Prospect Info: THN Future Watch 2024 and Habs prospects

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It’s that time of year again. My copy arrived this afternoon.

Historically, each teams top 10 prospect list would be chosen by an actual member of management..but I have no idea if that’s actually still the case this year. Brian Costello at THN confirmed this to me last year.

The “Top 100” list is created after a panel of NHL scouts and execs are polled about the top prospects in the game and what they are projected to be 5 and 10 years down the road.

Typically, if a player is considered an NHL regular at the time of publication, they aren’t eligible for Future Watch.

I can’t post the full list due to copyright and site rules, but I can post the top 15 for discussion purposes..

1. Matvei Michkov
2. Cutter Gauthier
3. Will Smith
4. Simon Edvinsson
5. Brandt Clarke
6. Juri Kulich
7. Jimmy Snuggerud
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Ryan Leonard
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
12. Gabe Perreault
13. David Reinbacher
14. Shane Wright
15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka

The Habs list for 2024:

1. David Reinbacher (13)
2. Lane Hutson (49)
3. Owen Beck (60)
4. Joshua Roy (83)
5. Filip Mesar (89)
6. Logan Mailloux
7. Jacob Fowler
8. Adam Engstrom
9. Sean Farrell
10. Jakus Dobes

Our boy Lane is still being doubted..Not a chance in hell are there 48 prospects in hockey better than him.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member

Historically, each teams top 10 prospect list would be chosen by an actual member of management..but I have no idea if that’s actually still the case this year. Brian Costello at THN confirmed this to me last year.

The “Top 100” list is created after a panel of NHL scouts and execs are polled about the top prospects in the game and what they are projected to be 5 and 10 years down the road.

Typically, if a player is considered an NHL regular at the time of publication, they aren’t eligible for Future Watch.

I can’t post the full list due to copyright and site rules, but I can post the top 15 for discussion purposes..

1. Matvei Michkov
2. Cutter Gauthier
3. Will Smith
4. Simon Edvinsson
5. Brandt Clarke
6. Juri Kulich
7. Jimmy Snuggerud
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Ryan Leonard
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
12. Gabe Perreault
13. David Reinbacher
14. Shane Wright
15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka

The Habs list for 2024:

1. David Reinbacher (13)
2. Lane Hutson (49)
3. Owen Beck (60)
4. Joshua Roy (83)
5. Filip Mesar (89)
6. Logan Mailloux
7. Jacob Fowler
8. Adam Engstrom
9. Sean Farrell
10. Jakus Dobes

Our boy Lane is still being doubted..Not a chance in hell are there 48 prospects in hockey better than him.
Thats at least 3 later picks than we made last year in 1st round who are higher than ours.
Not loving that but its still wayt too early

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

1. Matvei Michkov
2. Cutter Gauthier
3. Will Smith
4. Simon Edvinsson
5. Brandt Clarke
6. Juri Kulich
7. Jimmy Snuggerud
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Ryan Leonard
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
12. Gabe Perreault
13. David Reinbacher
14. Shane Wright
15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka

The Habs list for 2024:

1. David Reinbacher (13)
2. Lane Hutson (49)
3. Owen Beck (60)
4. Joshua Roy (83)
5. Filip Mesar (89)
6. Logan Mailloux
7. Jacob Fowler
8. Adam Engstrom
9. Sean Farrell
10. Jakus Dobes

Won't even comment on the league wide prospect list.

On our list I have:

1. Reinbacher
2. Hutson
3. Mailloux
4. Roy
5. Engstrom
6. Fowler
7. Beck
8. Bogdan
9. Heineman
10. Mesar
11. Farrell
12. Dobes
13. Simoneau

Roy for sure may overtake Mailloux at some point.
Hopefully the scouting team learns from taking Mesar over Kulich.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

1. Matvei Michkov
2. Cutter Gauthier
3. Will Smith
4. Simon Edvinsson
5. Brandt Clarke
6. Juri Kulich
7. Jimmy Snuggerud
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Ryan Leonard
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
12. Gabe Perreault
13. David Reinbacher
14. Shane Wright
15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka

The Habs list for 2024:

1. David Reinbacher (13)
2. Lane Hutson (49)
3. Owen Beck (60)
4. Joshua Roy (83)
5. Filip Mesar (89)
6. Logan Mailloux
7. Jacob Fowler
8. Adam Engstrom
9. Sean Farrell
10. Jakus Dobes

Habs made big mistake passing on Kulich. I don't know what Hughes thinking. Especially with us already overflowing with Smurfs. I can't even watch that draft clip. I knew Kulich was going to be good one

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Thats at least 3 later picks than we made last year in 1st round who are higher than ours.
Not loving that but its still wayt too early
The list is absolute garbage.

Habs made big mistake passing on Kulich. I don't know what Hughes thinking. Especially with us already overflowing with Smurfs. I can't even watch that draft clip. I knew Kulich was going to be good one
If Kulich was any good he would be in the NHL instead of Benson.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

1. Matvei Michkov
2. Cutter Gauthier
3. Will Smith
4. Simon Edvinsson
5. Brandt Clarke
6. Juri Kulich
7. Jimmy Snuggerud
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Ryan Leonard
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
12. Gabe Perreault
13. David Reinbacher
14. Shane Wright
15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka

The Habs list for 2024:

1. David Reinbacher (13)
2. Lane Hutson (49)
3. Owen Beck (60)
4. Joshua Roy (83)
5. Filip Mesar (89)
6. Logan Mailloux
7. Jacob Fowler
8. Adam Engstrom
9. Sean Farrell
10. Jakus Dobes

In the bigger picture, only two Canadians are in the top 15. We have been caught and we will soon be passed by the other strong hockey nations. Its only a matter of time.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Won't even comment on the league wide prospect list.

On our list I have:

1. Reinbacher
2. Hutson
3. Mailloux
4. Roy
5. Engstrom
6. Fowler
7. Beck
8. Bogdan
9. Heineman
10. Mesar
11. Farrell
12. Dobes
13. Simoneau

Roy for sure may overtake Mailloux at some point.
Hopefully the scouting team learns from taking Mesar over Kulich.
Not quibbling with your list, but if it's accurate, I see 2 players that will probably never make the NHL; 4 players that will be fringe NHLers ; 3 players who will be competent NHLers and 4 players who may have impactful NHL careers .

Let's hope we have a good draft this year. We need it.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Was looking for the thread which had all the Habs THN lists from way back. Maybe it was zapped for copyright reasons?

I do like to compare year to year lists, checking the risers and fallers. Sometimes THN gives some background on the process, i.e. how many scouts submitted lists that they combine to make their list. I remember one year it was 6 scouts, so not a lot.

It's still just a snapshot of a point in time based on opinions. The only prospects who will become NHL players are the ones who continue to progress. Jayden Struble is an example of someone who wasn't probably high on these lists in the past but has bypassed others.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Was looking for the thread which had all the Habs THN lists from way back. Maybe it was zapped for copyright reasons?

I do like to compare year to year lists, checking the risers and fallers. Sometimes THN gives some background on the process, i.e. how many scouts submitted lists that they combine to make their list. I remember one year it was 6 scouts, so not a lot.

It's still just a snapshot of a point in time based on opinions. The only prospects who will become NHL players are the ones who continue to progress. Jayden Struble is an example of someone who wasn't probably high on these lists in the past but has bypassed others.

Looks like I need to update it.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Hutson at 49?!?!

It's crazy that some people don't know about potential and talent.

Hutson should be easily in top 20, come on.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
How can Michkov be even rated if no one get to see him play?

The top 100 list is put together after a group of scouts employed by NHL clubs, and league executives (who are being reported to by said scouts) are polled by The Hockey News. So obviously NHL scouts see their fair share of Michkov even if they can’t see him in person currently. They have extensive video resources I’m sure. The list wasn’t put together by teenaged bloggers like some of the others you see on the net.

• Wow
Reactions: Team_Spirit

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
How is Askarov not top 3?

I watched the beanpot Gauthier wasn't even the 3rd best player in the tournament.

Lycksell and Dries have as many goals/gp as Kulich. Who? Exactly

Teenagers in their moms basement could do a better job, imo. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The top 100 list is put together after a group of scouts employed by NHL clubs, and league executives (who are being reported to by said scouts) are polled by The Hockey News. So obviously NHL scouts see their fair share of Michkov even if they can’t see him in person currently. They have extensive video resources I’m sure. The list wasn’t put together by teenaged bloggers like some of the others you see on the net.

The list is bad and THN became an entirely irrelevant publication a long time ago.

I am sure that they have some input from a small number of scouts who are affiliated with NHL teams and perhaps some form of league "executives" which is almost certainly not GM's or head scouts. I could make exactly the same claim from people that I know but I would be ashamed to even pretend that such a list would mean anything at all. Very few scouts have much knowledge of players outside of their regions and how do we know that these are even scouts who are scouting amateur players. THN makes a claim to try and establish credibility but the claim is unsubstantiated, extremely vague and does not merit any extra consideration imo.

While I do agree with your last sentence I would submit that this list isn't of much more importance than the other fake scouting lists that are endlessly quoted around here.

It should also be pointed out that all lists of this nature are dumb and are of little interest to myself. They are fun for fans to debate but are otherwise a waste of time.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Y'all looking at Hutson like this is insane and here I am trying to understand wtf Roy has to do to convince he's an actual good prospect?!?! 83 is pure madness.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Kulich be about like Robert Thomas. Centers take longer to develop. Benson more use to NA ice, but size is against him more. You comparing apples to oranges. Bendon more skilled though.
Kukich is in his 2nd season in the AHL. He was used to NA ice by the end of last season.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
The list is bad and THN became an entirely irrelevant publication a long time ago.

I am sure that they have some input from a small number of scouts who are affiliated with NHL teams and perhaps some form of league "executives" which is almost certainly not GM's or head scouts. I could make exactly the same claim from people that I know but I would be ashamed to even pretend that such a list would mean anything at all. Very few scouts have much knowledge of players outside of their regions and how do we know that these are even scouts who are scouting amateur players. THN makes a claim to try and establish credibility but the claim is unsubstantiated, extremely vague and does not merit any extra consideration imo.

While I do agree with your last sentence I would submit that this list isn't of much more importance than the other fake scouting lists that are endlessly quoted around here.

It should also be pointed out that all lists of this nature are dumb and are of little interest to myself. They are fun for fans to debate but are otherwise a waste of time.
This is a sad reality, THN used to be the equal of the Sporting News, which used to be considered the Bible of Baseball, used to look forward to each issue that was handed down to me by my cousin! Was a great time to be a sports fan, used to absorb front to back!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Which is why I don't believe that HuGo passed on Michkov because of a lack of viewing. Now with respect to the top 100 list teams are probably trying to pump up players they want to get rid of so they will tell HN that player is their 3rd best prospect.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Which is why I don't believe that HuGo passed on Michkov because of a lack of viewing. Now with respect to the top 100 list teams are probably trying to pump up players they want to get rid of so they will tell HN that player is their 3rd best prospect.

Other GM's aren't going to read THN garbage to gain insight into other team's prospects lol.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Other GM's aren't going to read THN garbage to gain insight into other team's prospects lol.
Of course they read the list but I am sure they don't put a lot of credence in it (well maybe MB would have).. It's just one way to pump up a player that you may want to get rid of.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad