This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

UED

May 2, 2021
I think they just need to fix their power play and that should be super easy because there's no way Crosby Guentzel Malkin Karlsson should ever not be a competitive power play. They're doing great outside of the PP. Top 10 in ES GA and middle in ES GA per game. I don't think they have the will to try to fix it though.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
The Pens’ results have been worse than the sum of their parts. They are a +13, goaltending has been very good and Sid’s line has been excellent. The bottom 9 is playing even with the competition at 5v5. PK is OK. The obvious problem is the PP. How is it that a team with so much top end talent sucks so bad for so long on the PP? It is remarkable.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
How is Sidney Crosby having a career year?

But to the point of this, their PP is awful. Somehow their defense is good and offense is putrid

Smith is almost assuredly going to be traded. I believe the team should trade Guentzel as well and start a rebuild with the large package he would bring back.

Team isn’t good enough to win anything or, hell, even make the playoffs it looks like.

With their age, this was inevitable to happen. It is what it is. Not sure why we are so surprised by this and continue to make threads on it. The Penguins went on a run that 99% of the other teams in the league are jealous of. Now they get to feel the pain of going for it all those years.
Right lol. Crosby is having a stellar year for a 36 year old but not even close to a career season. If crosby was in his prime the Pens would be in the playoffs

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm actually surprised Reilly Smith is doing as well as he has for the Pen's this year.
He was by far the worst player on Vegas against the Oilers last year.
Don't trade with Vegas is my recommendation. They're very good at insulating and identifying dead weight after it has served its purpose.

I wouldn't touch anyone Vegas is offering with a 10 foot pole because how they play for you will not be the same as how they play for Vegas.
Where as In Pittsburg players tend to play worse once arriving and better after leaving.
Karlsson, Graves, Eler, Accarai, Smith, Petri, Rackel to name a few recent ones.
After leaving McCann, Tanev, Rodriguez, Blueger, DJSmith, Matheson
How is Sidney Crosby having a career year?

But to the point of this, their PP is awful. Somehow their defense is good and offense is putrid

Smith is almost assuredly going to be traded. I believe the team should trade Guentzel as well and start a rebuild with the large package he would bring back.

Team isn’t good enough to win anything or, hell, even make the playoffs it looks like.

With their age, this was inevitable to happen. It is what it is. Not sure why we are so surprised by this and continue to make threads on it. The Penguins went on a run that 99% of the other teams in the league are jealous of. Now they get to feel the pain of going for it all those years.
They haven't won a round in 6 years.....have played and lost the same way for all six of those years .
This ain't new

What I meant by career year is he is on pace for 50 goals ......coaches could be expected to do......instead of his apologists putting an aging Sid as a poor me for Sullivan.
Coachesxround the keaguexwishedctheyvhad star players aging like old Sid

Right lol. Crosby is having a stellar year for a 36 year old but not even close to a career season. If crosby was in his prime the Pens would be in the playoffs
Ok....he's not in his prime.....but he has scored 50 goals in a season once......he has been on pace for again this season.
Yet his team is no better than when he score 30.
And ya can't fire the players......apparently in Pittsburg you can't fire the coach either ......so losing becomes acceptable .

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Caps and Pens are similar in that they’re teams that used to be good and now aren’t but they’re very different situations. The stars on the Penguins are all still very good to elite (except Malkin) but their depth is ass. The Caps’ stars are cooked and are being carried by pretty decent depth.

If you could combine the Penguins’ top end talent with the Capitals’ depth they’d be really good. I personally think it’s harder to find elite talent than it is to build depth so I think the Penguins are in better shape today but the Caps should be able to rebound quicker than Pittsburgh given the different ways each team has handled the past two seasons.
one area they are not similar at all ....Caps haven't kept the same coach through all the losing

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Adding Erik Karlsson was not the right move for that team. They already had a good offensive #1 PMD in Letang. It just wasn't a team need. Karlsson is somewhat redundant in that regard.

It's becoming more obvious by the day that Karlsson's Norris was a total fraud (although frankly it was obvious in real time). The Pens aren't any better with Karlsson than they were without him. The league's best defensemen would have a significant positive impact.

These past two games have been bad for the Pens. Doesn't help that Sidney Crosby is piss poor defensively and is constantly floating around in his own zone while the other 4 players are working hard to get the puck out. Cost them the game against Minnesota:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Adding Erik Karlsson was not the right move for that team. They already had a good offensive #1 PMD in Letang. It just wasn't a team need. Karlsson is somewhat redundant in that regard.

It's becoming more obvious by the day that Karlsson's Norris was a total fraud (although frankly it was obvious in real time). The Pens aren't any better with Karlsson than they were without him. The league's best defensemen would have a significant positive impact.

These past two games have been bad for the Pens. Doesn't help that Sidney Crosby is piss poor defensively and is constantly floating around in his own zone while the other 4 players are working hard to get the puck out. Cost them the game against Minnesota:

no but replacing Petry with Karlsson is suppose to be a plus and improve over last year's team ......no?
On the summer no fans orctalking heads were heardcto say "Karlsson won't improve the Pens in the win column or get them in the play offs"
Everyone thought the team would be better with that addition alone. And they are not. They are exactly the same.
Try changing Sullivan . Over the last 5 years the bottom 15 have been changed over and over.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Hopefully the pens can ride this suck for another 3-4 years before they decide to rebuild. After a decade like they had they deserve 2 in the cellar, Sabres style.

No offense intended, just the circle of life. Opposing fans were hoping for the same for my Habs in the 70s and 80s, and look at them now.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hopefully the pens can ride this suck for another 3-4 years before they decide to rebuild. After a decade like they had they deserve 2 in the cellar, Sabres style.

No offense intended, just the circle of life. Opposing fans were hoping for the same for my Habs in the 70s and 80s, and look at them now.
I agree. Sidney Crosby has earned the right to play out his career on a mediocre non-playoff team.

It will take approx 10 years for the Pens to rebuild.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Pens should have moved on from Sullivan ages ago. Reminds me of Keefe and the Leafs.

Burning and wasting another year of old guys like Crosby, Malkin and Letang is brutal as they continue to decline.
How about when Pens lost to the 24th place Habs in the "play in"......then Habs were immediately pasted by the bottom feeding Flyers. ha!
Or when they lost to the Islanders in first round. Again when they lost to the Islanders in first round. How about losing to Rangers in first round?
How about game 81 last season where all they had to do was beat the tanking last place Hawks in Pittsburg to save the season and make the play offs? Instead they got smoked with another impotent effort.

Players get traded , GMs get fired , but this Sullivan guy is untouchable like nobody i have ever seen.
82 Losses in a row and this guy would still be there giving a presser about ;
"not paying attention to details , stick-to-it-iv-ness." "At times I felt we were the better team out there"

Enough already.....how many GMs, Dmen, and bottom six players is this guy and his coaching staff gotta go through?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Before last night, I'd never seen Erik Karlsson live in person. And boy is he noticeable out there, even more so than on TV. I've never seen such a highly touted d man cause so many odd man rushes against.

And the Penguins just aren't a speedy enough team to make up for the $10m liability.

Karlsson has 37 points in 49 games this year while being a +10. How is that a "$10 million liability"?

The team is painfully mediocre because their powerplay is atrocious and their bottom-6 (specifically 4th line) is awful. That's really about it, with a functional powerplay this team is comfortably in a playoff spot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It must make you so sad that Ovechkin is washed up and isn't going to break Gretzky's goal scoring record.

12 goals in 47 games this year.

Reactions: karltonian

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Karlsson has 37 points in 49 games this year while being a +10. How is that a "$10 million liability"?

The team is painfully mediocre because their powerplay is atrocious and their bottom-6 (specifically 4th line) is awful. That's really about it, with a functional powerplay this team is comfortably in a playoff spot.
I mean when he's not a point per game and still a liability defensively, that's not exactly what I'd call living up to an 8 figure AAV

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I didn't think Karlsson was the right fit and I said it at the time.

Karlsson was taking this team to the top. We all knew that.
But replacing Petry with him you didn't expect the team to improve?
or make play offs?
Well that makes one if us.
Cheers

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Wouldn't be a Penguins topic without you turning it into a bashing Crosby topic.

Yes, criticize one of the few Penguins who are actually playing well this year. I guess it's to cope with your idol looking like he's barely capable of playing at an AHL level at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad