or something on top of Domi. Not smart management by our GM

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd prefer Galchenyuk. Not making a trade is always an option. Bergevin doesn't understand this.
Under the circumstances I would not prefer Galchenyuk. The Habs ruined that asset and needed to get something for him before he became worthless. The Galchenyuk I'd want to keep doesn't exist if he's wearing a Habs jersey. It was decided a long time ago that he will never be a center with the Habs, therefore we will never see him reach his full potential. Given this reality the only thing to do (since we aren't getting rid of Bergevin any time soon) is to cut bait. The other reason to get rid of him is the knowledge that the relationship between the player and management over his misuse is irreparable so long as Bergevin remains in place. So you can either trade him now for something or lose him at the end of his contract for nothing because he was never going to resign here. Jamais. That ship sailed a long time ago thanks to Bergevin's stupidity and stubbornness. So all things considered, getting Max Domi isn't the worst possible outcome.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
and yet both players have the same career ppg. how does this rating of yours work?
actually in their first 3 years in the league, domi stats are better.
i was and still not happy with trade from value point of view, but if domi becomes the style of winger radulov was (passer and grit) i can certainly live with that

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I don't understand how people can rate Thomas over Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk HAS scored 30 goals and even though he has been miss used he HAS scored 20+ goals twice.

Thomas or some other A prospect center should be available in a trade.

The only two things that Galchenyuk did not have in his favor are:

1. His +/- -31 which shows that even after 6 years in the league he still has defensive issues.
2. His off ice issues an how much of that played in his overall value.

Well I guess you can only look forward but if someone had told me after 25 years of NOT having an true#1 center that we would be trading PK, Sergachev and Galchenyuk and we STILL would not have a true center I would have laughed at you.

Now I can only cry....

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
The mistake was giving him the 3 year deal and trying to save cap space he didn't use. Bergevin pinned himself in the corner voluntarily. 12 months later, he traded him at low value cause he was not trending well and 2 years away from UFA. I like Domi but like the Subban/Weber trade, we needed to get at least a 2nd round pick or something on top of Domi. Not smart management by our GM

Our asset management is a joke at this point. I like Domi as a player and obviously consensus is we should've gotten more.
I would've preferred a young D-man and draft pick or something like that as opposed to yet another undersized winger (despite how physical he plays). All this idiot GM does is trade for wingers.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Galchenyuk would absolutely not yield Habs a Robert Thomas or any other equivalent. MB has spoken to other GM's for the last few seasons about moving Galchenyuk. He's had countless different offers for him and I don't think waiting for draft day to make the deal would change anything. There's reason to believe Galchenyuk's value isn't as high around the league as we believe. Not to mention, he's probably working on a trade for Pacioretty at the draft, as well as making all of his selections, so he wanted to get the Galchenyuk trade done. He'll have his plate full in Dallas.

Also, there were reports that Penguins were close to acquiring Domi (apparently the offer was Sheary or Rust + Dominik Simon). So if Habs wanted Domi, as they clearly did, they had to swing this deal now or else they'd miss out on him.

As for the 3 trades in the last 3 years before the draft, you are incorrect. Subban was traded after the draft. And Sergachev for Drouin was before the trade freeze for the Expansion Draft. That's why that trade happened at the time it did.

Just wanted to say good post and level headed analysis.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How about 9:00 pm on a Friday night for timing, where the radio shows won’t be on for 48 hours.

So what was AZ doing ? Twirling their fingers waiting for MB? You think another GM is going to care about Montreal media especially when they have an offer from another team.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He got the player he wanted. I don't think he was interested in other offers after he was offered Domi. MB loves team canada a lot.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
So what was AZ doing ? Twirling their fingers waiting for MB? You think another GM is going to care about Montreal media especially when they have an offer from another team.

Nothing in particular, different time zone. So 6PM for them, still business hours.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
While I am not a big fan of the Domi for Galchenyuk trade, what really pushes my button is the diligence behind the timing.

I can't believe that Galchenyuk would not yield you a Robert Thomas or another high end center during draft day.

Did all the other teams even know that Galchenyuk was about to be moved so at least a last minute competitor could drive up the price?

The 3rd trade in the least three years before the draft, why not wait until draft day to see if another GM is ready to overpay?

We only had TWO legit 30 goal scorers on this team and now we have traded one of them away.

In my mind you now HAVE TO draft Zadina just because you lack high end talent throughout your forward group.

Not that I am a fan of our captain, but trading him for even for an over payment would put this team as a lock for 30 place for offence.

Where the heck is the scoring coming from and please don't say Tavares. lol.... why would he come here?!
With all do respect, MTL was never getting Robert thomas.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
and yet both players have the same career ppg. how does this rating of yours work?

Galchenyuk’s a center, Domi’s a left winger. We need quality centres, we don’t need left wingers. We had a center and traded him for a left winger without giving him a fair chance to succeed at that position. For that reason only, the trade is a major failure and another display of horrible asset management.

We’re starving for offense and Galchenyuk, a goal scorer, fitted our team more than Domi. We have no need for more grit and intangibles, we need players who can put the puck in the net. Domi might be a better playmaker but he won’t have anyone to pass to. A bad trade all around orchestred by a complete imbecile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad