Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Cammalleri was the worst tonight, DSP next to worst

Rest ranged from adequate to good, most being good I'd say

Especially for being the 2nd leg of a back to back

That saddledome drought was unreal

Was like a Calgary 2-man advantage the last minute with Camm out there being totally useless.

Good win tonight, NJD actually played well for a change.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
From the time it was together I liked the Zacha-JJ-BB line tonight.
Wow, Calg was inches from tying it up with a second left.
Looked like Palms let up on the puck in the corner.
Thankfully it just went wide.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I think moving Zacha to wing should've happened much sooner. Simplify things for the kid ..For now at least. Same exact mistake Robinson made with Parise before he lost it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Steve and Dano say the defense has been good since the Toronto game last week

But has it really?

42 shots against in the first Edmonton game.

I think they've done a better job of keeping teams to the outside and cutting down on dangerous chances. Mainly because they don't challenge that much. If you look at some of the shifts where we've been pinned and you'll see a lot of space out towards the points because our forwards are collapsing to the middle rather than rushing out to challenge the pointmen.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think they've done a better job of keeping teams to the outside and cutting down on dangerous chances. Mainly because they don't challenge that much. If you look at some of the shifts where we've been pinned and you'll see a lot of space out towards the points because our forwards are collapsing to the middle rather than rushing out to challenge the pointmen.

Probably in tonight's game and in the game against Florida last Monday night. That wasn't a bad game by us, we just couldn't score. We played them pretty evenly though.

I thought we allowed a couple too many odd man rushes last night, but the bigger problem was how we couldn't generate anything ourselves.

The first Oilers game at home was among some of our poorer games this year. It was right up there with that first Capitals game and bordering the territory of the game we had in Montreal last month. We just got the goaltending. We got did in that Caps game too, just couldn't make it to the shootout and kill the penalty in that Edmonton game.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I though Zacha had a really strong game. He was shooting, he was determined. He dropped his shoulder and went to the net on a number of occasions.

If he plays like that every night he'll be just fine. The skill will come through.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Santini is going to be a stud. Kid looks exactly like what we need.

If Merrill is really finding his game permanently as well, all of a sudden the D doesn't look so bad.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

Same thoughts. Especially in the first period they made some pretty plays and kept the puck in the attacking zone. They are all good possession players, and last night they also worked to get the puck for themselves.

Palmieri played second strong game in a row, and Henrique was completely different player than in the Oilers game. Merrill was also good against Flames, although Gaudreau and company didn't really used their feet last night.

When Greene comes back schratch Quincey.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Watching the game right now and it's been awhile since I had the feel to watch a devils game. Needed time to not watch this team but now I'm back and I may say Merrill looks good. He looks like he plays with a lot of confidence and joins the play. I'm posetive about this teams future, remember to look at this in the big picture and not like some do as of right now. We are not a playoff team anymore, but looks at the young team we are icing they need games and experience. People have preached this for years and then when it's happening you guys bash the team for not doing good!

Why is it that Ray Shero is nominated for GM of the year?

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Woke up middle of the night to catch the rest of the game. (Old guy fell asleep) Nice result hard fought game Kinky had a nice game and kept my prediction right on the money at 2-1 Devils.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Team looked much faster with JJ in for Kalinin.

With Lappin sent to Albany do we have any extra forwards aside from the Russian?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Gotta give JJ credit. He looked very good. Hall looks like he's back to form too. Even with his stretch of poor games he's still on about a 25 goal 65 point pace. He's probably gonna go on a tear soon.

Stollery looks like he can be a Peter Harrold extra defenseman type. Would much rather have him on the team than Helgeson.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think moving Zacha to wing should've happened much sooner. Simplify things for the kid ..For now at least. Same exact mistake Robinson made with Parise before he lost it.

Except he's looked worse while on the wing this season. He had a strong game last night don't get me wrong but other attempts to play him on the wing did not work out that well.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I really like the fact that Hynes is utilizing Zacha with Josefson as his center. Pavel needs to shoot more and pick his game up offensively. Josefson isn't much of a point producer but is very solid away from the puck, can keep up with Zacha speed wise and takes away all the big responsibilities that Zacha would have if he was playing down the middle.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The complexion of the team changes when you get good performances from at least half the bottom six. And when you have 4/6 dmen giving you solid minutes. That is what depth looks like.

We'll see if it sticks but last night was what Merrill and Josefson should have been doing from two years ago on. And where we would've liked to have seen Zacha two months ago. I hope this continues.

Camille the Eel

We have generally played pretty well with Josefson in the line up this year. Oddly because he doesn't produce much himself. But he's quite key in puck control and his skating seems to catalyze the line up. Was it the last Buffalo game or whenever he got hurt-concussion? That game too we had flow and chances before he went out.

And I had pretty much given up on JJ.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm surprised by the relative subdued reaction to Santini. He is incredibly impressive. His skating and command of his position at his age and experience level is just unbelievable.

He plays the position like he has two+ years of NHL experience.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Welp, the worst my GDT record will be is 1-1, woooooey

I know its only been about two weeks or so but I am glad my faith in Merrill has been rewarded.

Same. Making me look good! :laugh:

I really like the fact that Hynes is utilizing Zacha with Josefson as his center. Pavel needs to shoot more and pick his game up offensively. Josefson isn't much of a point producer but is very solid away from the puck, can keep up with Zacha speed wise and takes away all the big responsibilities that Zacha would have if he was playing down the middle.

A good way to look at it, and agreed!

I'm surprised by the relative subdued reaction to Santini. He is incredibly impressive. His skating and command of his position at his age and experience level is just unbelievable.

He plays the position like he has two+ years of NHL experience.

He's going to be such a stud. I like that they're easing him in. 15-17 minutes a night should be what he's getting. Gain some confidence, move up as needed.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Gotta give JJ credit. He looked very good. Hall looks like he's back to form too. Even with his stretch of poor games he's still on about a 25 goal 65 point pace. He's probably gonna go on a tear soon.

Stollery looks like he can be a Peter Harrold extra defenseman type. Would much rather have him on the team than Helgeson.

If JJ can play like that the majority of the time, he'll be a solid 3rd or 4th liner and have a place on the team going forward. He did look really good.

Santini is going to be a stud. Kid looks exactly like what we need.

If Merrill is really finding his game permanently as well, all of a sudden the D doesn't look so bad.
I can see why Shero had no issue letting Larsson go with him in the system. Merrill really is playing well. Now he's offensive play last night was impressive as well. And yea, if this is a result of him playing his natural side and getting consistent playing time and a permanent thing, the d looks to be in better shape.

Same thoughts. Especially in the first period they made some pretty plays and kept the puck in the attacking zone. They are all good possession players, and last night they also worked to get the puck for themselves.

Palmieri played second strong game in a row, and Henrique was completely different player than in the Oilers game. Merrill was also good against Flames, although Gaudreau and company didn't really used their feet last night.

When Greene comes back schratch Quincey.
When Greene comes back, limit his minutes and scratch Quincey. I would actually keep Merrill where he is even when greene comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad