Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Actually, Thomas, there are very clearly 3 guys better than everyone else right now. Giroux, Grieg, and Kelly are on a completely different level than the rest. Team needs to follow their lead and put in the same effort or they can get the f*** out.

Add Joseph.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The Senators have been getting a lot of attention for a lot of the wrong reasons this season, not the least of which was the decision to fire coach D.J. Smith on Dec. 18 after almost five seasons with the club. Chabot isn’t surprised about the criticism the club has received.

“It’s normal. We’re playing in a Canadian market, fans are passionate and they love the game,” Chabot said. “That’s totally fine to be under the microscope. It’s really about us, we’re the ones playing and we’ve got to learn to play on a more consistent basis.
“When you look at the teams that have success every single night. Some nights things aren’t going to go your way and that’s the reality, but by playing the same way you limit (the losses) and some of the mistakes that happen out there. That’s how we improve as a group.”
“Jacques is so detailed and you can’t buy experience like he has,” Chabot said. “He’s been around for so long and there’s a lot of details in our game that we’re trying to improve. It takes a lot of learning but the guys are on board with trying to learn everything.

“Jacques has good points, good looks and a different overview on different games. It’s been good.”

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
it's so weird having all of Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun.

Like Sanderson is the defensive guy from those three, and he's better offensively than the other two!
Tonight he was. And the first 10 games or so. I hope JM is encouraging him to follow his offensive instincts, it’s not like his defending suffers, he can do it all.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I like these comments from Chabot. I'd like them to be fully embraced and echoed by other members of the Sens Leadership group
It's too bad it's 100 percent lip service. No other player gives less of a shit than this guy. He can say whatever he wants he has done absolutely nothing the coaching staff has stressed. He's the problem and these quotes solidify it more than anything. He does not compete every shift. He has not even attempted to hold the defenisve blue line. Gap control should be his strength. He is an incredible skater. Yet has the worst gaps on the team. The fact that he says he's aware of the mistakes but is the one that constantly does it solidifies that he either doesn't care or is uncoachable.

This is unfortunately going to be one of those situations when they trade him he likely figures it out. But quotes like this then not applying it is absolutely toxic.

There's no world that chychrun should be who's traded here.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
It's too bad it's 100 percent lip service. No other player gives less of a shit than this guy. He can say whatever he wants he has done absolutely nothing the coaching staff has stressed. He's the problem and these quotes solidify it more than anything. He does not compete every shift. He has not even attempted to hold the defenisve blue line. Gap control should be his strength. He is an incredible skater. Yet has the worst gaps on the team. The fact that he says he's aware of the mistakes but is the one that constantly does it solidifies that he either doesn't care or is uncoachable.

This is unfortunately going to be one of those situations when they trade him he likely figures it out. But quotes like this then not applying it is absolutely toxic.

The epitome of big talker little doer
Got all the tools of a Norris contender
Process the game like he had multiple lobotomies

Reactions: bert

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I see Chabot improving. He was laying some hits, being much more physical on the puck carrier along the boards, and effectively separating them from the puck. His gap control has been suspect, but not any more than the rest of the defenders'.

It seems to me like there's a group scapegoat effect here.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I see Chabot improving. He was laying some hits, being much more physical on the puck carrier along the boards, and effectively separating them from the puck. His gap control has been suspect, but not any more than the rest of the defenders'.

Playing at 3MM$ level no problem
Going to earn 10 next year...

• Haha
Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He's a leader on this team. Proceeds to say the details JM is implementing are good. Refuses to actually do what he's being told. That's not a scape goat that a leader leading exactly the opposite of how he should. Do your job set the tone for the team actions count. No actions with words suggesting otherwise is not going to be productive for this team in any way. This team needs it's leaders to buy in.

Reactions: Icelevel

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
chabots eyes only light up when there is an offensive chance.

a normality in this teams leadership and core.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He's a leader on this team. Proceeds to say the details JM is implementing are good. Refuses to actually do what he's being told. That's not a scape goat that a leader leading exactly the opposite of how he should. Do your job set the tone for the team actions count. No actions with words suggesting otherwise is not going to be productive for this team in any way. This team needs it's leaders to buy in.
You pointed out he doesn't gap-up at the blueline. I don't think that's just a Chabot issue, all six pairs sag into our zone. In the past they had no choice because of lack of defensive support. But now, the whole forward corps is supporting with neutral-zone backcheck, but the d still tends to back off our blue line. So I don't see it as just a Chabby problem. (Maybe I'm just not seeing it, will watch for it next game.)

Other examples of him refusing to adapt? Seriously, I'm not just being oppositional here, looking for your break-down.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
You pointed out he doesn't gap-up at the blueline. I don't think that's just a Chabot issue, all six pairs sag into our zone. In the past they had no choice because of lack of defensive support. But now, the whole forward corps is supporting with neutral-zone backcheck, but the d still tends to back off our blue line. So I don't see it as just a Chabby problem. (Maybe I'm just not seeing it, will watch for it next game.)

Other examples of him refusing to adapt? Seriously, I'm not just being oppositional here, looking for your break-down.
The gap at our blue line defending rushes has been brutal. Even I can see it (rec hockey defenceman and Sens fan) - hopefully JM can fix this.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I am not going to disagree with his lackadaisical play. Simmer said he became a one speed player and that shows up.
I want the team leaders to provide the message that Chabot is providing whether he understands where he needs to be better or not. He was used for quite a while where he was the best option they had and playing firewagon hockey he was (Pre Sandy and Chycho definitely the best option we had wrt to moving the puck.. Mistakes he made were overlooked. Deficiencies were overlooked. He has to adjust his play.

I personally don't think Chychrun is the answer here either. I don't see quality defensive play out of either of them. I am fine if they can make a deal with a good return for Chabot. I think short term Chychrun gives us the best return and he is going to want a raise likely close to the 8m range. I don't think wither bring enough to justify that kind of contract.

I don't look at it like either or .. I think we need to look at improving on both of them.

There is nothing but positives in Chabot's message.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

No shit its not just a Chabot issue
They are on pace for 63 points ffs
But if your veteran supposed top2 D wearing an "A" and earning 10 MM$ a year doesn't gap up and play with zero urgency
Who is going to?

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
I thought Chabot's best skill when be was young was gap-control. He had the ability to skate backwards, right in front of rushing forwards, and stay right in front of them. I remember watching him at the WJHC... The guy was a black hole, just swallowing forwards who were rushing him, using his skating and angles.

Reactions: Flamingo and DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
His mobility and speed have rendered him a pylon since his fracture. Hard to evaluate him because he has lost a significant step since returning. We were really missing him his first go around of injury.

Regardless, he has to be moved

Reactions: DrEasy and Sting

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I thought Chabot's best skill when be was young was gap-control. He had the ability to skate backwards, right in front of rushing forwards, and stay right in front of them. I remember watching him at the WJHC... The guy was a black hole, just swallowing forwards who were rushing him, using his skating and angles.

I was so hyped after that world juniors. The way he shut other players down with his seamless effortless skating, I legit thought we were getting a Pietrangelo type.

Reactions: Oscar The Grouch

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
His mobility and speed have rendered him a pylon since his fracture. Hard to evaluate him because he has lost a significant step since returning. We were really missing him his first go around of injury.

Regardless, he has to be moved
We've seen this time and time again. When a player starts looking slow and doesn't have the ability to pivot well, its a steep decline. You need to ship these guys off asap before the rest of the league realizes.

Unfortunately for us, we're paying him 8 mill a year. Nobody touches that.

I expect Chychrun to be traded before the end of the summer (if not at the TDL) and bringing a top 4 RD in.

It's sad but I agree with what a lot of press are saying right now. These guys who got 8 year deals early before they proved anything got used to coasting. It's hard to teach them how to battle every single game.

R2010

May 23, 2011
While the player has flaws - he'd be embraced by any team in the league at 5-6 million. Even with his miscues. Analytically he has fantastic stats in a wide range of areas.

Defensively - he's regressed with age which is unusual. I firmly blame the team for playing him 30 minutes a game with no consequences or structure because they didn't want to pay to have decent players alongside him. He was fantastic with Demelo.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad