Injury Report: Tim Gleason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Some major knocks that Canes fans had on Gleason were that he is a really slow skater and he brings nothing in the offensive zone.

I don't think they realized they were telling this to a team that has Mark Fraser, Paul Ranger and Cody Franson who are all turtle-tier at skating. And we don't need any offense out of him either, we have Gards, Rielly, Phaneuf and Franson who are all capable of bringing offense, kind of the reason we shipped Liles out.

This dudes been a perfect fit for the team, VERY glad we traded for him.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I mentioned before that i really like him and the trade is a no brainer but he's a -5 since arriving.

I get he's getting all the love for his heart and style of play which we desperately need but you'd think he was Scott Stevens with all the love

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Gleason backing up Gunnar as another dman who can actually play D (other than Phaneuf) makes us so much better. Gleason's a warrior, really happy that he's okay.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I mentioned before that i really like him and the trade is a no brainer but he's a -5 since arriving.

I get he's getting all the love for his heart and style of play which we desperately need but you'd think he was Scott Stevens with all the love

+/- is the most skewed stat in our sport case and point. Mark Fraser last year was a +18 and I don't have to point out to people what he has been this year.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
+/- is the most skewed stat in our sport case and point. Mark Fraser last year was a +18 and I don't have to point out to people what he has been this year.

Mark Fraser also had a puck cave in his forehead. He hasn't been the same since. That's the skew in that example

Am I the only one concerned with the fact that Carolinas table scraps are now viewed as one of our top dmen?
I reiterate, like gleason a lot.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Mark Fraser also had a puck cave in his forehead. He hasn't been the same since. That's the skew in that example

Am I the only one concerned with the fact that Carolinas table scraps are now viewed as one of our top dmen?

If that's your only concern, you should see who the Canes had ahead of Gleason in their line up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Some major knocks that Canes fans had on Gleason were that he is a really slow skater and he brings nothing in the offensive zone.

That's not accurate. Gleason has never brought anything in the offensive zone and Canes fans never expected he would. He has always been a "defensive defenseman" in Carolina. The problem over the past couple of years has been his skating had degraded, his mobility has decreased and his confidence was down. He blocked a lot of shots, but he got into the habit of trying to block them while being right in front of the goalie, which ended up just screening the goalie.

Honestly, he's a good fit for how Toronto wants to use him and seems to be getting his confidence back, but not a good fit for Carolina. Same goes for Liles who has been solid with the Canes. I hope both guys have continued success over the length of their contracts.

Kyle Doobas*

Fraser's success last season had more to do with him having played in the AHL for the first half, IMO. Towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, when everyone else was back up to speed, he looked every bit as awful as he did this year. It also didn't hurt that his most frequent partner, Franson, also had a very good year playing sheltered minutes on the bottom pairing, before graduating to a top-four role that he's completely bombed in.

There's a reason Fraser was playing in the AHL before he got here, even with an organization known for getting quite a bit out of big, slow veteran guys.

That's not accurate. Gleason has never brought anything in the offensive zone and Canes fans never expected he would. He has always been a "defensive defenseman" in Carolina. The problem over the past couple of years has been his skating had degraded, his mobility has decreased and his confidence was down. He blocked a lot of shots, but he got into the habit of trying to block them while being right in front of the goalie, which ended up just screening the goalie.

Honestly, he's a good fit for how Toronto wants to use him and seems to be getting his confidence back, but not a good fit for Carolina. Same goes for Liles who has been solid with the Canes. I hope both guys have continued success over the length of their contracts.
Agreed. Liles didn't really have a role here and we needed a guy like Gleason, and vice-versa for the Canes. Pretty classic 'win-win' trade, especially when you consider their ages, how similar their contracts are, etc.

^ Agreed.

I really hope Liles continues to play well with you guys. He's a truly good hockey person.
The first thing he did after getting traded to Toronto was visit the Sick Kids' Hospital, and one year here he spent his Christmas morning serving food to Toronto's homeless. Awesome guy. Despite the crappy situation he ended up in here, if that 24/7 scene is any indication, he still had all kinds of respect from everyone in the locker room.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011

This, pretty much. He's a square jawed git r dun blue collar player that the white collar fans here in Toronto like to pretend is a reflection of the character of the city. He's had some horrific games, and was as bad as Franson against TB, but because he got injured blocking a shot, it makes him a hero. Someone mentioned that he's made some very visible and dramatic shot blocks (late in the game, staggered to the ice in pain), but someone like Gunnarsson blocks just as many shots and doesn't get nearly as much love for it.

He's better than Fraser though, much more calm under pressure and puts himself in good position to receive a pass from his partner. Nice, quiet game. Only one of his mistakes have ended up in the back of the net so far, hopefully that luck continues.

mikebel111*

Been great for us.
Hopefully he lessens the load on first pair and nonis when he is looking for d man

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Reading my post above it came across as supremely negative. Overall I'm glad Gleason is a Leaf at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad