This Time Last Year... A Train Wreck Ahead

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Sharks started this month last season, 3 games in, with a 1-2 record...exactly the same as it is right now for this season. Sharks finished the month 3-8-2.

Another train wreck ahead?

This month will be a good comparison between Jones and Niemi. If I remember correctly, Niemi was leaking goals like an opened car window during a rain. Stalock was good for two losses, which I am sure he'll be good for this year. There are two back to back games this month.

I think the chants of tanking for McJesus peaked after the month. Maybe we'll be chanting "tank for Boston" this time around?

It is likely that February's performance will get the attention of Hasso and the owner's group on Doug Wilson. Drawing the comparison between Jones and Niemi just cannot be helped in this case. If it comes up snake eyes for DW, I'd say bring out the pink slip pad. The one used for executives.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This February is going to have a lot more leash than last season just based on the schedule. Last year was a very home-based February and this year is a very road-based February. Just because they're good on the road thus far doesn't mean that they're expected to win the majority of these road games.

It's tough for anyone to expect them to win in Chicago. They should win all four of their home games this month. Tampa, Florida, St. Louis, and Colorado are going to be tough wins to get in their barn even with the team's win in St. Louis on this trip and a win in Colorado earlier this year. The other two road games against Carolina and Vancouver should be wins. I expect a 7-7 month honestly. Better than last year but this is a better team than last year.

It's also very easy not to compare Jones and Niemi because the two teams are significantly different and the schedules for February are dramatically different. Niemi played in front of a worse team that didn't have forward depth nor blue line depth like it has this year.

I don't think the team is going to fall off like they did last year just because of having more talent this year.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
tumblr_mlxakp15K61s0pj15o1_400.gif

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Sharks were 2-3 against Vancouver last year. Not much as changed in the make up of the team outside of Jones, Martin, Ward, and Donskoi. The two players in an impact position are Jones and Donskoi.

Martin is a bad contract for the Sharks, and Ward has fallen well off his early season pace of productivity. Sharks playoff hopes are on Jones and Donskoi to be the catalyst of change from last year's Sharks.

Jones will have to steal games which he's not been doing enough of. He has the luxury of being the starting goalie on the leagues' 5th best team for SA/G right now. Behind Nashville, Carolina, Anaheim, and Montreal. He should have a better SV% and GAA. Jones is 28 in the league for SV% and 22 in the league for GAA.

I'm still at 1st round and exit for the Sharks as the most likely, with missing the playoff as 2nd likely, and 2nd round exit as 3rd likely.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I hate to bust your youthful bubble that the Sharks will win the cup finals, but there is nothing on the Sharks performance so far to suggest that will happen. Not even remotely.

Too bad the TDL is this month and not next Month. Sharks are in need of rebuilding, not repainting.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Sharks were 2-3 against Vancouver last year. Not much as changed in the make up of the team outside of Jones, Martin, Ward, and Donskoi. The two players in an impact position are Jones and Donskoi.

Martin is a bad contract for the Sharks, and Ward has fallen well off his early season pace of productivity. Sharks playoff hopes are on Jones, Donskoi, and the usual crew.

Jones will have to steal games which he's not been doing enough of. He has the luxury of being the starting goalie on the leagues' 5 best GA/G right now. Behind Nashville, Carolina, Anaheim, and Montreal. He should have a better SV% and GAA. Jones is 28 in the league for SV% and 22 in the league for GAA.

I'm still at 1st round and exit for the Sharks as the most likely, with missing the playoff as 2nd likely, and 2nd round exit as 3rd likely.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I hate to bust your youthful bubble that the Sharks will win the cup finals, but there is nothing on the Sharks performance so far to suggest that will happen. Not even remotely.

Too bad the TDL is this month and not next Month. Sharks are in need of rebuilding, not repainting.

I'm probably twice your age :laugh:

And I hate to break it to you... Not Gonna Happen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Martin is a bad contract for the Sharks, and Ward has fallen well off his early season pace of productivity. Sharks playoff hopes are on Jones and Donskoi to be the catalyst of change from last year's Sharks.

Jones will have to steal games which he's not been doing enough of. He has the luxury of being the starting goalie on the leagues' 5th best team for SA/G right now. Behind Nashville, Carolina, Anaheim, and Montreal. He should have a better SV% and GAA. Jones is 28 in the league for SV% and 22 in the league for GAA.

You point to four players being different from last year and that's somehow not much change? That's a better starting goalie, added depth to the blue line (Martin is better than any of the other guys that were on the blue line that aren't on it now like Irwin, Stollery, Fedun, Mueller, Hannan, and Tennyson). Having 5 guys that are NHL caliber is a huge boost compared to just having 4 on the blue line. Also, adding two top-nine caliber forwards to the mix when they didn't really have that many before is also kind of a big deal.

Also, Vancouver is markedly worse this year. They are significantly worse offensively with Vrbata having a significantly worse year. Their special teams is trash compared to last year.

Jones will not have to steal games for this team to win going forward. The team just needs to show up, play solid defensively, and take advantage of their chances. This team wins when they're on their game defensively which is something they're certainly capable of doing consistently. I don't necessarily disagree with them probably losing in the first round. I disagree that missing the playoffs is more likely than advancing to the 2nd round. The Sharks have a much better chance beating the Ducks than they do of being passed by Arizona, Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton to knock them out of the playoffs by the regular season's end.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Sharks started this month last season, 3 games in, with a 1-2 record...exactly the same as it is right now for this season. Sharks finished the month 3-8-2.

Another train wreck ahead?

This month will be a good comparison between Jones and Niemi. If I remember correctly, Niemi was leaking goals like an opened car window during a rain. Stalock was good for two losses, which I am sure he'll be good for this year. There are two back to back games this month.

I think the chants of tanking for McJesus peaked after the month. Maybe we'll be chanting "tank for Boston" this time around?

It is likely that February's performance will get the attention of Hasso and the owner's group on Doug Wilson. Drawing the comparison between Jones and Niemi just cannot be helped in this case. If it comes up snake eyes for DW, I'd say bring out the pink slip pad. The one used for executives.

I'll bet you we beat that mark, whoever is wrong does not post in all of march.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
After 51 games this year vs last year:

27-20-4 (58pts) vs 27-17-7 (61pts)
2nd in Pacific, 5th in West, 14th in League vs 2nd in Pacific, 5th in West, 13th in League
Jones .913 sv% vs Niemi .913 sv%

Eerily similar to last year. But with upgraded defense and better offense, I think we finish strong.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Time to quit looking through the rear-view and start looking ahead.

When I look at the schedule for February, I see a 7-7 month. Better than last year, not great but probably realistic and should keep them in a good spot. This is a tough month with the travel and opponents involved. I mean, other than this stretch just after the Chicago, they're going to be travelling pretty much every day or every other day. They're not going to get a real break from travelling until next month around this time. It's not going to be easy but I still expect them to do better than last year even with a much tougher schedule.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
When I look at the schedule for February, I see a 7-7 month. Better than last year, not great but probably realistic and should keep them in a good spot. This is a tough month with the travel and opponents involved. I mean, other than this stretch just after the Chicago, they're going to be travelling pretty much every day or every other day. They're not going to get a real break from travelling until next month around this time. It's not going to be easy but I still expect them to do better than last year even with a much tougher schedule.

That is a very realistic outlook. We should still be in contention once the month is done with. I find it hilarious that there are people basically telling the team to chuck up the sponge because of how bad February was last season.

This is a different team than last year. Even if our records were identical to last year (at this time), I still like our chances to make the playoffs based on the on-ice product I have seen this year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That is a very realistic outlook. We should still be in contention once the month is done with. I find it hilarious that there are people basically telling the team to chuck up the sponge because of how bad February was last season.

This is a different team than last year. Even if our records were identical to last year (at this time), I still like our chances to make the playoffs based on the on-ice product I have seen this year.

The only reason this team has a similar record to last year's team is because Couture was out for about three months. If not for that, they'd be competing with the Kings for the division and it wouldn't even be close compared to last season.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Meh. They're gonna break our hearts anyway but it better happen in the playoffs as we don't have that glorious 1st round pick this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad