THN's Ken Campbell notices that Cassie Campbell's husband is Flames AGM

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
There is so much "inbreeding" in this sport, it's insane.

Everyone's like three degrees of separation, at most, from anyone else in the hockey world.

Reactions: jvr32 and Pilky01

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
She is terrible and if this gets her out of the Calgary job then great but I don't see how it really matters that much. She is way less of a homer than Kevin Quinn or Drew Remenda or Gene Principe and they seemingly have zero fan connections to the Oilers to make them the embarrassments they are.

That said i am not really sure why Ken Campbell is getting blow back for pointing it out either. Now I am fine with it because like Cassie, Ken is terrible as well but I don't think there was really anything wrong with him bringing it up.

He's probably getting blowback because this isn't a new phenomenon, its incredibly common in sports and media.

Darren Dreger covered his cousin the ex-GM of the Leafs. Colin Campbell was in charge of discipline when his son was playing. Ferraro calls games his son plays in. The list goes on and on.

This doesn't even get into people that cover the sport nationally with bad and noticeable biases against teams or people who run them.

So its not like this is a new phenomenon. And Cassie Campbell isn't even more egregiously biased than a lot of other people that get to cover games. There are a ton of homers that cover the game nationally.

So yes, there's definitely going to be blowback. And that's without getting into the lazy nature of how Ken Campbell expressed himself being misconstrued as attacking one of the few female media members covering the game as being where she is because of who she's sleeping with.

I don't like Cassie Campbell's hockey coverage either, but the blowback is incredibly predictable. Especially since Ken Campbell probably isn't still employed if he didn't have connections too. He ain't that good a writer or a thinker.

Lurked4Yearz

Nov 23, 2011
Quebec
It's criminal that Cassie Campbell makes a living by talking about hockey. You should be required to know stuff about the sport if you're paid to do that. I fail to see how playing a couple of barely meaningful games every 4 years qualifies you for that job considering the game she played looked nothing like the game she comments on.
She played professional hockey for several years and represented her country at the Olympics several times. If that is not enough to commentate on the NHL, several studios are gonna have to clean house.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
You know what's a real conflict of interest? Rogers owns the Leafs, Rogers owns the Leafs arena, Rogers owns the NHL broadcasting rights, Rogers owns Sportsnet AND Rogers is the cable provider...

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
But seriously, this isn't an issue. Cassie hasn't hid her marriage. She even hyphenated her name to Campbell-Pascal. Information is clearly available to anyone with access to Google. TBH Cassie is less of a Flames homer than Hrudey. I find her to be pretty negative about every team lol.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I don't understand. Who cares if she's a homer? What impact does she have on competition? Calm down Greg, it's commentary. The only story here is Ken Campbell is an idiot

Last edited:

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
i liked her when she was just a drop-in interviewer (for lack of a better term) for HNIC. but i think she sucks as a color commentator like she is now.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I don't understand. Who cares if she's a homer? What impact does she have on competition? Calm down Greg, it's commentary. The only story here is Ken Campbell is an idiot

exactly, the story is that the old boys club doesnt like nepotism when it applies to women in their field but have no problem with it anywhere else.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
She played professional hockey for several years and represented her country at the Olympics several times. If that is not enough to commentate on the NHL, several studios are gonna have to clean house.

"professional hockey" and the style of game she played was much different than the NHL.

Even that doesn't really matter because she sucks. I don't care if it was Gordie Howe or Wayne Gretzjy if they offered as little insight as she does and does so in the worst speaking style of all time they should be canned as well.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Also weren't Dreger and Nonis 3rd cousins or something like that?

I thought when it came out the relationship was so weak that I hadn't ever talked to the comparable relative of mine in my life.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He's probably getting blowback because this isn't a new phenomenon, its incredibly common in sports and media.

Darren Dreger covered his cousin the ex-GM of the Leafs. Colin Campbell was in charge of discipline when his son was playing. Ferraro calls games his son plays in. The list goes on and on.

This doesn't even get into people that cover the sport nationally with bad and noticeable biases against teams or people who run them.

So its not like this is a new phenomenon. And Cassie Campbell isn't even more egregiously biased than a lot of other people that get to cover games. There are a ton of homers that cover the game nationally.

So yes, there's definitely going to be blowback. And that's without getting into the lazy nature of how Ken Campbell expressed himself being misconstrued as attacking one of the few female media members covering the game as being where she is because of who she's sleeping with.

I don't like Cassie Campbell's hockey coverage either, but the blowback is incredibly predictable. Especially since Ken Campbell probably isn't still employed if he didn't have connections too. He ain't that good a writer or a thinker.

But what did he do that was so wrong? Did he petition to get her fired?

He pointed out that she had a connection to the team that she covered, so what?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
But what did he do that was so wrong? Did he petition to get her fired?

He pointed out that she had a connection to the team that she covered, so what?

He made an ill advised comment on the internet and got called out for it. Its not like he was fired or anything.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He made an ill advised comment on the internet and got called out for it. Its not like he was fired or anything.

I guess I don't see why he needed to be called out for it or why it was so "ill-advised".

Seems like a bunch of people want to get upset because Cassie is a woman and heaven forbid a man criticize a woman.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I guess I don't see why he needed to be called out for it or why it was so "ill-advised".

Seems like a bunch of people want to get upset because Cassie is a woman and heaven forbid a man criticize a woman.

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay. He said something dumb and was made to eat shit for it.

And he wasn't even criticizing her. He was criticizing HNIC. For doing the same kind of stuff they and every other media outlet always does.

His real dumb mistake was singling out where they placed a woman and an incredibly male dominated field for benefiting from the same kind of stuff that everybody in media benefits from and/or for having biases (99% of sports media have team/individual biases).

It was a dumb tweet. He deleted it. He got **** on for it.

If you can't figure why people got upset about how Ken Campbell came off like he's just discovering the most long standing and irritating problem about sports media when its a woman, then I don't know what to say.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay. He said something dumb and was made to eat **** for it.

And he wasn't even criticizing her. He was criticizing HNIC. For doing the same kind of stuff they and every other media outlet always does.

His real dumb mistake was singling out where they placed a woman and an incredibly male dominated field for benefiting from the same kind of stuff that everybody in media benefits from and/or for having biases (99% of sports media have team/individual biases).

It was a dumb tweet. He deleted it. He got **** on for it.

If you can't figure why people got upset about how Ken Campbell came off like he's just discovering the most long standing and irritating problem about sports media when its a woman, then I don't know what to say.

Again why he was "made to eat shit for it" seems pretty stupid to me. He didn't say anything dumb. The fact that a bunch of losers had to get all worked up over it shows how pathetic they are more than him.

He didn't say anything wrong and shouldnt have had to apologize for anything.

And I say all this as someone who cannot stand Ken Campbell or the crap that he writes.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Again why he was "made to eat **** for it" seems pretty stupid to me. He didn't say anything dumb. The fact that a bunch of losers had to get all worked up over it shows how pathetic they are more than him.

He didn't say anything wrong and shouldnt have had to apologize for anything.

And I say all this as someone who cannot stand Ken Campbell or the crap that he writes.

Again, if you can't recognize the problem with the way he presented his thoughts, when even he recognized the need for self reflection, I'm not sure what to say.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Who cares? She provides bland and uninformative commentary any ways.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Again, if you can't recognize the problem with the way he presented his thoughts, when even he recognized the need for self reflection, I'm not sure what to say.

Well then I guess there is nothing to say because there was nothing wrong at all with what he said or how he presented it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad