*time to move Byfuglien to LW/RW* here is why

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't disagree with two forward shifts in a period every few games to mess with the other teams schemes a bit, that could actually be sort of deadly, but he is a solid, and very dangerous defenseman, and that's where he should stay.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Honestly, Byfuglien and Kane on opposite wings would probably be a very effective combo clearing space for one another, but he is and wants to be one of our better defencemen, so that's where he is going to (and should) stay.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I definatly used to think Buff should move up to RW. His play this season has changed my mind though, keep him on the blue line.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Dangerous d-man > mediocre forward

abso freaking lutely.

look at buffs carreer numbers at forward vs d man.

oh that playoff stretch has you all hot and bothered?

look at the first 3-4 months of him as a dman in 2010-11. well over a PPG in that stretch... i'll take the career 45+ pt dman (who can dominate at over a ppg for some stretches) over the 25-30 pt forward whose a minus who got hot once.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
We even tried Buff at RW on the PP this year and he's still waaaay better on the point.

I'll stick with my all-star defenseman over a 3rd line RW anyday.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
byfuglien has never said that. It was the Thrashers GM who made that move and it was reported million of times that other teams GM's were happy because he would be less of a threat.

it was also known that Dudley was asked why would you want to make that move when Buff could get 50 pts as a forward. his response was something because it would be great to have a defensmen that can score 50 pts.

All in all Buff would not even be in the NHL if it wasn't his run in the playoffs with the blackhawks. He was destined to be an AHL defensmen until Bowman made the decision with the coaches to put him on the 3rd line.

I think this is right. My recollection is that Buff agreed to try defense for Waddell.

Not that it matters that much.

One thing. Buff has been playing different on defense lately - in the offensive zone. Moving around a lot more - mixing in and out - giving the other team headaches. Less hanging out on the point waiting for the boomer. In short, from his D position he's been playing like he did as a forward in Chicago - and he's been more effective.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Is this even a point of contention?
Buff started at D, moved to forward during his time with the 'Hawks, then moved back to D with the Thrashers.
Buff has no interest in playing forward, he said that last year.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Is this even a point of contention?
Buff started at D, moved to forward during his time with the 'Hawks, then moved back to D with the Thrashers.
Buff has no interest in playing forward, he said that last year.

'Cept maybe as the extra attacker on a delayed penalty. :naughty:

But seriously. Why is this a thing.

He scores more points as a D, and that way we also get to have him as our #1 D. Win win.

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
He played his entire career as a youth and junior at D.

Besides they would move him up to forward and then people would just complain how slow he is and doesn't backcheck.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Without reading all other 44 responses here is 5 good reasons why it won't happen. EVER.

1) Dustin Byfuglien specifically said he will NOT play forward.
2) Dustin Byfuglien specifically said he will NOT play forward.
3) Dustin Byfuglien specifically said he will NOT play forward.
4) Dustin Byfuglien specifically said he will NOT play forward.
and just in case you don't understand the first 4
5) Dustin Byfuglien specifically said he will NOT play forward.

Like it or not Dustin is a defensemen who rushes the puck, the only time he could remotely be utilized as a half forward is on the powerplay when Noel tells him to park his big ass, all 265lbs of it, in front of the opposing goalies face.

Dustin is fine where he is.

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
Dustin Byfuglien is clearly the most valuable and best hockey player the Winnipeg Jets have. But he is not the best defensmen......

Byfuglien is the best Jets player for puck control at centre ice / as well is the best at moving it into the attack zone. He sets plays up and makes plays for his teammates.

If he wants to play a hybrid role. Put him at FORWARD and let him play DEFENSMEN for fun.

He could be a superstar player not just in the eyes of Jets fans but the entire hockey world. A complete waste of talent and value having him play in the back end.

2400302pafip6z.gif

It's weird that I remember the same thing as fats even though you have the opposite recollection. It almost feels like I was there when it happened...

Funny thread though! :laugh:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
2400302pafip6z.gif

It's weird that I remember the same thing as fats even though you have the opposite recollection. It almost feels like I was there when it happened...

Funny thread though! :laugh:

Frankly shocked that it took 2 whole pages for that Gif to appear.

I've been waiting. :handclap:

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff needs to stay on D with this team at this moment in time. What the future holds, who knows.

I can tell you, I have had conversations on this topic with Buff, and he has no interest in moving up to play wing. NO INTEREST. ZERO. NIL.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
He's Happy Gilmore with marginally better skating skills.

You're kidding, yes? You missed a :sarcasm: in your message?

I'll just leave this here.

That was on an offsetting-minors 4-on-4 situation. He needs lots of open space to maneouver. He could be awesome in the KHL, or in an Olympics on the wider IIHF-standard ice surface. As it is, Byfuglien is best utilized in the NHL as a freewheeling offensive Dman. That gives us the best of both worlds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad