This Time Last Year... A Train Wreck Ahead

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Meh. They're gonna break our hearts anyway but it better happen in the playoffs as we don't have that glorious 1st round pick this year.

I don't think very many people have much hope for the team even if they make the playoffs. A vociferous bunch don't believe they can beat the Ducks or the Kings so that'll make it difficult to get out of the 1st round and difficult to have your heart broken when you expect to lose. But I know the natural response to this is that the Sharks will find a way to make you think they will win and blow it.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I don't think very many people have much hope for the team even if they make the playoffs. A vociferous bunch don't believe they can beat the Ducks or the Kings so that'll make it difficult to get out of the 1st round and difficult to have your heart broken when you expect to lose. But I know the natural response to this is that the Sharks will find a way to make you think they will win and blow it.

Ehh, I don't put much stock in people having little hope. If there is one thing I've learned from being a sports fan, it's that anything can happen, especially in the playoffs. Year after year teams that are expected to lose early win or have deep runs. We simply focus on the Sharks and call them chokers but every team is a choker until they're not. When the Kings won their first cup, were they expected to win? No. Were their fans *****ing and whining and being "realistic" before then? I am sure they were. That is the nature of sports and being a fan. You feel pain over and over and expect it. Then you win, and all is forgotten (for a short time).

I am not placing money on the Sharks making the WCF let alone winning a cup, but anything can happen in the playoffs. This team has the talent to beat anyone when they play well as a team. Most likely they won't but I'm not counting them out. Maybe everything will just click for Jones and the boys will ride him in the playoffs. Maybe Donskoi will get better and better and give us much needed depth scoring. Maybe Hertl will continue to go beast mode with that first line. Maybe our team will just click at the right time for 20+ games in May+June. Maybe Ward will provide that much needed toughness and depth scoring in the playoffs. Who knows?

Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous, despite the obvious possibility of this month going badly and the similar numbers to last season. Blow up the team while they're in 2nd place because the 14-15 season plummeted here? Seriously? How does someone even justify that train of thought if they follow sports regularly?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ehh, I don't put much stock in people having little hope. If there is one thing I've learned from being a sports fan, it's that anything can happen, especially in the playoffs. Year after year teams that are expected to lose early win or have deep runs. We simply focus on the Sharks and call them chokers but every team is a choker until they're not. When the Kings won their first cup, were they expected to win? No. Were their fans *****ing and whining and being "realistic" before then? I am sure they were. That is the nature of sports and being a fan. You feel pain over and over and expect it. Then you win, and all is forgotten (for a short time).

I am not placing money on the Sharks making the WCF let alone winning a cup, but anything can happen in the playoffs. This team has the talent to beat anyone when they play well as a team. Most likely they won't but I'm not counting them out. Maybe everything will just click for Jones and the boys will ride him in the playoffs. Maybe Donskoi will get better and better and give us much needed depth scoring. Maybe Hertl will continue to go beast mode with that first line. Maybe our team will just click at the right time for 20+ games in May+June. Maybe Ward will provide that much needed toughness and depth scoring in the playoffs. Who knows?

Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous, despite the obvious possibility of this month going badly and the similar numbers to last season. Blow up the team while they're in 2nd place because the 14-15 season plummeted here? Seriously? How does someone even justify that train of thought if they follow sports regularly?

I probably would place money on the Sharks making the conference finals just because the odds are likely so low of them doing so that they'd probably be a good value bet. haha

I agree with the thought process being shaky. I think it's easy to see that this team is better than it was last year and it is very long odds of them replicating the performance they had last year this month.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
When I look at the schedule for February, I see a 7-7 month. Better than last year, not great but probably realistic and should keep them in a good spot. This is a tough month with the travel and opponents involved. I mean, other than this stretch just after the Chicago, they're going to be travelling pretty much every day or every other day. They're not going to get a real break from travelling until next month around this time. It's not going to be easy but I still expect them to do better than last year even with a much tougher schedule.
Which would likely be fine. Arizona and Vancouver are slowing down and regressing while Edmonton and Calgary are pretty far back. None of those teams put fear in me that they'll run off a bunch of wins in that time frame.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This February is going to have a lot more leash than last season just based on the schedule. Last year was a very home-based February and this year is a very road-based February. Just because they're good on the road thus far doesn't mean that they're expected to win the majority of these road games.

It's tough for anyone to expect them to win in Chicago. They should win all four of their home games this month. Tampa, Florida, St. Louis, and Colorado are going to be tough wins to get in their barn even with the team's win in St. Louis on this trip and a win in Colorado earlier this year. The other two road games against Carolina and Vancouver should be wins. I expect a 7-7 month honestly. Better than last year but this is a better team than last year.

It's also very easy not to compare Jones and Niemi because the two teams are significantly different and the schedules for February are dramatically different. Niemi played in front of a worse team that didn't have forward depth nor blue line depth like it has this year.

I don't think the team is going to fall off like they did last year just because of having more talent this year.

So with this thought process we should go 8-6 now with the win in chiacgo.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So with this thought process we should go 8-6 now with the win in chiacgo.

I'll still go with 7-7. Stealing one they shouldn't have probably will be countered before the month is over with losing a game they shouldn't have. lol

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
We will see, 7 wins a month and we ll be close to making the playoffs.

If we go .500 against the rest of the teams left in this month then we're probably hosed, so.......

We're 10-2-2 in our last 14 BTW. 11-4-2 in our last 17.

You'd barely know it by this board.

Hopefully Dillon isn't hurt bad or long term though.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
If we go .500 against the rest of the teams left in this month then we're probably hosed, so.......

We're 10-2-2 in our last 14 BTW. 11-4-2 in our last 17.

You'd barely know it by this board.

Hopefully Dillon isn't hurt bad or long term though.

We are getting help as the nucks and yotes are struggling right now and the rest appear out of
the race. I hope Dillion is ok also as we're not strong on D depth right now... he's been really good the last few months!

I look more at points needed to make the playoffs, I am cautiously optimistic at this time.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
We are getting help as the nucks and yotes are struggling right now and the rest appear out of
the race. I hope Dillion is ok also as we're not strong on D depth right now... he's been really good the last few months!

I look more at points needed to make the playoffs, I am cautiously optimistic at this time.

The Pacific is weird this year, but my numbers say .590 is the cutoff recently. We've been at .590 or better 4 out of the last five games. We have been below it for the previous 24 games, though in the PO's without considering percentages for most of those games.

.500 this month doesn't bode well for making the PO's much less making noise considering the teams we play.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The Pacific is weird this year, but my numbers say .590 is the cutoff recently. We've been at .590 or better 4 out of the last five games. We have been below it for the previous 24 games, though in the PO's without considering percentages for most of those games.

.500 this month doesn't bode well for making the PO's much less making noise considering the teams we play.

If we use last years playoff cut off for the pacific which was 97 points. Vancouver would need to get 45 out of a possible 56 points in there final 28 games.

I am horrible at math, but that is a 1.60 point per game pace the canucks would have to play at.

Coyotes would need to be on the same pace.

But going easier method. If the sharks keep up the same point% for the rest of the season the cut off will be 93 points.

So the canucks will need to get 41 out of a possible 56 points. Just to tie. Which is still a 1.46 points per game pace.

The sharks for reference are at 1.11. For a better reference for how good the canucks would have to become, chicago has a 1.33 points per game.

Last edited:

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

7-5-2 is not .500, it's a little better... closer to .590 than .500, either way we"re pretty close with either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad