Speculation: This Summer: What If NONE of the Top 4 FA's is Signed?

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
If you are talking specifically about the PP, then yes, but Komarov also spends a lot of time battling in the slot. In both cases, we aren't getting enough shots to take full advantage of screens/deflections/rebounds.

3rd and 4th line are fearless going into the corners and battling for puck, I am talking clearly about holding down a position in front of the net. The big difference is many players will go to the net when a shot has been sent, parking yourself in front for more than 2 seconds will have a crosscheck in your back from the D or the goalie.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Me personally? I was expecting a 80 point season and out of playoff contention in January. Sitting in 1st place on Valentines day by 3 points is ****ing awesome. Some people can't be happy, especially after losing a game.
Exactly.

Sure the Isles have flaws. They weren’t built to contend for the Cup this year. But to make a statement like this team is going nowhere fast is lunacy.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I hope your Pencil has an eraser because he’s not getting 30 this year. Will be lucky if he gets 25
He is pretty streaky and with way he plays always in front I still think he gets to 30 goals he only needs to score 12 in last 26 I think he could do that pretty easily. I also say this assuming they get another top six forward at deadline.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Exactly.

Sure the Isles have flaws. They weren’t built to contend for the Cup this year. But to make a statement like this team is going nowhere fast is lunacy.
They keep defending and getting goaltending they are in every game they are going still have a fifty fifty shot at winning metro. The goals are issue they don’t score a lot but they defend, every single forward defends and backchecks. A top six forward who comes here and buys in would do this team wonders.

Reactions: MJF and MattMartin

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
What were you expecting this season?

This off-season brought us third/fourth liner Komarov.
Then we traded for another fourth line grinder in MM.
Then finally we add someone with decent offense in Filpula.
Then Kuhnackl see above. Etc etc etc.
Also Hickey. Boring and redundant. Wasted cap s pace.
Problem is we lost Tavares in free agency.
No one thought the Islanders would be in first not even Trotz.
Fine and dandy but I expect an explanation to why the Islanders didn't acquire any goal scorers this offseason.
Not even just one especially after losing JT.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He is pretty streaky and with way he plays always in front I still think he gets to 30 goals he only needs to score 12 in last 26 I think he could do that pretty easily. I also say this assuming they get another top six forward at deadline.
25 with 30 assists would be fine with me. Lee needs a center who will get him the puck, Brock Nelson does not mesh with him unless he is the other wing.

Reactions: 12Dog

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Fine and dandy.
I expect an explanation to why the Islanders didn't acquire any goal scorers this offseason.
Because we are going to get some this off season, versus losing assets for a rental.
Komarov is better than Quine, etc.
MM is a good reacquisition. He used to be the third wheel on his line, came back a more complete player.
Agree on Flip, but his poise needs mention.
Hickey stinks, and is ineffective when stapled to the boards.
This team has responded to good coaching like they were starving for it.
Maybe you heard the rumor that this year was for LL to "see what we have here"?

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Fine and dandy but I expect an explanation to why the Islanders didn't acquire any goal scorers this offseason.
Boring and redundant has us sitting in 1st place by 3 points with 26 games remaining.

What goal scorers did you want to trade for on July 2nd?

Maybe Trotz would have the team playing a different system with more offensive players but defense and goaltending win in the playoffs. We may not be able to contend for the Cup with thos roster but it’s better equipped for the playoffs than offensive darlings like Dallas, Carolina and Toronto.

So you can turn your nose up at what we have here, fine and dandy. But this team has already gone further than nowhere fast as you called it.

Reactions: 12Dog

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I think they should do away with bonuses completely.

Divide the total number of money owed to them and have it evenly paid out over the course of their contract. Done.

The salary cap number is exactly this . I have been scolded here on more than one occasion for mentioning actual dollars paid to a player for a specific season. Example would be Ladd making like 8.5 mill then 8 mill his second season here . Or at least something close to that. So I will say this , how does it affect anything on ice by the way a players contract is structured ? The salary cap is the same for all teams .

The run on bonus heavy deals again we can use Andrew Ladd as an example and more recent would be the JT deal is to get the player paid if there is a work stoppage . Bonuses are paid where salary is not . Maybe they close the loophole at the next contract or maybe they don't .

LGI

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Me personally? I was expecting a 80 point season and out of playoff contention in January. Sitting in 1st place on Valentines day by 3 points is ****ing awesome. Some people can't be happy, especially after losing a game.
it's an all of nothing world

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Is it? Lee hasn't been playing all that well lately imo

That’s because he’s a complimentary player with Nelson as his center. Notice how when Nelson stopped producing Lee did too.

Lee’s a good player but needs a driving center on his line. If we could get him for 6 mil or less I’d lock him up long term. If not he’s not worth it

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The salary cap number is exactly this . I have been scolded here on more than one occasion for mentioning actual dollars paid to a player for a specific season. Example would be Ladd making like 8.5 mill then 8 mill his second season here . Or at least something close to that. So I will say this , how does it affect anything on ice by the way a players contract is structured ? The salary cap is the same for all teams .

The run on bonus heavy deals again we can use Andrew Ladd as an example and more recent would be the JT deal is to get the player paid if there is a work stoppage . Bonuses are paid where salary is not . Maybe they close the loophole at the next contract or maybe they don't .

LGI

Bonuses benefit the larger markets because they can afford to pay a player an absurd amount of money up front. Like you say, bonuses are guaranteed in case of a work stoppage, so that's just another benefit for the larger markets who can afford it. I'd like to see an end to it, but increase the amount of retention a team can have on contracts.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
That’s because he’s a complimentary player with Nelson as his center. Notice how when Nelson stopped producing Lee did too.

Lee’s a good player but needs a driving center on his line. If we could get him for 6 mil or less I’d lock him up long term. If not he’s not worth it

That would be an impressive GM who could sign a player who averages 30goals and 50 pts for less than 6 million.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Did you watch tonight’s game against Columbus? That was fine and dandy.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
You should root for a different team. You clearly don't like this one. Or is it just your shtick to be the most miserable person on this board?
This is just year one of Trotz he has talked about building a cup contending team every year but I don’t know how any islander fan cannot be enjoying this.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This board never ceases to amaze... Now I have learned that 3-0 shutout wins are deemed a failure to compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad