News Article: THN: Islanders Next Generation Slams Book Shut On Tavares Era With Convincing Win Over Maple Leafs

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
THN article today by ken Campbell

Excerpt:

It’s impossible, and far too early, to determine whether the New York Islanders are actually better off without John Tavares than with him. But we know this much. They are now 1-0-0 against Tavares and have 44 points in 37 games, which is exactly how many they had last season with Tavares as their star player and face of the franchise. And you get the sense that this is not a team that is going to fall off a cliff the way last year’s team did.

We also know that Mat Barzal, Tavares’ replacement in all categories, is well equipped to replace the former captain. Barzal’s natural hat trick against the Maple Leafs in the Islanders 4-0 win Saturday night, the first-ever meeting between Tavares and his former team, put a very tidy exclamation point on that. Thrust into a starring role, Barzal has embraced the pressure that comes with it and under Trotz is a far better player in his own zone. He sure looked like a player on a mission to prove everyone that the sky is not going to fall in just because Tavares left town. “Anytime you play on Hockey Night in Canada and come into the mecca of hockey, you try to play a good game,” Barzal said. “If you don’t come prepared to play against these guys, they’ll eat you up.”

Read the rest HERE

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Excerpt:

It’s impossible, and far too early, to determine whether the New York Islanders are actually better off without John Tavares than with him. But we know this much. They are now 1-0-0 against Tavares and have 44 points in 37 games, which is exactly how many they had last season with Tavares as their star player and face of the franchise. And you get the sense that this is not a team that is going to fall off a cliff the way last year’s team did.

We also know that Mat Barzal, Tavares’ replacement in all categories, is well equipped to replace the former captain. Barzal’s natural hat trick against the Maple Leafs in the Islanders 4-0 win Saturday night, the first-ever meeting between Tavares and his former team, put a very tidy exclamation point on that. Thrust into a starring role, Barzal has embraced the pressure that comes with it and under Trotz is a far better player in his own zone. He sure looked like a player on a mission to prove everyone that the sky is not going to fall in just because Tavares left town. “Anytime you play on Hockey Night in Canada and come into the mecca of hockey, you try to play a good game,” Barzal said. “If you don’t come prepared to play against these guys, they’ll eat you up.”

Read the rest HERE

I'm laughing because they changed his quote to actually say the mecca of hockey instead of the so-called mecca. Too funny.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island

Excerpt:

Read the rest HERE
I really don’t like this part
“said Lamoriello, who also said “without question” there will be a tribute to Tavares when he returns to Long Island Feb. 28 in a game that fittingly, will be played at Nassau Coliseum.”

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
“said Lamoriello, who also said “without question” there will be a tribute to Tavares when he returns to Long Island Feb. 28 in a game that fittingly, will be played at Nassau Coliseum.”

The 'tribute' could be all of his shootout misses and OT losses he was on the ice for . . . and finishes up with a 10-second shot of his pajama tweet

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Was about to post the same thing.

Reactions: Quicklime

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm laughing because they changed his quote to actually say the mecca of hockey instead of the so-called mecca. Too funny.
I seem to be getting a vibe from Canadian hockey fans that they hate the Ontario based hockey media too. They get treated like crap by them while the pundits slobber all over the Leafs.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I hope the fans treat it as a funeral. Celebrate John Tavares the Islander, and cheer the tribute video loud and proud. Then close the casket and let him hear it every time he touches the puck for the rest of his career.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
I like that Komarov doesn’t let Ho-sang out of his sight.

Komarov sounds hilarious. Read an article yesterday that said when he and Kadri were rookies he used to try to read him goodnight stories as a joke bc Kadri was so much younger.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Excerpt:

Read the rest HERE

This reporter is looking through the wrong end of the telescope. Instead of saying the Islanders aren't toast without Tavares, ask how could they could've been if Trotz was coaching him with the Islanders.

Reactions: Big L

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Excerpt:

Read the rest HERE

Good read. Especially the part about the vets influence on the kids.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This reporter is looking through the wrong end of the telescope. Instead of saying the Islanders aren't toast without Tavares, ask how could they could've been if Trotz was coaching him with the Islanders.

I have to agree, anybody who has closely followed this team would realize Coaching has been an issue since Ted Nolan was here, and even then he was damaged goods

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

@Eberzal keeps saying it but he is 100% correct. Is the 2015 team was coached by Trotz they would have reached the conference finals.

As an Islander fan I am fine with the past if the present and future is now going to be ran like a Stanley Cup Champion would run it.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I hope the fans treat it as a funeral. Celebrate John Tavares the Islander, and cheer the tribute video loud and proud. Then close the casket and let him hear it every time he touches the puck for the rest of his career.

Disagree. I’m hoping for boos throughout the entire thing. I’m hoping it turns ugly just for the entertainment value

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Islanders need to go all Pittsburgh circa 2011 that game. Sign Trevor Gillies out of retirement just for that game

I would take a 4-0 win again but at the end of the game hit him into the bench or something. It is not like Toronto is going to be able to do shit anyway. I'm pretty sure some of the fans might be tougher than that roster.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
All the tough guys can just see JT in the parking lot try and injure him in a fight let us know how that works out I doubt anyone on here would last thirty seconds with him

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I hope it’s drowned out by a thunderstorm of boos. I have faith in my isles brethren that it will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad