Tickets Not Selling

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm sure this comes as a surprise to no one.

Even if they pull off the games without any major problem it is going to leave a legacy of debt.

There could be quite a few empty seats at the Olympic Games in Rio this summer.

With just half of tickets sold and only four months before kickoff, Brazil's new minister of sports, Richardo Leyser, is looking into ways to boost ticket sales.

He told Brazilian newspaper Folha that the Brazilian government may purchase tickets that will be distributed to public schools. He said public officials must also work to boost worldwide confidence in Rio's ability to host the games and ensure travelers' safety.

The country is in the midst of a political upheaval and massive protests, and lawmakers are currently considering a request to impeach President Dilma Rousseff.

Leyser was tapped to replace Brazil's former sports minister, who resigned just days ago.

The country's economy is also collapsing, suffering the worst recession in 25 years.

It's also unclear whether construction of the Olympic facilities will be finished as organizers have faced steep funding constraints -- the budget was slashed by $500 million in January.

And there's concern that Brazil won't be able to attract tourists to the games over fears about high crime rates and terrorism. Brazil plans to use twice as many security agents as were used during the games in London in 2012.

Athletes and health experts have raised concerns about the mosquito-borne Zika virus and have lobbied for the games to be postponed. Brazilian officials have opposed the idea.

Source

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
The book someone is going to write about the events leading up the Olympics will be quite the read. Many other countries have issues with unsold tickets and venues not being ready til the last minute, but everything else in Rio including the water issues, the politics, the Zika virus, it's almost unbelievable.

Oct 18, 2006
I'm sure it'll be a fine Olympic games, I can't wait.

But I really don't think they should've been given host duties.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I hope it looks embarrassing for them. Maybe next time they'll give the Games to a city that's actually capable of hosting them.

Jan 3, 2012
url

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I wouldn't have had a problem giving them to Rio if they had not had just had the World Cup. You can't do the two that close.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
High crime rate, expensive accomodations and flights, crazy system to get tickets if you're not brazilian (I should ask the italian IOC but there is no indication how to do so): after two editions I'm skipping happily the Olympic Games in Rio, even if I think that at the end the Olympics will be fine as usual.
See you again in Tokyo, I will have zero worries there.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
It is time that the people who organize these events type of giant events stop going places that are 'iffy' just because they think they are giving these countries something special. Perhaps it sounds bad, but they should stick with the real 1st world countries that can actually pull it off and not make a mess of it. Even the 1st world countries have problems with hosting, but at least they can pull it off without this kind of mess.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Tokyo is awesome. Go travel and see the world.

I do like to travel but to me Tokyo is nothing but Japan's NYC(and NYC isn't that great)I mean if you like traveling a place like NYC is boring because as far as activities go there's not much. Its not like you have mountains to climb and stuff. When I travel I like new opportunities. I don't exactly consider walking downtown through a city a one and only experience.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I do like to travel but to me Tokyo is nothing but Japan's NYC(and NYC isn't that great)I mean if you like traveling a place like NYC is boring because as far as activities go there's not much. Its not like you have mountains to climb and stuff. When I travel I like new opportunities. I don't exactly consider walking downtown through a city a one and only experience.

Mt Fuji, beaches, countryside to explore, smaller villages to check out, a ton of things in Tokyo proper(fighting robot restaurant for example).

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

I'm not that much of a city guy either. But dude..Tokyo is an amazing city. Spent an entire week there last October, and by far the most pleasant "big city" I've ever been to. Can't compare it to NYC in that sense. There's a lot of sight seeing actually.

There is a very nice blend of old and new. If you've ever seen Blade Runner, going to the Tokyo Skytree and seeing the city at night it's just like that movie. Not very far is the Senso Ji complex where you can see people dressed in kimonos walking around. It's also very orderly as expected. I even took a bike tour was just a great experience. Not a single moment did I feel unsafe or have any reservations about going literally anywhere.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Mt Fuji, beaches, countryside to explore, smaller villages to check out, a ton of things in Tokyo proper(fighting robot restaurant for example).

Lol a fighting robot restaurant? WTF? Sounds like a dining experience in between the middle of the battle bots competition. I do want to climb Mt. Everest one day. Now, that's a challenge. I've never mountain climbed before but go big or go home as they like to say.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm not that much of a city guy either. But dude..Tokyo is an amazing city. Spent an entire week there last October, and by far the most pleasant "big city" I've ever been to. Can't compare it to NYC in that sense. There's a lot of sight seeing actually.

There is a very nice blend of old and new. If you've ever seen Blade Runner, going to the Tokyo Skytree and seeing the city at night it's just like that movie. Not very far is the Senso Ji complex where you can see people dressed in kimonos walking around. It's also very orderly as expected. I even took a bike tour was just a great experience. Not a single moment did I feel unsafe or have any reservations about going literally anywhere.

I actually don't mind cities. I would like to live in big cities throughout my career but not travel to them so much. I want to see the world. Granted the only exceptions to this is Europe. I wouldn't mind seeing the big cities in Europe. Part of that I suppose is I want to go to soccer matches in places like Italy, France and England for example. So I guess taking in that atmosphere. But I've heard many people rave about Europe in general. I'd have to take a whole year off to go through that continent though lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad