Waived: Thomas Hickey on Waivers

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Per Bob McKenzie: Today's waivers: E Oberg (TB). G Desbiens, P Mullen (VAN). S Legein, D Meckler, M-A Cliche, T Hickey (LAK). J Pearce, F Pare (DET).

Former 4th overall pick. Is he worth throwing a claim on?

Thomas Hickey was rated like 25-35 range on draft day, the Kings took a gamble and lost. Hickey was a poor draft choice then and a poor waiver claim now.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Wouldnt really complain if they snatched him, although I personally wouldn't throw away my waiver position. (anyone know where this is anyway?)

sBarry

Jul 3, 2011
I'd love to see the B's put the claim in. Forget where he was picked and the flashy puck mover expectations. He's rounded out his game a lot in Manch over the years. He's a safe steady two way player that's NHL ready and still has upside that I think would come out in the B's system. He can be defensively responsible and still has good puck moving sense.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'd love to see the B's put the claim in. Forget where he was picked and the flashy puck mover expectations. He's rounded out his game a lot in Manch over the years. He's a safe steady two way player that's NHL ready and still has upside that I think would come out in the B's system. He can be defensively responsible and still has good puck moving sense.

I don't know if I'd "love" it, but I certainly wouldn't be against it.

I still think that Hickey has a decent shot at becoming a good NHL 5-6 defenseman. He shoots left, he moves well (the puck AND his feet)... and we don't really have a hell of a lot who are banging the door down for a spot in Boston.

I'd be interested in seeing what Hickey could do here.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
He set himself back exponentially by choosing not to divulge an injury and playing through it --which did long-term damage to his skating (which should have been his bread-and-butter). He is likely NHL ready now but never progressed as expected but I think he could still turn into a Timonen type.

I believe he is the last Team Canada captain to win gold, no?

sBarry

Jul 3, 2011
I don't know if I'd "love" it, but I certainly wouldn't be against it.

I still think that Hickey has a decent shot at becoming a good NHL 5-6 defenseman. He shoots left, he moves well (the puck AND his feet)... and we don't really have a hell of a lot who are banging the door down for a spot in Boston.

I'd be interested in seeing what Hickey could do here.

Perhaps love was a strong word, but I'm a bit biased as a Monarchs fan.I think given the ice time, paired with a more physically oriented partner, like Quaider, on the third pairing. He could move the puck efficiently, making good choices, and not be the defensive liability that Corvo/Kaberle/etc. were.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Perhaps love was a strong word, but I'm a bit biased as a Monarchs fan.I think given the ice time, paired with a more physically oriented partner, like Quaider, on the third pairing. He could move the puck efficiently, making good choices, and not be the defensive liability that Corvo/Kaberle/etc. were.

Agreed. Would be a good rotating rookie to have as the #7 this year and a cheap replacement for Ference next year on the 3rd pairing.

sBarry

Jul 3, 2011
Agreed. Would be a good rotating rookie to have as the #7 this year and a cheap replacement for Ference next year on the 3rd pairing.

Couldn't agree more. I started to think about having two smallish defenders in him and Ference. Then couldn't help wondering if the B's claiming Hickey could help those people sweating about the cap. Groom him in the shortened season to take over for Ference and save on the cap hit. Though admittedly I'm not sure what Hickeys cap hit is.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country

Don't B's already have that Ference replacement in (assuming none are dealt this year) Krug, Bartowski, Warsofsky, a d maybe even Trotman if they prefer his size/R-shot?

IMO adding Hickey only makes sense if you're going to jettison an incumbent(s) in a deal.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Don't B's already have that Ference replacement in (assuming none are dealt this year) Krug, Bartowski, Warsofsky, a d maybe even Trotman if they prefer his size/R-shot?

IMO adding Hickey only makes sense if you're going to jettison an incumbent(s) in a deal.

I think it gives you a better chance at a "hit" on the defense side.

None of the guys you mention (save Trotman, maybe?) have shown a noticeable amount of upside. Hickey seems to me, to be a more solid cinch to contribute at an NHL level.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
#Isles claim D Thomas Hickey off waivers from Kings.

Islanders made a claim. So he'll be in the NHL this year or he has to be returned to the Kings.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
I hope he does well there. Best of luck too him. Does anyone know if he'll be slated in the lineup for them? Maybe a 7th man?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad