This year's new PP recipe =...

BigBush*

He had 5 powerplay goals in his first 29 games, 1 in the next 51 games. 4 of his powerplay goals came in a stretch of 7 games from November 29 to December 13th. Seems like he was more lucky than actually good on the powerplay.

Well said

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
if karlsson plays as much as he does, i do like hoffman being on the point because he can carry the puck as well and take the workload off ek

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No Legwand should help the PP bunches...

I agree. Legwand was too slow and was not a major scoring threat on the PP.

I agree with comments by others that there was insufficient player movement on the PP. There was too little attacking the net with speed. I believe that the PP requires players who can handle the puck well and who have high skating speed and first three step quickness. There was also a lack of a big player who could play in front of the net and screen the goaltender.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
With pretty much the same personnel as last year, the PP is probably my only area of concern for this year. Face offs in the O-zone, play on the half-board, one-timers, a big man with good hands up front, and most importantly a point guy to partner up with Karlsson are all still areas of need.

Hopefully additional experience for Hoff, Ceci, Stone and Ziba will help address these issues. I still want to see Cowen used on the PP. If Wideman gets a spot on the roster he could make a big difference too. Ideally though, I would have loved to see some outside help. We are really missing Alfie, Spezza and Gonchar's contributions in recent years

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
PP is the one area where Spezza's absence is really felt. We don't have anybody else quite as dynamic as he is up front with great vision, hands, a wicked shot, and the will to take risks.

Not sure how much structural change will offset the personnel issue.

BigBush*

PP is the one area where Spezza's absence is really felt. We don't have anybody else quite as dynamic as he is up front with great vision, hands, a wicked shot, and the will to take risks.

Not sure how much structural change will offset the personnel issue.
Bingo. At the end of the day, a coach can only do so much. Losing one of the better PP players in the game is what hurt the most

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Have Two centres on the first unit for possession purposes.

Karlsson on his off side won't do much he is able to get is shot on net 90% of the time regardless. The guy who should be receiving one timers should be Zibby deadliest slapper on the team.

Zibby/Hoffman should play on the point.

PHILLIPS SHOULDN'T BE ANYWHERE ****ING NEAR THE PP, SAME WITH NEIL.

Have Wideman be the secondary Karlsson for the second unit.

My ideal first unit

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan/Stone
. Zibanejad - Karlsson

Second unit

MacArthur - Pageau - Stone/Ryan
Ceci - Wideman

Id like to see Wideman on the first pp with Karlsson, with both of them being right handed shots Wideman should be able to set up Karl for a one T.

You forgot Wiercioch BTW.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well said

You could make a case with the underlying numbers that he was actually unlucky.

The team had the highest shot attempts per 60 when he was on the ice for a PP, and it resulted in the second highest GF/60 among all sens on the PP, but his individual point percentage (% of teams goals he was on the ice for that he recorded a pt on) was actually pretty low.

His toi droped when Cameron took over, but Idk if that was the case on the PP too. That could partially explain his drop in production in games 30 and beyond.

My personal feeling is he wasn't really a key cog, or a hinderance on the PP. He was always just kinda there. Edit: I think they wanted him there for the faceoff...

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
Nice to see that several of us agree that Pageau should be used on the PP, I can see him having a positive effect there and generating good plays while having better puck control in enemy zone.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
You guys with no Michalek on the PP are crazy.

He's been decent going to the front of the net in the past. You can't score on the PP with only perimeter play and nobody screening the goalie.

Stone or Ryan might do it but I don't think that's making the best use of Stone's playmaking or Ryan's shot.

Besides, Michalek is a vet, he'll get a bit of "respect" opportunity.

Michalek - Turris - Stone
Wiercioch - Karlsson

Second unit

Hoffman- Zibanejad - Ryan
Ceci - Wideman

I like the idea of Zibanejad at the point but Wiercioch has had moments of brilliance and I want to see what he can do with more time to gel.

If you're dressing Wiercioch and Wideman I think they need to play on the PP. If one sits for Borowiecki, Zibanejad takes the spot on the point with Pageau at centre (unless Lazar is having a good stretch and deserves a cookie).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1st Unit:
MacArthur/Michalek - Turris - Stone
Wiercioch - Karlsson

2nd Unit:
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Wideman - Ceci

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Cameron's quote on the pp was that they do well in practice and then forget what they're suppose to do on game day.

If true, that is damning on the PP players. Or, the PP plan is being disrupted by the PK of the opponent team, in which case, the fault lies with the coaching staff and/or the players for not adjusting. Or, some of the PP players were not good enough, which is probably closer to the truth. Probably the reason why GM Murray says he wants to get a top 6 forward. I tend to agree with that.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
1st Unit:
MacArthur/Michalek - Turris - Stone
Wiercioch - Karlsson

2nd Unit:
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Wideman - Ceci

Having Wiercioch, Michalek and Stone together would not provide the quickness & speed I would like on the PP. For that reason I would put Wideman in place of Wiercioch on the LD, and consider putting Hoffman on LW for his speed and quick release shot instead of MacArthur and more particularly Michalek. Might even consider subbing Ryan for Stone if Ryan shows more intensity than last year, but Stone is OK there IMO.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'd love to see the Sens fix their zone entry on the PP. That was the biggest issue that I noticed last season. It seemed like they just couldn't get across that blue line with the puck. If they solve that, the rest will follow.

That's my two cents anyway.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Prince showed some good PP sense & quick release during this preseason. I would like to see him get a shot on PP, even if he's a rookie. I still can't believe Sens didn't bring him up for last year's playoff vs Habs.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The clear recipe the Sens are trying is Macarthur on the point on the PP unit one and Hoffman on unit 2 point. With Karlsson changing sides on the second PP.

No D aside from Karlsson on either PP.

At least that is what the did every PP versus the Sabres.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Need more movement.

Need a guy around the net who has his head screwed on straight. Too many times over the past few seasons the guy at or near the net would have such slow reaction time in regards to tips, rebounds, digging at loose pucks, etc...it's like they get too focused at watching the play instead of being active around the net and fall asleep.

Passing. I don't know what it is, but our team has a lot of horrible passers. Passing behind guys and into skates. If you're going to miss a guy with a pass, make the 'miss' a bit ahead of the guy so he can skate hard to retrieve the puck....don't pass into his skates or behind him so he has to look down and/or stop. That's why we're so slow moving the puck up the ice half the time. Gotta be able to hit guys in their stride with a pass, not just when they're standing still. Quick transition is a must.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Having Wiercioch, Michalek and Stone together would not provide the quickness & speed I would like on the PP. For that reason I would put Wideman in place of Wiercioch on the LD, and consider putting Hoffman on LW for his speed and quick release shot instead of MacArthur and more particularly Michalek. Might even consider subbing Ryan for Stone if Ryan shows more intensity than last year, but Stone is OK there IMO.

Just for you, although I often like to post Ryan with Turris & MacArthur & Stone with Zibanejad & Hoffman.

1st Unit:
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Wiercioch - Karlsson

2nd Unit:
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Methot - Ceci - I decided to add Methot & his experience with these young guys to settle them down on the PP rather than add an older rookie although occasional wouldn't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad