This year's new PP recipe =...

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Sens under-performed on PP last season most would agree. Was this due to:
A) players failing to take advantage
B) poor coaching strategy on PP
C) other (injuries? Etc)

What ingredients should this year's PP contain? A bit less standing still? Put Alfie back on the PP? A dash of Wideman?

BigBush*

Karlsson on his off side I guess??

I don't know if the team is going to have a good PP next year. The Sens are built on well rounded 2 way players, not elite offensive players

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
How much blame do the coaches bear for last season's PP? Maybe we need an injection of new blood with better ideas & strategies?!...Alfie input? (Looks like we won't be able to fall back on BigRig in 1st PP unit this season)

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Need to focus more on the down low play over the point play. Karlsson gets covered too hard. He'll get his chances if the forwards can become threats to set up plays from behind the net

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
How much blame do the coaches bear for last season's PP? Maybe we need an injection of new blood with better ideas & strategies?!...Alfie input?

Cameron's quote on the pp was that they do well in practice and then forget what they're suppose to do on game day.

BigBush*

Need to focus more on the down low play over the point play. Karlsson gets covered too hard. He'll get his chances if the forwards can become threats to set up plays from behind the net

Ya, I noticed that a lot to. Guys always seem to just put the puck back to Karlsson. To predictable

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How much blame do the coaches bear for last season's PP? Maybe we need an injection of new blood with better ideas & strategies?!...Alfie input?

PP was 20% under MacLean, 15% under Cameron.

Oddly, we did far better on the road under Cameron, running at 20.5%, and 10.3 at home, where as MacLean's team did better at home (25.5%) than on the road (14.3%). The PK was not nearly as volatile.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Horrific zone entries was one of the problems.

- Slow skating up the ice
- Not everyone swings back to move WITH the puck carrier = some standing still = god awful zone entry.
- Fail drop pass at the blueline.

On the PP itself

- Too.Much.Passing
- Slow passing
- No player movement on the boards/down low.

All pretty fixable, and with the forwards and D we have it shouldn't be an issue.

Hoffman, MacA, Turris, Karlsson and Ceci are all fast skaters.

Ryan seemingly has gotten more powerful, so that will help the issue.

Basically, they were way too conservative last year.

They need to go in the PP with a vicious attacking mentality.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
It would be nice to get somebody with a big one-timer from the right point to play with Karlsson. The PKers wouldn't able able to play Karlsson nearly so tight if he had a easy one-timer option.

As somebody else said, getting the down-low play working would also help keep the heat off of Karlsson. They key is that the rest of the PPers need to prove that if the PK overplays on Karlsson, then they'll punish them for it.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Sens PP%=16.8 (for 22nd rank) vs about 25% for top 3 PP teams (Caps, Wings, Flyers). How much top team's success is due to system vs sniper? Ovie etc

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Have Two centres on the first unit for possession purposes.

Karlsson on his off side won't do much he is able to get is shot on net 90% of the time regardless. The guy who should be receiving one timers should be Zibby deadliest slapper on the team.

Zibby/Hoffman should play on the point.

PHILLIPS SHOULDN'T BE ANYWHERE ****ING NEAR THE PP, SAME WITH NEIL.

Have Wideman be the secondary Karlsson for the second unit.

My ideal first unit

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan/Stone
. Zibanejad - Karlsson

Second unit

MacArthur - Pageau - Stone/Ryan
Ceci - Wideman

BigBush*

Have Two centres on the first unit for possession purposes.

Karlsson on his off side won't do much he is able to get is shot on net 90% of the time regardless. The guy who should be receiving one timers should be Zibby deadliest slapper on the team.

Zibby/Hoffman should play on the point.

PHILLIPS SHOULDN'T BE ANYWHERE ****ING NEAR THE PP, SAME WITH NEIL.

Have Wideman be the secondary Karlsson for the second unit.

My ideal first unit

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan/Stone
. Zibanejad - Karlsson

Second unit

MacArthur - Pageau - Stone/Ryan
Ceci - Wideman

I think it'd help out a lot. Zibby does have a rocket of a shot but it is no where near as accurate as Karlssons.

I think Karlsson should go back to being the trigger man for the one timer on the PP

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I think it'd help out a lot. Zibby does have a rocket of a shot but it is no where near as accurate as Karlssons.

I think Karlsson should go back to being the trigger man for the one timer on the PP

I wonder which of PP forwards is willing/able to block goalie & tip pucks?! Some are a bit too delicate it seems

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder which of PP forwards is willing/able to block goalie & tip pucks?! Some are a bit too delicate it seems
that's the easy part i think, need the inbetween of skill players making the magic happen.

without pp magicians at the forward position, we need to plan a good pp strategy, which can be done with karlsson. he was so lethal playing on team sweden with backstrom doing the forwards work

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Unit 1
Stone (in front of the net)
Turris (behind the net)
Zibby (Half wall left side)
Ryan (Roaming Right side)
Karlsson (point/doing whatever he wants haha)

Unit 2
Pageau/Lazar (in front of the net on one side)
Macarthur (in front of the net on the other side)
Hoffman (roaming on the left side)
Wideman (roaming on the right side)
Ceci (point)

a normal setup for the first unit while for the second unit its more crash the net/throw everything on the net

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Say what you will but he was the top scorer

He had 5 powerplay goals in his first 29 games, 1 in the next 51 games. 4 of his powerplay goals came in a stretch of 7 games from November 29 to December 13th. Seems like he was more lucky than actually good on the powerplay.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Unit 1
Stone (in front of the net)
Turris (behind the net)
Zibby (Half wall left side)
Ryan (Roaming Right side)
Karlsson (point/doing whatever he wants haha)

Unit 2
Pageau/Lazar (in front of the net on one side)
Macarthur (in front of the net on the other side)
Hoffman (roaming on the left side)
Wideman (roaming on the right side)
Ceci (point)

a normal setup for the first unit while for the second unit its more crash the net/throw everything on the net

NO WIERCIOCH!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!
Everything is perfect otherwise

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We need Phillips' experience and leadership on the point, and Greening and Neil's big bodies up front.

though what TheNewEra said a couple of posts above might work a little better...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad