Thoughts on Keith Pelley - President and CEO MLSE

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
He starts his new role as CEO and President of MLSE shortly. I recall the immediate reaction was fairly positive as he has a very impressive resume. But why can't I shake my memory that he was a complete buffoon in his earlier years within the Toronto sports landscape? I can't recall details, but my memory of him was that of a meddler who had no clue what he was doing. I wish I could remember more details, but I do recall being happy when he left. So, as a fan of MLSE teams should I be excited or deeply concerned with this hiring? I am sure Shanahan is feeling the same way.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He's just another empty suit so I don't think about him at all. MLSE is a license to print money so anyone could do it anyways. The only thing I hope is that if the Leafs continue to fail he has the stones to fire Shanahan and start the purge.
Looks hands on to me .was at toronto fc then Flys to Montreal
Least he's a sports fan

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Price of beer goes up.
Bay street gets more perks
Sponsor signs cover more of the boards, sweaters get more sponsor logos, Joe Bowen and Ralph are out of work,
But 56 yrs becomes 60 yrs and I stop caring but the number of children in the declared Maple Leaf square grows.
This is what Pelley means.

Reactions: theTTC

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
No idea who he is. Most executives care about bottom like profit and will care very little about on ice performance.

Reactions: Leterman

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Hopefully he fires Shanahan.
Certainly we can't assume he has any loyalty to the Shanaplan but I don't know where they are vis a vis the below. He probably didn't have much direct involvement with Shanny this spring as the new guy in but that can change. And whether he is a direct report or not you would assume Pelley has control over the Prez's future.

It’s "unclear" whether Masai Ujiri and Brendan Shanahan, presidents of the Raptors and Maple Leafs, respectively, "will report to Pelley." During Friisdahl’s tenure, Ujiri and Shanahan "reported directly to MLSE’s board of directors."

Edit - But yes its a bean counter's resume and if the hunt for a Cup doesn't present a tangible financial benefit then he could be a negative rather than a positive. As in "we're doing fine we're making tons of money. Go Shanny!"

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyCrap

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Why any owner would want someone with limited education and no experience in charge of their multi-billion dollar franchise is beyond me.

This is what happens when the president of your favourite team is a moron. Shanahan alone is responsible for this humiliating mess. This management group never fails to find new ways to embarrass themselves under his stewardship.

Every year they reach a new low.

Losing the past four years to teams that finished beneath them in the standings. Losing to teams that shouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Failing to get past the first round six tries straight.

Only to get blown away the very next series after finally breaking through and winning one.

And yet, for some reason, there are STILL people who support them. Some fans get exactly what they deserve. A laughing stock for a hometown team.

Run by a bunch of morons.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why any owner would want someone with limited education and no experience in charge of their multi-billion dollar franchise is beyond me.

This is what happens when the president of your favourite team is a moron. Shanahan alone is responsible for this humiliating mess. This management group never fails to find new ways to embarrass themselves under his stewardship.

Losing the past four years to teams that finished beneath them in the standings. Losing to teams that shouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Failing to get past the first round six tries straight.

Only to get blown away the very next series after finally breaking through and winning one.

And yet, for some reason, there are STILL people who support them. Some fans get exactly what they deserve. A laughing stock for a hometown team.

What do you need a college degree to run a hockey team for? Not that I am defending Shanny, he has had more then enough time....I just don't think there is anything inherently wrong with a hockey guy running the show.

Reactions: weems

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

The losses to Montreal and Columbus are unforgivable. Unfortunately we also play in one of the toughest divisions in the NHL. Florida is on their way to their second President's Trophy in three years after a finals appearance. Tampa made the final three times in a row winning the Cup twice. Boston is a perennial contender. I hate how the NHL Galaxy brains their playoff format. It has reached a point where I skip watching games against the Bruins and Lightning. I am sick of those teams.

What do you need a college degree to run a hockey team for? Not that I am defending Shanny, he has had more then enough time....I just don't think there is anything inherently wrong with a hockey guy running the show.

I think a GM or President of Hockey Ops could get away with not having a degree depending on how he delegates responsibilities. I am sure the guys working with the numbers are highly educated in their field.

Reactions: Brobust

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

It's a hockey team and not rocket science.

Shouldn't be that hard to figure it out. I can agree with that. I can also agree that the fact Shanahan STILL hasn't figured it out after a decade on the job is all the reason why Pelley should be looking pretty hard at whether he wants to keep Shanahan around or replace him.

There's all kinds of other lifelong hockey men that could probably do the job better.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

The losses to Montreal and Columbus are unforgivable. Unfortunately we also play in one of the toughest divisions in the NHL. Florida is on their way to their second President's Trophy in three years after a finals appearance. Tampa made the final three times in a row winning the Cup twice. Boston is a perennial contender. I hate how the NHL Galaxy brains their playoff format. It has reached a point where I skip watching games against the Bruins and Lightning. I am sick of those teams.

I think a GM or President of Hockey Ops could get away with not having a degree depending on how he delegates responsibilities. I am sure the guys working with the numbers are highly educated in their field.

I'm not sure I can agree with that thinking.

The other teams in the same division are really good too so it's unfair for the Leafs. Even under the old seeding they would eventually have to face those teams anyway. And I agree you don't need an MBA to be a POHO but half a brain, some common sense, a bit of experience would go a long way.

Shanahan lacks all three.

Reactions: Al14

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

I'm not sure I can agree with that thinking.

The other teams in the same division are really good too so it's unfair for the Leafs. Even under the old seeding they would eventually have to face those teams anyway. And I agree you don't need an MBA to be a POHO but half a brain, some common sense, a bit of experience would go a long way.

Shanahan lacks all three.

It isn't unfair. You need to beat the best to be the best. It is just unlucky.

I have a good feeling about this team this year. I think there is some potential here but I try not to weigh on the failures of the past.

I agree with you that Shanny is a failure, but the boardroom probably won't see it that way. He has assembled a talented roster with big-name players so you can bet the marketing and merchandising departments are thrilled lol.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The fact that this leadership group constantly says they believe in this group and yet always waits to the last minute to sign the players-usually at a massive overpayment is all we need to know.

When we signed JT did the ownership/management group should have said to this group if we bring him in this means each of you need to take less. How many dumb signing did we make to bring in over the hill players to provide veteran leadership/tough guys only to have it bite us in the ass. Marlow, Reeves, Simmonds, etc.

By all accounts after the brutal Nylander 6.9 x 6 negotiations Marner was willing to sign an 8x8 and this management group instead said naw let’s see how the season plays out. Marner scores 94 points and we overpay and get less term.

Again this summer Nylander under paid the past few years wants to be hanging with Marner and Matthews as he just out back to back PPG seasons. Can’t agree on an 9-10 x 8 year deal. Guy goes on the stupidest start to a season and then we sign him for 11.5.

Not to mention AM being paid like the best player in the NHL but consistently being outside of the top 10 in scoring. Yes I get that scoring in the NHL isn’t only measure but when has this guy put this team on his back during the playoffs? Answer never. Those two contracts alone cost us 3-4 million.

The amount of picks this management group has burned for non term players is obscene. We get a 20 game showcase and an early first round exit. Typically they play well and become too expensive to resign. Fire Shanny, Fire Tre and Fire Keefe. Offer Marner the same deal as Nylander, take it or leave it. Rebuild our D properly. Sign kids to extensions before they explode. Either you believe in them or you don’t, if you don’t trade the kid and identify a need/player or prospect you do believe in. For the love of god don’t draft the same player ever single round. How many smallish forwards with high IQ and good motors are we gonna have in the lineup….we need size on the back end. Draft it, develop it. About the only thing I like is they didn’t trade away Cowan and Minten. I was a hater on the Cowan pick last year but have been pleasantly surprised. We are gonna need cheap contracts in the lineup and Knies, Cowan and Minten could be those bridges.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know some people will say it's rare a guy comes in and makes big changes so quickly but the track record is public knowledge.

A guy like Shanahan shouldn't get an extra year because Pelley is new. The team has been underperforming for some time now.

I expect Keefe is gone

Shanahan should be gone

Other guys that aren't worth what they're making should be fired too, a guy like Tavares...lean on him to get him out.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's a hockey team and not rocket science.

Shouldn't be that hard to figure it out. I can agree with that. I can also agree that the fact Shanahan STILL hasn't figured it out after a decade on the job is all the reason why Pelley should be looking pretty hard at whether he wants to keep Shanahan around or replace him.

There's all kinds of other lifelong hockey men that could probably do the job better.
Yeah I mean I will have absolutely no issues if they decide to move on from Shanny at the end of the season. Just don’t think you need a college degree to be good at the job.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s going to be a long week waiting for Thursday’s game, plenty of time to stick daggers in those who have earned it, useless Shanahan is at the top of the list so have at her boys……….

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I know some people will say it's rare a guy comes in and makes big changes so quickly but the track record is public knowledge.

A guy like Shanahan shouldn't get an extra year because Pelley is new. The team has been underperforming for some time now.

I expect Keefe is gone

Shanahan should be gone

Other guys that aren't worth what they're making should be fired too, a guy like Tavares...lean on him to get him out.

It's amazing that so few people believe in this team, and group now, that we've all just assumed that they aren't going anywhere this playoffs. We've just collective lost hope in this team... me too really.

Noting, we don't actually know what the board's performance measurement is. We as fans are simply focused on winning in the playoffs. The board is probably more focused on profitability and I doubt there is an issue there at all. This team has had record wins, record points in the regular season for the Leafs, and in all probability, record revenue too. When you are raking in record levels of cash, and meeting all profitability goals, is that a formula that you want to mess with? I wonder, do they look at the lost revenue of a handful of games in the playoffs, as a major problem in this organization?

Do the board members, and new CEO judge the success on profitability, or is there more of a desire to take risks on that profitability, to try and win in the playoffs, by getting rid of the management that has delivered the best regular season record, and record profits?

As a fan, I'm totally in the get rid of this group, they haven't delivered playoff success. The business side of me sees a winning regular season team, with record revenues and profits... so what do they do?

Oh, and this idea that they could move Tavares... that's just not based on reality at all.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's amazing that so few people believe in this team, and group now, that we've all just assumed that they aren't going anywhere this playoffs. We've just collective lost hope in this team... me too really.

Noting, we don't actually know what the board's performance measurement is. We as fans are simply focused on winning in the playoffs. The board is probably more focused on profitability and I doubt there is an issue there at all. This team has had record wins, record points in the regular season for the Leafs, and in all probability, record revenue too. When you are raking in record levels of cash, and meeting all profitability goals, is that a formula that you want to mess with? I wonder, do they look at the lost revenue of a handful of games in the playoffs, as a major problem in this organization?

Do the board members, and new CEO judge the success on profitability, or is there more of a desire to take risks on that profitability, to try and win in the playoffs, by getting rid of the management that has delivered the best regular season record, and record profits?

As a fan, I'm totally in the get rid of this group, they haven't delivered playoff success. The business side of me sees a winning regular season team, with record revenues and profits... so what do they do?

Oh, and this idea that they could move Tavares... that's just not based on reality at all.
A board would look at what it costs to replace someone and whether doing so would, in totality, be in the best interests of the company's shareholders.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Would they make just as much money if they were a middle tier team? Likely. The market here is hockey mad and unless they are complete dog $&%# they will likely sell out the barn and have decent drink sales.

Who cares if the business is making money, their job is to win championships and they are brutal at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad