Value of: This package for a top pairing D to the Leafs

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Petry would be only be traded if we get a Patch or Lucic return. There you go, it's our prerogative to use a previous example in trade comparisons. Don't like it? That's not our problem. Above average top 4 RD on value contracts are harder to acquire than LD. You can fight that logic all you want.

Finding teams that would pay the price has a lot to do with circumstance. Neither you or I can predict that as fans
I’m not fighting anything, and thats totally understandable if that’s all you would trade him for. That doesn’t mean there will be the so called “line up” that you think there will be. That also doesn’t mean there won’t be any suitors, but with the age of Petry I’d doubt there’s any willing to give what you’re asking. Which from the sounds of it you are fine with so that’s win win for you

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m not fighting anything, and thats totally understandable if that’s all you would trade him for. That doesn’t mean there will be the so called “line up” that you think there will be. That also doesn’t mean there won’t be any suitors, but with the age of Petry I’d doubt there’s any willing to give what you’re asking. Which from the sounds of it you are fine with so that’s win win for you

Hes also been getting more sheltered usage this season than ever before.

Im having a hard time seeing the justification of him returning this near unprecdented return.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The fact he has 38 SHL games, 127 AHL games and 11 NHL games while being a fresh 21 years old should say enough.

So far you've used AHL +/- and NHL points to judge a 20 year old defenceman. And a blanket statement like Footes shot as his argument.

Nothing indicates he is a solid grade A at this point.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Nothing indicates he is a solid grade A at this point.

Except for pretty much everything about his career to date, capstoned by a U21 season as an All-Star worthy all situations AHL dman

10 G 37 P 76 GP (.49)
3G 22P 57GP (.39)
17G 29P 54GP (.54)
9G 38P 50GP (.76)
5G/30P 40GP (.75)

That's Liljegren, Sanheim, Morrisey, Pulock, Theodore at U21 in the AHL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except for pretty much everything about his career to date, capstoned by a U21 season as an All-Star worthy all situations AHL dman

10 G 37 P 76 GP (.49)
3G 22P 57GP (.39)
17G 29P 54GP (.54)
9G 38P 50GP (.76)
5G/30P 40GP (.75)

That's Liljegren, Sanheim, Morrisey, Pulock, Theodore at U21 in the AHL

You think Liljegren is on track to be a Sanheim, Morrisey, Pulock, or Theodore? Yeah, the Leafs need RD and Sandin the younger LD has played more NHL games so far. Let me guess, Sandin is the next Karlson and Liljegren is the next Pulock?

Liljegren could be a good top 4D someday but he has a lot of work to do to get there. He needs to get better in his own end which is the most important thing and so many guys have struggled in that area

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You think Liljegren is on track to be a Sanheim, Morrisey, Pulock, or Theodore? Yeah, the Leafs need RD and Sandin the younger LD has played more NHL games so far. Let me guess, Sandin is the next Karlson and Liljegren is the next Pulock?

Liljegren could be a good top 4D someday but he has a lot of work to do to get there. He needs to get better in his own end which is the most important thing and so many guys have struggled in that area

Sandin had a better camp, and then injuries hit LD more than RD this year. In any case, Sandin's excellence has nothing to with Liljegren (though the gap between them is overstated due to Sandin's confidence leading to shorter adjustment periods. Liljegren did get much better in his own zone this season. He's a dominant two way defender at the AHL level, at 20. That bodes very well for an NHL career.

Do I think he's on track? That's pretty evident to anyone that looks at things objectively rather than from the perspective of "Leafs can't have any more nice things" But being on track is not a guarantee of staying on track.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sandin had a better camp, and then injuries hit LD more than RD this year. In any case, Sandin's excellence has nothing to with Liljegren (though the gap between them is overstated due to Sandin's confidence leading to shorter adjustment periods. Liljegren did get much better in his own zone this season. He's a dominant two way defender at the AHL level, at 20. That bodes very well for an NHL career.

Do I think he's on track? That's pretty evident to anyone that looks at things objectively rather than from the perspective of "Leafs can't have any more nice things" But being on track is not a guarantee of staying on track.

B+ prospect. Nothing wrong with that. He could turn into a top 4D. I don't have him as a Grade A. Maybe you can make a argument that he is a A- but then were talking a very minuscule gap and your sensitivity between B+ and A- comes into full effect

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
B+ prospect. Nothing wrong with that. He could turn into a top 4D. I don't have him as a Grade A. Maybe you can make a argument that he is a A- but then were talking a very minuscule gap and your sensitivity between B+ and A- comes into full effect

Restating an opinion is not defense of that opinion. Just like rhyming off inane truism's that apply to any prospect isn't a substitute for analysis.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Restating an opinion is not defense of that opinion.

Closing statement to make the point clear

giphy.gif

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Leafs fans are delusional ir just funny. Minnesota says hell no with laughter.

Wild dont need another winger in Nylander much less a joke of bracco & Andrea's Johnson.

To think wild trade Dumba, el,, such & 2nd for those other junks is funny

I was joking. No chance I move Nylander for Dumba

you may want to talk with this Wild fan I quoted above

btw Nylander is a valuable piece, but what do the Leafs need more, a real upgrade on the blueline or goals up front? I mean other then cap space that is

as it stands right now the blueline looks like this Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Sandin, Holl, and borderline guys like Marincin, Rosen and the unproven Liljegren

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I’m not a huge Dumba fan, but I appreciate he does exhibit hard to play against skill, and can also eat hard (and big) minutes. If the Wild trade Dumba for a forward it should be for hard skill, and not soft skill. The Wild GM is too smart to bring in soft skill, that eats huge cap dollars, especially at the cost of Dumba.
whether it be hard or soft(highly subjective qualities btw) the Wild need more goals up front

ftr by the end of the season Nylander isn't a forward I'd describe as being soft, also he would have led the Wild in scoring

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
whether it be hard or soft(highly subjective qualities btw) the Wild need more goals up front

ftr by the end of the season Nylander isn't a forward I'd describe as being soft, also he would have led the Wild in scoring
Is Nylander hard or easy to play against? Clearly the answer is easy. He’s soft skill. He’s good, but not worth Dumba.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What are we talking about, Chinese martial arts?

Agree with poster above who says that Dumba needs to re-prove himself before he is worth Nylander. Also agree that Dumba isn't the cure to what ails the Leafs Blue line.
My main objection to the proposed deal between TOR and MN is that Nylander is a luxury, not a need, and that JEE is a need, not a luxury that can be disposed of lightly. I know his stats haven't been impressive, but he is a terrific shutdown defender in the mold of Mikko Koivu, and I anticipate him getting better production this year once Koivu retires and Staal slows down even further, finally giving him some PP TOI.

Now, if I was convinced that Nylander could be a perennial 60+ point C, then a Dumba + JEE return for him wouldn't be out of the question. I just haven't seen that from him, and likely won't, with TOR's lineup. I also understand TOR not being crazy about the deal till Dumba gets back on track. I will tell you that JEE would be PERFECT for them, though, and just what they need.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Is Nylander hard or easy to play against? Clearly the answer is easy. He’s soft skill. He’s good, but not worth Dumba.

Its been really interesting to see your comments throughout threads this past lil bit as you are so obsessed on how hard and soft players are that I would assume you get some of the most hilarious targeted adds on here.

You have to listen to a lot of old boys Canadian radio right? The only other person I have ever heard worry about those phrases are like the Burkes of the world

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
As much as it literally kills me as a Flames fan but I'd do Gio for a collection of those parts. It's short term but he is about as steady as you can get and great leader. He deserves a cup.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Just curious what his cost would be as a FLA fan?
2 years left but 36 years old.
I genuinely don't know how to gauge his value. Half expect to be ripped to shreds for even suggesting it in this thread. Hes worth more to the Flames than what teams are willing to give up, but hes absolutely a top end two way defenceman and his NTC loosens up to 19 teams next season. Flames really should learn from their mistakes with Iginla and move Gio while he is still near the top of the game.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020

Ridiculous comment showing anti leaf bias. A 21 year old defence prospect who is a virtual lock to be an NHLer and has top 4 upside only a B prospoect

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00