Thoughts on Keith Pelley - President and CEO MLSE

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is where my head is at. It’s beginning to feel like the Leafs being not good enough is good enough. If they ARE content with what the Leafs are right now, then at least have the guts to tell the fans.
Why would they be 'content'?

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Why would they be 'content'?
“They” referring to management/ownership. I could only speculate as to WHY they would be content. But they’ve chosen a very specific model, that repeatedly comes up short, and there doesn’t seem to be inclination to adapt. For example, the cap is FINALLY going to increase, and they’ve already spent it on two of the core four again. It just tells me they aren’t deviating from their original plan.

Reactions: capfit9

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
“They” referring to management/ownership. I could only speculate as to WHY they would be content. But they’ve chosen a very specific model, that repeatedly comes up short, and there doesn’t seem to be inclination to adapt. For example, the cap is FINALLY going to increase, and they’ve already spent it on two of the core four again. It just tells me they aren’t deviating from their original plan.
Nothing is guaranteed in sport, that doesn't necessarily mean the wrong approach has been taken or that anyone is content with the outcome.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Nothing is guaranteed in sport, that doesn't necessarily mean the wrong approach has been taken or that anyone is content with the outcome.
That’s true. But after the same disappointing results for several years, at some point a threshold has to is crossed where you have to look at your approach as possibly what’s holding the team back.

And if there is no threshold where they are willing to look at their approach, then I think that means they are content.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That’s true. But after the same disappointing results for several years, at some point a threshold has to is crossed where you have to look at your approach as possibly what’s holding the team back.

And if there is no threshold where they are willing to look at their approach, then I think that means they are content.
Any organization would reassess every year regardless of how the season turns out.
There is no value to the organization in being content.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Any organization would reassess every year regardless of how the season turns out.
There is no value to the organization in being content.
I think most posters here are at the point where that reassessment should result in more significant change than we’ve been seeing.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think most posters here are at the point where that reassessment should result in more significant change than we’ve been seeing.
They have a new GM and most of the Roster has been turned over.
Coach should have been replaced years ago, IMO.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
He's doing the rounds on sports talk radio today. First thing he said "Is this Bryan?"

ODog is off he would have gone insane if he heard that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I don't think it's all that complicated. The team spent the decade prior to Shanahan continuously missing the playoffs and being at the bottom of the league.

That doesn't mean they're going to be content with treading water in the 1st round forever, but it's likely a more difficult decision to make to change course from their pov than what the average fan assumes

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They have a new GM and most of the Roster has been turned over.
Coach should have been replaced years ago, IMO.

To be fair, Dubas turned over a lot of the roster most off-seasons, mostly due to economic reasons.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

And then I asked Pelley about the perception from the outside that MLSE is this rich, bloated, collection of sporting trophies that overcharges for its product. The Raptors, for example, had the nerve to raise ticket prices for next season, which is something of an insult to any right-thinking sports fan.

I asked him clearly: Why are your ticket prices so high?

His answer: “I don’t know. You’ll have to give me more time to answer that question.”
He doesn’t believe in what he calls “the myth of supply and demand” when it comes to pricing. He believes in the live “sporting experience” and values what goes along with that. Experiences, he said, are now worth more than ever before.

He did say he would need more time to be able to answer questions about the teams themselves, about ticket prices, and the entirety of the business, specifically. It’s not his intention to run franchises, it’s his intention to oversee them.

At least he seems like an honest, regular guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00