Speculation: This Summer: What If NONE of the Top 4 FA's is Signed?

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I keep telling myself the Isles are playing very well, and they most certainly will be in the playoffs, but what happens when they match up against some of the best teams in the league? Uh oh. Then I remind myself that they've already beaten the best teams in the league and there's really no game they can't win when they're on their game. I forgot what it's like when I tune into a game knowing they don't have to get lucky to pull off a win, that they can actually beat their opponent. No matter how this season ends, it's been been 'joyful', and I'm most grateful for the organizational changes that took place. It's a great feeling being anxious and excited about the future. Imagine that.

Reactions: Newsworthy and dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This off-season brought us third/fourth liner Komarov.
Then we traded for another fourth line grinder in MM.
Then finally we add someone with decent offense in Filpula.
Then Kuhnackl see above. Etc etc etc.
Also Hickey. Boring and redundant. Wasted cap s pace.
Problem is we lost Tavares in free agency.
No one thought the Islanders would be in first not even Trotz.
Fine and dandy but I expect an explanation to why the Islanders didn't acquire any goal scorers this offseason.
Not even just one especially after losing JT.

Three thoughts here...

1) Were any available on the UFA market? To be fair, let's say that Lou's entire UFA plan was pending on Tavares' decision, which didn't allow him to react until July 2nd (thus, a guy like Neal wouldn't be an option).
2) Were any available to be traded for? If so, were any of them looking like guys who would supplant Lee, Bailey, Eberle, and Beau (whose second half last season had him on a 30+ goal pace) on the top two lines?
3) Was it not fair to say that Lou, who was completely new to the team, also had to see what role Ho-Sang, Dal Colle, and Bellows would play as possible goal-scoring/point-collecting answers in the course of this season?

I think concern 1 was the most impactful. This team offered Tavares upwards of 11 million per and thus any and all other targets were "pending" until we'd know if Tavares was staying. This is one the MAIN reasons why we fans have to see Tavares & Brisson as having f***ed us over. Waiting on his decision automatically handcuffed us from A) finding a direct Tavares-replacement and B) from placing the money he was offered towards a more bonafide scoring option.

And yes, in light of 5 in-house impact free agents and a really impressive UFA market this summer, there are some lessons to be taken from how things went down to conclude last season.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Three thoughts here...

1) Were any available on the UFA market? To be fair, let's say that Lou's entire UFA plan was pending on Tavares' decision, which didn't allow him to react until July 2nd (thus, a guy like Neal wouldn't be an option).
2) Were any available to be traded for? If so, were any of them looking like guys who would supplant Lee, Bailey, Eberle, and Beau (whose second half last season had him on a 30+ goal pace) on the top two lines?
3) Was it not fair to say that Lou, who was completely new to the team, also had to see what role Ho-Sang, Dal Colle, and Bellows would play as possible goal-scoring/point-collecting answers in the course of this season?

I think concern 1 was the most impactful. This team offered Tavares upwards of 11 million per and thus any and all other targets were "pending" until we'd know if Tavares was staying. This is one the MAIN reasons why we fans have to see Tavares & Brisson as having ****ed us over. Waiting on his decision automatically handcuffed us from A) finding a direct Tavares-replacement and B) from placing the money he was offered towards a more bonafide scoring option.

And yes, in light of 5 in-house impact free agents and a really impressive UFA market this summer, there are some lessons to be taken from how things went down to conclude last season.

I understand that Tavares wasn't going to be replaced and the UFA market was bad.

And I didn't want Neal or Pacioretty.

On the UFA market maybe a guy like David Perron.

I wouldn't have minded if LL had traded an asset or two for Jeff Skinner. NY was one of his desired landing destinations. He would have been a solid addition and Buffalo didn't give up a lot to get him.

Now we're discussing the trade deadline and players of much worse ability are available for double the price.

Calgary aquired Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin via trade.

Montreal got Tomas Tatar and Domi plus assets.

The Hawks got Dylan Strome from Arizona.

I wouldn't have minded bringing Nino back and with Snow gone who knows.

Look at deals of the past like NJ acquiring Palmieri, Hall, and even Marcus Johansen without giving up an arm and a leg.

These are only a few examples.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
3rd and 4th line are fearless going into the corners and battling for puck, I am talking clearly about holding down a position in front of the net. The big difference is many players will go to the net when a shot has been sent, parking yourself in front for more than 2 seconds will have a crosscheck in your back from the D or the goalie.
1st in the Metro is nowhere? Top 8 in the league is nowhere? They are running neck and neck with the media anointed super-power Toronto lead by Captain Backstab himself. Nowhere seems pretty good if that's where we are now.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I understand that Tavares wasn't going to be replaced and the UFA market was bad.

And I didn't want Neal or Pacioretty.

On the UFA market maybe a guy like David Perron.

I wouldn't have minded if LL had traded an asset or two for Jeff Skinner. NY was one of his desired landing destinations. He would have been a solid addition and Buffalo didn't give up a lot to get him.

Now we're discussing the trade deadline and players of much worse ability are available for double the price.

Calgary aquired Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin via trade.

Montreal got Tomas Tatar and Domi plus assets.

The Hawks got Dylan Strome from Arizona.

I wouldn't have minded bringing Nino back and with Snow gone who knows.

Look at deals of the past like NJ acquiring Palmieri, Hall, and even Marcus Johansen without giving up an arm and a leg.

These are only a few examples.

Link to Skinner wanting to play here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad