Thoughts on Kostitsyns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
Exactly. Kostitsyn may have had a very good game, but that doesn't make him a potential franchise player.

No it doesn't. What makes Kostitsyn a potential franchise player is that he's been considered such since his draft year. IMO, last night's game proves that he's a potential franchise player!

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Fozz said:
No it doesn't. What makes Kostitsyn a potential franchise player is that he's been considered such since his draft year. IMO, last night's game proves that he's a potential franchise player!

Where has Kostitsyn been rated a franchise player? Everything I've read has said 1st line scorer. Just because he's on the 1st line doesn't mean he'll be a franchise player. Eric Lindros was a franchise player, Wayne Gretzky, Lemieux, Mark Messier, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, those guys are franchise players, and I haven't read any source saying Kostitsyn might reach their talent level.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
SneakerPimp82 said:
Where has Kostitsyn been rated a franchise player? Everything I've read has said 1st line scorer. Just because he's on the 1st line doesn't mean he'll be a franchise player. Eric Lindros was a franchise player, Wayne Gretzky, Lemieux, Mark Messier, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, those guys are franchise players, and I haven't read any source saying Kostitsyn might reach their talent level.

The only team that Lindros was a franchise player for was Quebec/Colorado. He indirectly helped make that team/franchise.

Vic Rattlehead*

BLNY said:
The only team that Lindros was a franchise player for was Quebec/Colorado. He indirectly helped make that team/franchise.
In his early years with Philadelphia, he was a franchise player.

velimiiro

417 TO MTL said:
This is the exact type of quote that makes me harp on about the hating on these boards, I swear, if Ovechkin was from belarus and would of scored those points, everyone would be going crazy...

US team fell asleep, please, if you can't see he dominated that game, well you were watching the wrong game, nobody on the US squad could keep up with him physically, it wasn't even close...

I think you're the one who fell asleep...

Some people can't just give respect where respect is due :shakehead

Good post

velimiiro

I like Kostitsyn's acceleration alot... reminds me a bit of Kovalchuk. He was impressive and clearly the best player on the ice. I think montreal should be very happy they have a prospect like Kostitsyn in their system.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
IMO, (since the thread asked for posters opinions), one game or one tournament has not remarkably changed my opinion of Kosty before he went into this tournament. I think he was an excellent pick by the Canadiens - a boom or bust pick at the draft. (Not my words, those were the words of most draft previews). He is not however a franchise player - a very overused word on this board. IMO, top side he is a 1st liner - which is not an insult by any stretch. If every 1st round pick turned out to be a 1st line player, that would be great! The fact that he is showing his quality in this tournament is a good thing that gives hope that his so far current AHL career is merely reflecting how difficult it is to adjust to North American lifestyle and game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I think the point is that the clearly defined opinions of most posters don't come out until you challenge them to support their assertions. Most of the time, when you ask for opinions, you get emotional responses with nothing to back it up, which in turn leads to emotional replies and accusations...sort of makes you wonder why people ask for opinions in the first place, but whatever...

Last night's game was a huge upset, and the star of the winning team was a player that Habs fans have waited a few years to finally see, and now they're excited about what they see...nothing wrong with that...unfortunately there's a few extreme opinions about the player out there - both positive and negative - and that tends to drown out all the moderate opinions, including those expressed by non-Montreal fans on this thread...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
neogeo69 said:
Uh huh... so you're NOT a homer - but you can't discuss a dissenting opinion about Kosty without resorting to personal attacks.

The thread asked for posters' opinions about Kosty and some people gave it. So what if you don't like their opinions? TML were respectful and not nasty about it - just tone down your attitude and discuss.

IMO, (since the thread asked for posters opinions), one game or one tournament has not remarkably changed my opinion of Kosty before he went into this tournament. I think he was an excellent pick by the Canadiens - a boom or bust pick at the draft. (Not my words, those were the words of most draft previews). He is not however a franchise player - a very overused word on this board. IMO, top side he is a 1st liner - which is not an insult by any stretch. If every 1st round pick turned out to be a 1st line player, that would be great! The fact that he is showing his quality in this tournament is a good thing that gives hope that his so far current AHL career is merely reflecting how difficult it is to adjust to North American lifestyle and game.

Well, I felt he attacked me personally by calling me out as a homer, which I am anything but, go over any of my post, you'll see that i'm mostly objective and I try to give insight without bias...as for attacking him personally, well I did write in my post that it's not in my nature to do so, but I felt I had to this time...

As for the thread, I don't care if people write their opinions on Kostitsyn, what I don't like is when posters write something just because they have a dislike for that particular player or team, as it is obvious in this case with TML, he posted something to the fact that there are other 19yr olds in the AHL who are outperforming Kostitsyn, he then goes on to list 5 or 6 players who are all older and have played in North America? what the hell is that? I don't mind if somebody writes that they don't like something in Kostitsyn's game, it's their right, but when you have no valid points to back up your argument, well I find it stupid and imature, maybe I should of responded with more class, it's just that it's useless for us level headed Habs fans to start a thread on another board but the Habs one without someone who's just pure hating, coming to ruin the thread, that's all i'm trying to get across, I mean, habs fans, including myself, have taken a beating since the 2003 draft when it comes to Kostitsyn, 1st it was his health, then he wasn't playing in the RSL, then it was his health again, then the inferior competition he faced, then lack of production in the AHL, if Kostitsyn didin't belong to the Habs, everyone here would of went crazy over what he did last night, so forgive us habs fans when he finally does something on an international stage, in a pressure situation vs. stiff competition...

I mean people almost wet themselves when Phil Kessel scores 1 measly goal, but when it's kostitsyn who dominates a far superior US defending champion squad, it means that the US was asleep :dunno:

I like this board and would like to continue posting on it, but sometimes I like to get opinions of fans who aren't habs fans without them ruining the thread...

I understand that it was just 1 game, and i'm not crazy to tag a franchise player label on him, but last night, at least in part, validates what i've said since I saw him play, he will be a very dangerous scorer in the future...I thought i'd come on the board this morning and see a few posters sign their mea culpa and admit that they might of underestimated his talent, but I guess if your a Habs or Leafs fan, you get nothin!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Legolas said:
I think the point is that the clearly defined opinions of most posters don't come out until you challenge them to support their assertions. Most of the time, when you ask for opinions, you get emotional responses with nothing to back it up, which in turn leads to emotional replies and accusations...sort of makes you wonder why people ask for opinions in the first place, but whatever...

Last night's game was a huge upset, and the star of the winning team was a player that Habs fans have waited a few years to finally see, and now they're excited about what they see...nothing wrong with that...unfortunately there's a few extreme opinions about the player out there - both positive and negative - and that tends to drown out all the moderate opinions, including those expressed by non-Montreal fans on this thread...

exactly, couldn't of said it better myself :handclap:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Andrei Kastsitsyn looked great at the Habs rookie camp this past fall. He has a great, hard shot which he seems to be able to launcg from about anywhere. I think once he's fully adjusted himself to the more physical style of play, he'll start tearing it up for the Bulldogs.

Montreal seems to have a lot of solid young up and comers in their system.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
Did you watch the 3rd period? Team USA ment business, and he couldn't keep up. Yeah, he threw out a few hard checks, but he didn't dominate anyone physically. Eric Lindros dominated people physically.

I saw a sleeping USA team get surprised by a determined Belarus team. It won't happen again.

Wtf? I rewatched the game on tape and he sure did keep up in the third. He even set up a teammate with an amazing play, but Montoya got lucky playing ala Hasek.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
I mean people almost wet themselves when Phil Kessel scores 1 measly goal, but when it's kostitsyn who dominates a far superior US defending champion squad, it means that the US was asleep :dunno:

I understand that it was just 1 game, and i'm not crazy to tag a franchise player label on him, but last night, at least in part, validates what i've said since I saw him play, he will be a very dangerous scorer in the future...I thought i'd come on the board this morning and see a few posters sign their mea culpa and admit that they might of underestimated his talent, but I guess if your a Habs or Leafs fan, you get nothin!

That's totally cool 417. I'm happy for Kosty, its always good to see a young prospect shine and give a glimpse of his potential. IMO, there's nothing wrong with boom or bust, I'd rather have five boom or bust players in the hope that one or several of them become 1st liners or stars than pick up five surefire 3rd/4th liners.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
TML said:
I'd take Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Patrice Bergeron, Anthony Stewart, or Eric Fehr over Kostitsyn.

He's a boom or bust type player... sorry if you disagree...

is TML for Toronto Maple leafs?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
BLNY said:

I guess you never bothered to watch him in Philly and have one of the highest PPG in history before his concussions and dominate everyone, did you?

RoyIsALegend*

DownFromNJ said:
I saw a sleeping USA team get surprised by a determined Belarus team. It won't happen again.

I saw a ridiculously poor, and lazy American team get embarassed on home-ice by a determined, and motivated Belarus squad.

Oh, and fear not, the Americans _will_ let it happen again, may it be Belarus, Sweden, or any other country.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I agree with The Great One! From what I've sen of him, he still has to learn a lot, that will take time but he's worth the investment. His shot is wonderful, he's great on his skates and I'm sure he's being taught English by a quality staff.

Lets not forget, Timmins knows talent when he see's it.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
I watched the whole game against the US (unfortuneatly it's the only game involving Belarus that I've watched) and I've seen probably 5 or 6 Bulldogs games this year.

He played very well in the game at both ends of the ice (however i did see him cost near/outside his own blueline waiting for a breakaway pass which was dissapointing.) When he played on the penalty kill he was generally in position (I remember one kill where his 3 team-mates were chasing the puck and he was the only guy remotely in position which was, well scary) so his defensive play has obviously improved. Everyone comments on his great shot, which he does posess but the concern I have is he misses the net way too often (both in the AHL and in the game). I don't know whether it's because he has piss-poor accuracy or because he's trying to pick the corner (the latter is what I think he is doing) but he has to get that great shot on net more than he has.

As for his potential,there's no way I'd label him a future franchise player however, if everything goes perfectly and there is a very small possibility of him reaching that title. He's a future 1st/2nd liner or bust in my oppinion because if he can't crack the top 2 there's nowhere else in the lineup to play. Personally, I don't believe Andrei will be a bust but that's still a possibility.

About the players taken after him that are better, there are a couple who I would have considered taking at this point (with hindsight). Obviously, Zach Parise is one of those and Jeff Carter is another but I think I'd stick with Kostitsyn because of the raw skills I"ve seen and hope he turns into a gem.

CH Wizard

I'm REALLY tired to repeat myself.It's the 100th times that I'm defending him.It ain't for nothing , I won the award of the most defensive poster many times.

Give this guy a break !

Kostitsyn barely received 10 minutes of icetime in his first 30 games,Don't forget that even Ward and Pleks have difficulties to score with Hamilton.

Some guys here expected too much from him.I think He'll have a better second season.He'll need plenty of time to learn english and adapt to the N-A culture.I'm repeating myself.That's getting old.

Some europeans need more then a year to produce in the AHL.He's finally getting a lot of icetime but his linemeate Ward can't even score a goal.Ward is brutal.I thought He'd be awesome this year.That's why I want Andreychuk with the bulldogs badly.

Jarvis is trying to learn him the N-A of hockey very slowly.Versus the Roadrunners, He impressed me alot.He was great along the boards and He wasn't bad defensively.That's what We want.We all know He can score goals but He has to learn to score more often while playing against bigger d's.He was solid on his skates and He was playing on the first line but He didn't had a single scoring chance.The bulldogs are really struggling.

I'd wait a year or two before saying that He can't produce at the AHL level.He never played versus big men before.We can see that sometimes it's hard for him to pass d's who are 6'5 230 lbs.He never played against players who are 20 and more years old.

Well , I expected too much from him too.I expected more things from a tenth overall pick.He's far from being NHL ready.I don't know what Timmins was thinking.
Don't forget that He can't speak one word in english.He's understanding Jarvis at half.He can't speak to his teammates beside Ivanans.He isn't playing with Ivanans neither.When He'll learn to speak english , He'll get more comfortable for sure.

All and All.I don't expect a big half for him but that's just me.I expect a similar first half from him.I have higher expectations for him in the second year though.

I guess , We'll see in the months to come.

His upside is bigger then Getzlaf for sure.Kostitsyn has the upside to become a franchise/superstar player in the NHL.Getzlaf upside is to become a gritty second liner.

Carter is still playing in the OHL.The great thing is that next year , I'm sure Carter gonna play in the AHL or in the NHL.Kost will likely play in the AHL.So , we can see what both will do ! It's great to see Kostitsyn isn't playing for Medicina Hats this year.He has too much skills to play in the WHL.He's more skilled then Locke so no Kost in the WHL please.Medicine Hats drafted him in the european import draft.

This year it's his adaptation year.He's trying to learn english and adapt to the N-A style.Next year , I have very big expectations for him.Hamilton last year was a very offensive and dominant team.This year , they're one of the worst team in the AHL.They aren't scoring alot.That's not helping him either.

BTW , people weren't stopping to say Kostitsyn isn't impressing me so far in the WJC.I guess , He shutted up a lot of mouths .......

Are you happy jtuzzi !??!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad