Speculation: Time to move on from Backlund ?

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
I’ll start by saying I know this will likely be an unpopular opinion because a lot of people would love to see Backs as the captain here and for him to retire a Flame, but I got to thinking the other day that whether or not he requests a trade, this may be the off-season we have to move on from him, IF we are able to resign Lindholm long term this offseason, which I know is something we all want.

He’s 34 years old and coming off a career year so now would be our time to sell high and he’s not likely to take less on his next contract after this season as it will be his last contract likely, which means 5mil + for a guy we will playing 3C. With Lindholm and Kadri down the middle at 7+mil each, we simply can’t afford to keep Backs at 5mil.
If we can move him to a team at the draft looking for a C like Minny for a 2nd, I say we jump at it and open up the cap space. Dube is on record saying he enjoys playing C most. Stick him at 3C next season and get some cheap depth with the cap space.

Thoughts ?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I’ll start by saying I know this will likely be an unpopular opinion because a lot of people would love to see Backs as the captain here and for him to retire a Flame, but I got to thinking the other day that whether or not he requests a trade, this may be the off-season we have to move on from him, IF we are able to resign Lindholm long term this offseason, which I know is something we all want.

He’s 34 years old and coming off a career year so now would be our time to sell high and he’s not likely to take less on his next contract after this season as it will be his last contract likely, which means 5mil + for a guy we will playing 3C. With Lindholm and Kadri down the middle at 7+mil each, we simply can’t afford to keep Backs at 5mil.
If we can move him to a team at the draft looking for a C like Minny for a 2nd, I say we jump at it and open up the cap space. Dube is on record saying he enjoys playing C most. Stick him at 3C next season and get some cheap depth with the cap space.

Thoughts ?

once they have a new GM and possibly coach they should sit down and figure out exactly what he wants and if it is a fresh start with a contender work something out. If he would like to see how things go next season, he is the one pending UFA who had a career year that I would be willing to enter the season with and potentially have him walk for free next offseason.

Reactions: viper0220

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He's a lifelong Flame and should retire as one.

But the smarter move would be to sell high and move him this summer. Ditto for Toffoli & one of Hanifin/Tanev. Moving Backlund should get your a fairly good return (lol @ a 2nd; 1st+ or gtfo) & would open up a needed center spot for one of Ruzicka/Dube/Zary.

But this is the Flames we're talking about. It's already written in stone that they'll lose all four of these guys for nothing to free agency next summer.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Backlund is the Flames' best forward.
Move on? Should give him the C.

If you trade him, I think it's a better deadline deal, not an off-season deal. Team may rebound with new coaching.

If playoffs are in question, retain at 50% see what you can get at the deadline.

If you can get a top ten pick in 2023 from a team like Washington, I think you gotta consider it as you never get high picks at the deadline

that said Backlund is the Flames' best forward, so moving him would be a rebuilding move

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I love Backs as much as the next guy but I would not be opposed to trading him for the right return.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
No one can beat Father Time; guy’s got two seasons max at maintaining current level then will be a 4th liner.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Backlund is the Flames' best forward.

If you can get a top ten pick in 2023 from a team like Washington, I think you gotta consider it as you never get high picks at the deadline

that said Backlund is the Flames' best forward, so moving him would be a rebuilding move
I would hate that.

I would do it, but I would hate it.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Yes of course you trade him let’s not be fools about this. We traded Iginla when we needed to rebuild and he wanted to spend his last years chasing a ring. You of course give Backlund the same treatment and try to recoup something for the future.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes of course you trade him let’s not be fools about this. We traded Iginla when we needed to rebuild and he wanted to spend his last years chasing a ring. You of course give Backlund the same treatment and try to recoup something for the future.
Your post carries the message that this team is heading into a rebuild, but I don't get that sense from the team at all. If we were clearly doing that, then yes Backlund would absolutely be a part of the sell-off. But if this team is looking at the coaching change as a way to unlock more than what was shown by this roster last year, then it's very unlikely that they look to trade him.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Your post carries the message that this team is heading into a rebuild, but I don't get that sense from the team at all. If we were clearly doing that, then yes Backlund would absolutely be a part of the sell-off. But if this team is looking at the coaching change as a way to unlock more than what was shown by this roster last year, then it's very unlikely that they look to trade him.
I’m not saying the team is heading to a rebuild, I’m saying they should be heading to a rebuild. Or at the very least be proactive.

And we’re taking about a 34 year old heading into the last year of his contract coming off a pretty good year. Unless he’s extending for a very team friendly deal because he wants to retire a Flame, a proactive GM who just missed the playoffs is maximizing a return on him to help the future. It’s just good asset management. Something this team never does.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I have so little expectations right now. Trading Backs to a contender for a 1st seems reasonable to me. At the same time I would like to keep him a Flame for life. Too bad we didn't have the new arena built 5-10 years ago already. This ain't an attractive place to play for awhile, and i don't think we're going to contend any time soon. Who knows. I want 1st round picks for a long time. Lots and lots of them.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have so little expectations right now. Trading Backs to a contender for a 1st seems reasonable to me. At the same time I would like to keep him a Flame for life. Too bad we didn't have the new arena built 5-10 years ago already. This ain't an attractive place to play for awhile, and i don't think we're going to contend any time soon. Who knows. I want 1st round picks for a long time. Lots and lots of them.
A first from a contender is actually not valued all that highly. If we were trading him this offseason it would need to be for a bigger score, because it would be a package including a first at the deadline.

Reactions: Tofveve

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I can't imagine a team picking in the top ten would trade it for Backlund, even though he did have an excellent season at age 34. Who knows though.

Reactions: Tofveve

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The team is really stuck in no man’s land.

Rebuild? What to do with Huberdeau, Kadri, and Markstrom.
Push for playoffs and risk losing Lindholm, Backlund, Tanev and others for nothing . And the team is not a contender anyway

Treliving really left a mess. No wonder he cut and run.

Reactions: Backlund

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Push for playoffs and risk losing Lindholm, Backlund, Tanev and others for nothing . And the team is not a contender anyway

It's really not much different than what LA just went through. I think the important thing is to stop the bleeding. A fresh face, with no personal ties to the team/players, will give an unbiased evaluation and move players accordingly. We can't let anymore of these guys walk for nothing.

Reactions: DFF

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005

Yep, no man’s land is right; team has all the pieces to be next years Seattle but then what to do with all those UFAs?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Backlund and Darryl Sutter did not get along, they got into a "f*** you" matchup's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad