Timing of Trades

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
While I am not a big fan of the Domi for Galchenyuk trade, what really pushes my button is the diligence behind the timing.

I can't believe that Galchenyuk would not yield you a Robert Thomas or another high end center during draft day.

Did all the other teams even know that Galchenyuk was about to be moved so at least a last minute competitor could drive up the price?

The 3rd trade in the least three years before the draft, why not wait until draft day to see if another GM is ready to overpay?

We only had TWO legit 30 goal scorers on this team and now we have traded one of them away.

In my mind you now HAVE TO draft Zadina just because you lack high end talent throughout your forward group.

Not that I am a fan of our captain, but trading him for even for an over payment would put this team as a lock for 30 place for offence.

Where the heck is the scoring coming from and please don't say Tavares. lol.... why would he come here?!

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
While I am not a big fan of the Domi for Galchenyuk trade, what really pushes my button is the diligence behind the timing.

I can't believe that Galchenyuk would not yield you a Robert Thomas or another high end center during draft day.

Did all the other teams even know that Galchenyuk was about to be moved so at least a last minute competitor could drive up the price?

The 3rd trade in the least three years before the draft, why not wait until draft day to see if another GM is ready to overpay?

We only had TWO legit 30 goal scorers on this team and now we have traded one of them away.

In my mind you now HAVE TO draft Zadina just because you lack high end talent throughout your forward group.

Not that I am a fan of our captain, but trading him for even for an over payment would put this team as a lock for 30 place for offence.

Where the heck is the scoring coming from and please don't say Tavares. lol.... why would he come here?!

We need to trade Pacio for draft pick/prospect but I'm afraid Bergevin is only trying to get READY now players to plug in the lineup.

I hope we draft Zadina

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Would you trade your top prospect for a 1 time 30 goal scorer, 2 times goal scorer and have off-ice issue and known not to be the hardest worker on ice?
His trade value is low. Probably could've fetch a little more.

Galchenyuk is not a regular 30 goals scorer. he reached it once.

On draft day, you do trades for picks. I'm not sure if it ever happened a trade between two players without any picks involved.

Reactions: aresknights

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
why even bother bringing common sense into a Bergevin move? Of course he didn't do his DD, he only trades with 5 or so teams. AZ, Buffalo, Edmonton, Nashville, Florida and LA. He never gets max value or fills team needs, he just jumps at anything in the moment. Draft day should be fun...

Hello Marc? Its David Poile here.. how does Yanik Weber and Harntell for your 3rd overall sound? We can't part with a Center, sorry.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Galchenyuk would absolutely not yield Habs a Robert Thomas or any other equivalent. MB has spoken to other GM's for the last few seasons about moving Galchenyuk. He's had countless different offers for him and I don't think waiting for draft day to make the deal would change anything. There's reason to believe Galchenyuk's value isn't as high around the league as we believe. Not to mention, he's probably working on a trade for Pacioretty at the draft, as well as making all of his selections, so he wanted to get the Galchenyuk trade done. He'll have his plate full in Dallas.

Also, there were reports that Penguins were close to acquiring Domi (apparently the offer was Sheary or Rust + Dominik Simon). So if Habs wanted Domi, as they clearly did, they had to swing this deal now or else they'd miss out on him.

As for the 3 trades in the last 3 years before the draft, you are incorrect. Subban was traded after the draft. And Sergachev for Drouin was before the trade freeze for the Expansion Draft. That's why that trade happened at the time it did.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

Why would St-Louis trade Thomas?

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

It's possible Arizona offered a player they knew Bergevin couldn't say no to, very much like Nashville did. The end results being similarly uninspiring.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Would you trade your top prospect for a 1 time 30 goal scorer, 2 times goal scorer and have off-ice issue and known not to be the hardest worker on ice?
His trade value is low. Probably could've fetch a little more.

Galchenyuk is not a regular 30 goals scorer. he reached it once.

On draft day, you do trades for picks. I'm not sure if it ever happened a trade between two players without any picks involved.

I think the mistake was trading Galch. for another winger. We should've traded him for a D or for draft picks (don't think anyone was trading us a C for him).

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Domi was 12th in a VERY deep draft. Doubt we’d get better than that this year. His value was apparently quite low. Best offer before Domi was apparently a 27 yo Henrique.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's possible Arizona offered a player they knew Bergevin couldn't say no to, very much like Nashville did. The end results being similarly uninspiring.

This is what I think as well. Other GM’s are well aware of what kind of negotiator he is just from talking to him. The pattern of one for one swaps isn’t just a coincidence. They know how to take advantage of him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I dont understand why everyone has been calling Galchenyuk a 30 goalscorer since the trade happened.
He scored 30 three years ago and his next closest is 20 goals.
And at the same time people are calling Domi a 9 goalscorer despite having scored 18 goals the same year Galchenyuk had 30.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Galchenyuk probably could have yielded a high pick (in the top 15), but not a top prospect whos close to ready, even if the top 15 is excellent this year.

The problem that plagues this team, and has for years, is that the owners since 2009 are idiots. They've mandated the team has to make the playoffs over long term success, so their GM, whos not the brightest either, tries to acquire roster players.

This team would never have pushed for the 15th pick that got Barzal, thats how backwards they are.

Reactions: groovejuice

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
We only had two 30 goal scorers?? Last time I checked Gallagher scored 31... in a season where the rest of the team basically went to shit.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I know there is a hate on for MB. But C'mon, do people really think MB didn't suggest to other teams that AG was available and ask what he may get in return from those teams? He worked the phones and Domi was probably the best return he was getting for a player who is very highly overrated by many MB haters on here. Im not a fan of MB, but he wasnt getting a top rated C prospect or top 3 D for AG. Now, during or after the draft.
Agreed with Adams post. Get it done now n focus on the draft that day. Waiting wouldn't have garnered a larger return

Reactions: JohnnyB11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad