Speculation: Time to move on from Backlund ?

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Yeah maybe that's one of the less serious things that must've happened that Weegar chose to talk about but coaches and players have f*** you matches all the time, and it doesn't mean that they don't get along. Coaches do it to get messages across to other players who might not take it well whereas a veteran like Backs who's been through a lot of coaches on this team is probably able to handle it and brush it off.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
lol Backlund literally wanted out and all the rumors suggest it was because of Sutter. But no, this is just another innocent coincidence in a long line of them.

Reactions: Janks and Fig

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
lol Backlund literally wanted out and all the rumors suggest it was because of Sutter. But no, this is just another innocent coincidence in a long line of them.
Just rumors. Weegar, in a very candid interview said Darryl and Backlund have a long relationship, so Backlund can stick up for himself and throw it back at Darryl. That was it. Backlund himself said his questioning of committing further to Calgary was based on his age and lack of playoff success to date.

Reactions: Nanuuk

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
32yo Kadri, 30yo (next month) Huberdeau, 29yo Weegar, 33yo Markstrom and 31yo Coleman all locked into massive, unmovable long term deals, and people think we're going to rebuild? Backlund or no Backlund there's not going to be a rebuild anytime soon.

Reactions: MM917

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I would move all of Lindholm , Backlund , Toffoli , Tanev , Hanifin and Markstrom for picks if a package for a stud can't t be made . Pelletier and Duehr are both NHL ready and willing to run through a wall to prove it . Dustin Wolf is the back to back AHL goalie of the year and this year's AHL MVP only the 8th time a goalie has won that award , clearly he is more than ready to be a full time NHL goalie . The first six are costing us 29.9 million combined , the latter three are costing @2.5 million , Kylington is supposed to be back at 2.5 so that's 5 million among 4 players replacing 6 . We would have 26 million to spend on a couple of studs , say 1 top 4 D , 1 top 6 F and a couple of ELC or league minimum vets , It wouldn't hurt to have a Lucic or Ryan Reeves playing grocery stick at league minmum to keep the everybody safe eh!

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Dustin Wolf is the back to back AHL goalie of the year and this year's AHL MVP only the 8th time a goalie has won that award , clearly he is more than ready to be a full time NHL goalie . T
More than ready to be given an NHL job, but they might not want him sitting on the bench if Markstrom is playing the bulk. I don't see that happening, but Conroy seemed to imply it. If they're a tandem, that's fine. I'd caution against thinking too far ahead with Wolf, even with his pedigree. You never know with goalies.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
More than ready to be given an NHL job, but they might not want him sitting on the bench if Markstrom is playing the bulk. I don't see that happening, but Conroy seemed to imply it. If they're a tandem, that's fine. I'd caution against thinking too far ahead with Wolf, even with his pedigree. You never know with goalies.
My point was to dump Markstrom and his 6m , platooning him with Wolf instead of Vladar is circular logic . Both Valdar and Wolf are better , younger options than Markstrom , they both just need reps and those only come from playing .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad