Thornton wants to Stay in San Jose

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
If Joe won't go I just hope to God we come up big in free agency cuz we don't have the assets to upgrade this team through trade.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Oh good news... Thornton's rallying the troops around him. Why now?
Is somebody starting to get a little bit nervous. I hope to God he is. I'm still feeling it will still be a rinse and repeat season. I hope something changes but I wouldn't bet one dime on it!

Joe's about to become the new GM after his revolution succeeds.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
If Joe won't go I just hope to God we come up big in free agency cuz we don't have the assets to upgrade this team through trade.

DW seems dead set on not going for it this year so if Joe or Patty don't cave I wouldn't expect any worthwhile additions. Just opportunities for Irwin, Mueller, and so on.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Watch one of these years the Sharks will cash in all the bad luck for crazy good luck and win every game 10-0, with a 16-0-0 record

I've rarely read a post that more clearly summarizes the delusional mind of a Sharks fan. I've been saying that exact same thing since about '92...;)

allworldcaucasn*

You know pretty much for a fact that the Sharks are playing a combination of the Kings, Ducks, and Hawks in the playoffs next season. You want to go through all 82 games and take another crack at that with the same exact team? That makes the entire regular season pointless.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
You know pretty much for a fact that the Sharks are playing a combination of the Kings, Ducks, and Hawks in the playoffs next season. You want to go through all 82 games and take another crack at that with the same exact team? That makes the entire regular season pointless.

So you mail it in and concede because the West is a strong conference? Not sure I follow that logic. If you want to tank to get a high pick that makes more sense than waiting until the West gets weaker.

allworldcaucasn*

So you mail it in and concede because the West is a strong conference? Not sure I follow that logic. If you want to tank to get a high pick that makes more sense than waiting until the West gets weaker.

You don't mail it in, you change the guard. As has been discussed

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I really think patience is the way to go and DW specifically mentioned the fact that he's going to wait for a good deal instead of jumping at the first one that comes up.

I think his plan is pretty simple and, frankly, reasonable.

I think he's going to let the youth compete for big roles on the teams. So many people said Nieto wouldn't be ready last season and he came in and, because of injuries, ran away with it. I think DW wants to give more of those opportunities to the youngsters without having to count on injuries -- so he's going to wait and see.

We've got a top 4 D spot available and at least one or two gaps in the Top 6 (not to mention most of the bottom 6). If the young guys come in and do well, fantastic. If not, he knows the positions he needs to acquire in trade or draft the following summer. The very best can happen and someone amazing can come available or one of the young guys becomes a star and then we're back competing for the Cup, but I think he explicitly sees next season as a way to groom prospects.

In this way, we both develop our young players by giving them a chance to play with our vets on a still very competitive team and don't lose a large swath of casual fans like we would if we were a bottom feeder.

Everything he said correlates with that. He's not going to actively tank or go for the cup, instead, he's going to rebuild the team on the shoulders and backs of the old team and hope for a seamless transition.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You don't mail it in, you change the guard. As has been discussed

And you can't do that with a no trade clause. Especially since both of the old guard has said they are not waiving the clauses and will be in a sharks uniform next season.

So you are throwing away a season of rebuilding and a season of contending.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
And you can't do that with a no trade clause. Especially since both of the old guard has said they are not waiving the clauses and will be in a sharks uniform next season.

Bingo.

Really is a rock in a hard place for DW right now. I understand him not wanting to move picks/prospects given he doesn't feel this core has what it takes. Couple that with the fact they have never been serious players in UFA and you're stuck with the same group unless they can convince the big two to waive.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

You think it hurts rookies to play with people like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau? Players like Mueller, Tierney, etc, get to learn from great players while playing major roles on a still very competitive team.

The only thing we lose is Joe and Patty's trade value for this year -- but next year has a better draft and I sincerely doubt either one is going to greatly drop in value.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I really think patience is the way to go and DW specifically mentioned the fact that he's going to wait for a good deal instead of jumping at the first one that comes up.

I think his plan is pretty simple and, frankly, reasonable.

I think he's going to let the youth compete for big roles on the teams. So many people said Nieto wouldn't be ready last season and he came in and, because of injuries, ran away with it. I think DW wants to give more of those opportunities to the youngsters without having to count on injuries -- so he's going to wait and see.

We've got a top 4 D spot available and at least one or two gaps in the Top 6 (not to mention most of the bottom 6). If the young guys come in and do well, fantastic. If not, he knows the positions he needs to acquire in trade or draft the following summer. The very best can happen and someone amazing can come available or one of the young guys becomes a star and then we're back competing for the Cup, but I think he explicitly sees next season as a way to groom prospects.

In this way, we both develop our young players by giving them a chance to play with our vets on a still very competitive team and don't lose a large swath of casual fans like we would if we were a bottom feeder.

Everything he said correlates with that. He's not going to actively tank or go for the cup, instead, he's going to rebuild the team on the shoulders and backs of the old team and hope for a seamless transition.

Well said. That's what I also see taking shape. I initially thought a full traditional rebuild but I am waiting to see how it plays out.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You think it hurts rookies to play with people like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau? Players like Mueller, Tierney, etc, get to learn from great players while playing major roles on a still very competitive team.

The only thing we lose is Joe and Patty's trade value for this year -- but next year has a better draft and I sincerely doubt either one is going to greatly drop in value.

You really think that teams will want to give up their #1 picks for the 2015 draft? Like you said, next year has a better draft. I am pretty sure all the GM's know that as well.

Also, Jumbo's and Patty's value may not drop significantly but remember that they will be 1 year older and probably not have as good of year as they did this year. I would be really surprised if Jumbo does anyway.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
You really think that teams will want to give up their #1 picks for the 2015 draft? Like you said, next year has a better draft. I am pretty sure all the GM's know that as well.

Also, Jumbo's and Patty's value may not drop significantly but remember that they will be 1 year older and probably not have as good of year as they did this year. I would be really surprised if Jumbo does anyway.

I think for Jumbo they'll give up a top 20 pick, absolutely. Even if his numbers go a little bit down, he's still Joe "Future Hall of Famer" Thornton. No matter what the main HF Boards say, he and Marleau should garner at least some good returns in the draft. And the way people are talking about it -- a Top 15 pick next year will be worth more than most of the picks this year.

I don't think it's a huge risk, and I think it very brilliantly lets DW maintain a competitive team that still brings in money. It's a good way to run a business and, frankly, a good way to help groom young players.

It also gives us a very outside chance of competing seriously, which, again, is a good business move and also really pushes the rookies to play their best.

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
Ok, so I guess it's anothet year of Joe the loser posting great regular season numbers, the team doing well in the regular season and exiting the playoffs early again. Also, this lack of heart mentality gets ingrained in the younger players and the situation never changes. How i envy Kings fans, a team with heart and desire which will be there fighting into the conference finals and beyond while Joe is golging and saying we'll be back next year.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Easy to say that, but don't hold your breath. If being up 3-0 on your rival with the knife to there throat isn't enough motivation to win, then why would being embarrassed give them the motivation to win? The Sharks will not be a Stanley Cup Champion in the next 3-years.

I dunno, it wasn't enough motivation for Boston that year...

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I wish people would realize that predicting any team will not win the cup is a ridiculously easy odds-on statement to make.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Guarantees nothing.

Doing nothing guarantees even less.

There is no one move or set of moves that guarantees a Cup for any team. But I am 99.9% certain that this team, as it is currently constructed with Joe Thornton at the forefront, will not win.

No, moving JT won't guarantee a Cup. Hell, moving him out and getting Crosby + Weber & Suter all in return (for no extra cap hit or additional pieces) still wouldn't "guarantee" a Cup.

But I do know that driving into the same exact wall every single post-season. I'm not suggesting we chop the entire car up and sell it for scrap metal, but maybe just get a new driver. Someone who might see the caution signs and steer slightly to the left for a change. No, maybe that won't get us where we want to go, but at least we'd be TRYING to avoid the wall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad