*time to move Byfuglien to LW/RW* here is why

JetsAccess*

Dustin Byfuglien is clearly the most valuable and best hockey player the Winnipeg Jets have. But he is not the best defensmen......

Byfuglien is the best Jets player for puck control at centre ice / as well is the best at moving it into the attack zone. He sets plays up and makes plays for his teammates.

If he wants to play a hybrid role. Put him at FORWARD and let him play DEFENSMEN for fun.

He could be a superstar player not just in the eyes of Jets fans but the entire hockey world. A complete waste of talent and value having him play in the back end.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Or we use our center man to be aware when hes attacking and act responsible defensively, since they suck at offense in the first place.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
He's played forward. He wasn't a superstar. He was a 30 point forward. It would be idiotic to move him back. Hope that helps

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Time to move him onto the bike/treadmill.

He'd be some much more effective if his conditioning were improved.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
were a better team with buff on D

that being said I wouldnt mind seeing him used as a forward situationally... we did put him in front of the net on the powerplay a couple times earlier.. obvs you then miss his shot at the point but i like the fact that if you use it randomly it would give their D something to think about. a little different look. might catch them off guard if they have a smaller D pairing on the ice

maybe even late in the game if we needed a goal or something... but again, every once in a while type deal. not regularly.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Or we use our center man to be aware when hes attacking and act responsible defensively, since they suck at offense in the first place.

This. He would be a great forward I'm sure, but he lacks stamina to be a constant threat every night in the top six. I like the way we maximize his puck rushing within Noel's system.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I just stopped by because I heard somebody had posted a "move Buff to forward" thread and I had to see it with my own eyes! :eek:

JetsAccess*

He's played forward. He wasn't a superstar. He was a 30 point forward. It would be idiotic to move him back. Hope that helps

He was a superstar lol, he should have been conn smythe in the playoffs.

And if he played on the 1st line he would have led the blackhawks in scoring!

JetsAccess*

This. Apparently Buff has made it clear he does not want to play forward.

byfuglien has never said that. It was the Thrashers GM who made that move and it was reported million of times that other teams GM's were happy because he would be less of a threat.

it was also known that Dudley was asked why would you want to make that move when Buff could get 50 pts as a forward. his response was something because it would be great to have a defensmen that can score 50 pts.

All in all Buff would not even be in the NHL if it wasn't his run in the playoffs with the blackhawks. He was destined to be an AHL defensmen until Bowman made the decision with the coaches to put him on the 3rd line.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
were a better team with buff on D

that being said I wouldnt mind seeing him used as a forward situationally... we did put him in front of the net on the powerplay a couple times earlier.. obvs you then miss his shot at the point but i like the fact that if you use it randomly it would give their D something to think about. a little different look. might catch them off guard if they have a smaller D pairing on the ice

maybe even late in the game if we needed a goal or something... but again, every once in a while type deal. not regularly.

Actually... I think this is an ok response.
Byfuglien has influenced the game better as a defenseman than he has a forward (other than half a playoff series), but it would be interesting to throw it once in a blue moon to **** with the other team similar to how Noel double shifts Wheeler and Kane at times.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He was a superstar lol, he should have been conn smythe in the playoffs.

And if he played on the 1st line he would have led the blackhawks in scoring!

I would weight his results over the entirety of the playoffs and season, over one short half of a playoff series...
If you do this, this is not true. His points per a minute was less than many in the top6 of CHI and many were taking tougher matchups than he was.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
byfuglien has never said that. It was the Thrashers GM who made that move and it was reported million of times that other teams GM's were happy because he would be less of a threat.

it was also known that Dudley was asked why would you want to make that move when Buff could get 50 pts as a forward. his response was something because it would be great to have a defensmen that can score 50 pts.

All in all Buff would not even be in the NHL if it wasn't his run in the playoffs with the blackhawks. He was destined to be an AHL defensmen until Bowman made the decision with the coaches to put him on the 3rd line.

Wow, great story. Completely fabricated, but it sounds good. The only reason Byfuglien played forward for Chicago is during his rookie year, they had a logjam at D and needed forwards. He started at D with the Blackhawks. When he came to Atlanta during the offseason, both Dudley and Byfuglien himself were clear he wanted to play defense. He reiterated at least once or twice that I've heard with my own ears on camera.

:laugh: I swear...

JetsAccess*

Wow, great story. Completely fabricated, but it sounds good. The only reason Byfuglien played forward for Chicago is during his rookie year, they had a logjam at D and needed forwards. He started at D with the Blackhawks. When he came to Atlanta during the offseason, both Dudley and Byfuglien himself were clear he wanted to play defense. He reiterated at least once or twice that I've heard with my own ears on camera.

:laugh: I swear...

you are wrong on both counts.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
No. Would rather have one of the top scoring d-men in the league, than a mediocre 2nd / 3rd line forward.

Perhaps tasked specifically with PP work in front of the net, yes, but I'd rather have Enstrom back and Buff with the bomb on the point.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
you are wrong on both counts.

Well...

There aren't many players who have been able to make a midseason -- and sometimes midgame -- transition from offense to defense, and back again, the way Byfuglien has done this season. Earlier this season, Byfuglien said he prefers defense. What does his biggest fan say?

"Defense, for sure," Sheryl said emphatically. "He gets more ice time and has the puck more."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=5171730

Q. So you are saying that it’s a real possibility that Byfuglien will switch to defense?

A. It’s a position that he likes to play. It’s a position that I thought he was well on his way to being a top, top defenseman in Chicago. We moved him to forward because we had no size up front. Obviously, he proved to be a very effective forward but that doesn’t mean he’s not an effective defenseman.

Q. Do you know if he has a preference, forward or defenseman?

A. He likes to play defense.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashers-blog/2010/08/26/will-bfyuglien-switch-to-defense/

We touched on the possibility of Dustin Byfuglien moving back to his “natural†defensive position earlier this summer when GM Rick Dudley expressed a preference to do so, but now it’s nearly confirmed as Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay expressed an interest to do the same. That means that Byfuglien, Dudley and Ramsay all would prefer for the burly multi-skilled player to move back to the blueline.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...stin-byfuglien-will-begin-camp-as-defenseman/

Is three sources enough?

:teach:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad