News Article: THW article, Devils Draft: Domi, Shinkaruk, Horvat or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I recently wrote a two-round mock draft for THW: http://thehockeywriters.com/ives-mock-able-two-round-2013-nhl-mock-draft/

I was pretty certain of the first 8 picks: MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Nurse, Nichushkin.

Assuming the draft plays out that way (though I still think if Nichushkin drops past #6, Lamoriello trades up w/ EDM to get him), who do you think the Devils would draft?

I have heard from different sources that the Devils have interest in Domi, Horvat, Shinkaruk or Zadorov. I went with Domi for my column, but not with a great deal of confidence.

What do you guys think?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I think anyone who tells you anything beyond "Devils would prefer a forward, but will take a defenseman is he's at the top of their list when they pick" is spitting nonsense.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Assuming we stay at #9:

I would be thrilled beyond belief if one of Nichuskin/Lindholm/Monahan fell, however unlikely.
I would be very happy with Domi.
I would be reasonably satisfied with Shinkaruk.
I would be neutral/slightly disappointed with Nurse or Ristolainen.
I would very upset with Horvat or Zadorov at this selection.

MountainGoat

Domi is the only player I've seen play on a regular basis, fingers crossed we draft him.

his work ethic is easily his best attribute, busts his ass every game like Parise did for us during the regular season

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think we will pick one of these players:

Horvat: 30% chance
Shink: 25% chance
Domi: 25% chance
Nurse: 15% chance
Risto: 5% chance

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I wouldn't get too upset cause Horvat seems more likely to be a Conte pick than Domi

I'd be upset with Horvat at #9. He could easily be available later.

If Lou wanted to trade down to 12-15 and grab Horvat there while picking up a late 2nd/early 3rd, I'd be okay with it.

But I think there's a noticeable gap between Domi/Shink/Nurse/Risto and the next tier of guys, and to skip over them with a top-10 pick while gaining nothing else would be a bad idea.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'd be upset with Horvat at #9. He could easily be available later.

If Lou wanted to trade down to 12-15 and grab Horvat there while picking up a late 2nd/early 3rd, I'd be okay with it.

But I think there's a noticeable gap between Domi/Shink/Nurse/Risto and the next tier of guys, and to skip over them with a top-10 pick while gaining nothing else would be a bad idea.

That's based on some ratings.
Every year you will find guys drafted in late first round and later rounds end up having much better success than guys in top 12.

B A T M A N

Shinkaruk looks like a stud. I really do hope we take him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
In defense of Horvat & Zadorov

Assuming we stay at #9:

I would be thrilled beyond belief if one of Nichuskin/Lindholm/Monahan fell, however unlikely.

We all of course have our preferences, but keep in mind that Zadorov is further along than Nurse and has far more upside than Ristolainen.

As for Horvat, he is very comparable to Patrice Bergeron.

If Nichushkin slips past Tampa and Carolina (very possible), expect Lamoriello to be on the phone with Edmonton that very second about flipping the #9 pick for #7.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Assuming we stay at #9:

exactly my thoughts. I put Domi and Shinkaruk at roughly the same level though. I go back and forth between them day to day

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We all of course have our preferences, but keep in mind that Zadorov is further along than Nurse and has far more upside than Ristolainen.

As for Horvat, he is very comparable to Patrice Bergeron.

If Nichushkin slips past Tampa and Carolina (very possible), expect Lamoriello to be on the phone with Edmonton that very second about flipping the #9 pick for #7.

I'm not trying to diss Horvat, I'd just prefer a pure offense guy over a two-way guy. We have plenty of two-way prospects/roster players, have a desperate need for offensive talent, and rarely have a draft pick this high. I'd rather not blow that opportunity by drafting a safe player.

If anything, I agree, I'd love to jump up and grab Nichuskin if he's on the board.

For the defensive guys....I just don't think picking a defenseman is smart move for this organization right now - that being said, I acknowledge these guys have world class talent and whoever we pick will immediately be our best prospect regardless of position. If we did pick one I'd prefer Nurse/Risto to Zadorov.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I'm not trying to diss Horvat, I'd just prefer a pure offense guy over a two-way guy. We have plenty of two-way prospects/roster players, have a desperate need for offensive talent, and rarely have a draft pick this high. I'd rather not blow that opportunity by drafting a safe player.

If anything, I agree, I'd love to jump up and grab Nichuskin if he's on the board.

Horvat is a great two way player, and a great setup guy who can score himself. but hes not the fit for us right now. someone like the Jets or Jackets are going to get a great player but not us. I hope.

B A T M A N

Assuming we stay at #9:

I am on the same boat with you about Nurse, Ristolainen, Horvat and Zadorov. I want nothing to do with any of them.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I am on the same boat with you about Nurse, Ristolainen, Horvat and Zadorov. I want nothing to do with any of them.

If we needed D this year, those are 3 great picks. put not this year. Horvat like I said is also good, but we need to use the high pick for a dynamo

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Nurse will be a great pro.

I am also intrigued by Nurse, the fact he's a huge Devils fan being part of that. How cool is it that a relative of both an NBA player (Seth son of Popeye Jones) and NFL player (Darnell Nurse, nephew of Donovan McNabb) will both be taken within the top half (or third) of the first round?

P.S. Can anyone spare a.... draft ticket?

apice3*

I don't even think he's great. I'm always wary of the one-year wonder leading up to a draft.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Shink or Domi will be a Devil tomorrow.

That's what I'm feeling right now....

It looks that way. I still cant pick between them. argh. but its nearly 5am and im trying not to think too hard lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad