Third round: #2 Baie-Comeau vs. #3 Blainville

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
You just beat the 8th seed in a very (surprisingly) close series. you may have scored a bunch or goals but you also gave up a bunch. As for defensive teams, both London and Portland are leagues above what you will/have faced in the Q.

London is overrated!

Go back in your hole Knights troll.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
You just beat the 8th seed in a very (surprisingly) close series. you may have scored a bunch or goals but you also gave up a bunch. As for defensive teams, both London and Portland are leagues above what you will/have faced in the Q.

Halifax had a better goals against this season then London, and they also had the best goals scored out of any CHL team. Halifax will be just fine if/when they get to the Memorial cup.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Halifax had a better goals against this season then London, and they also had the best goals scored out of any CHL team. Halifax will be just fine if/when they get to the Memorial cup.

Can't compare goals for/against between the Q & OHL. Two very different leagues.

If we get Portland/London/Halifax in Saskatoon for the Mem Cup, it will be the best Mem Cup in recent memory when Saskatoon gets out of the way lol

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Can't compare goals for/against between the Q & OHL. Two very different leagues.

If we get Portland/London/Halifax in Saskatoon for the Mem Cup, it will be the best Mem Cup in recent memory when Saskatoon gets out of the way lol

I couldn't agree more. The O generally has more parity so comparing the top two teams stats is a flawed approach. And yes those three stacked teams would make for an amazing tournament. I don't see Saskatoon pulling a Shawinigan lol

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Like I said, I was being sarcastic. But if you are going after the leafs I hope you enjoy them beating the Habs in the first round

Yeah i didnt see the sarcasm part until after my post. I wont enjoy or dislike seeing them beat the habs (which I think will happen) I have no alliegence to them but i will love the series.

And i wasnt insulting toronto. When i thought you were serious i was being sarcastic and trying to expose flaw in your mentality. Saw you liked kadri so prob a toronto fan. And if you like toronto youre prob happy they are in the playoffs. But over the yrs when they had no shot and were struggling, if they stopped trying then they wouldnt have finally got back to the post season this yr. Thats all i meant.

Btw i agree london or portland would have a very fair chance of beating hfx but it wont be bad defeats. The huskies series is a reflection of the series, not the team. Look in the thread i said before it started they would play a pond hockey style series where huskies score a lot, more than any other team would, but they will let goals against flood in. Hfx prob sweeps. 4-5 games. I was spot on, we only had one dman do a good job consistently in that whole series.

Armada may play a bit run and gun with us too but both remaining options for the finals you will see a tighter defensively game by hfx.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Leave it to a Spits fan lol. Are all Windsor fans as dumb as the organization that bids to host the mem cup while still under sanctions?

Couldn't care less what the Spits do... I live in Halifax now champ.

Truth is London is very overrated. Just look at what an average offensive team like Plymouth did your your amazing London defense. How many 3+ goal leads did you give up that series?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
:laugh:

Yeah... not going to give you what you so desperately are seeking.

All this talk about Halifax going 16-0 etc... They aren't unbeatable.

Portland and Edmonton are the 2 teams to watch out for, they're all around deep, and all around good. 12-0 in the playoffs is impressive.. But it's not like Halifax is playing amazing teams... SJ and Gatineau were bye's...

London gets talked about a lot cause they're London, but I don't see how the Mem Cup finalists are overrated, especially considering that they have a good amount of returning players.

Same can be said about the Oil Kings..

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Couldn't care less what the Spits do... I live in Halifax now champ.

Truth is London is very overrated. Just look at what an average offensive team like Plymouth did your your amazing London defense. How many 3+ goal leads did you give up that series?

Average offensive team? Plymouth had 10 plus NHL draftees, 4 of whom went/will go in the 1st round and the top scorer of the OHL this year. I am amazed London won in 5 or even won at all for that matter. Plymouth would be tougher competition than Hali has faced all year. If a team like Rouyn had some close games with Hali I bet a series with Plymouth would go the distance.

Last edited:

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Average offensive team? Plymouth had 10 plus NHL draftees, 4 of whom went/will go in the 1st round and the top scorer of the OHL this year. I am amazed London won in 5 or even won at all for that matter. Plymouth would be tougher competition than Hali has faced all year. If a team like Rouyn had some close games with Hali I bet a series with Plymouth would go the distance.

It's funny on what criteria people base their opinions on. RN scored the 2nd most goals in the Q this year, and people are surprised that they potted a few goals against Halifax and that suddenly makes Halifax "weak". The scores may have indicated the teams were "close" on paper, but was it was a rather lopsided win to be honest. In the playoffs teams will tend to play the same as their opponent. RN wanted to run and gun so Halifax did the same thing. I knew before the series started that the defense would be all but non-existent.

Not sure what people consider "tested"... Halifax is way ahead of pretty much every team in the Q, so I'm not sure who they would have had to play to be considered "tested". They had to put their work boots on for this last series.

I'm not worried about the Memorial Cup or who we might play. You build your team to win your league. With the Memorial Cup being a short tournament and favouring the "hot" team (Shawinigan says hello), it's a crap shoot and not something you can plan for. Let them get through the league first. Each of the 3 "favourites" will have tough opponents in their respective league finals.

Back on topic... how much did those suspensions hurt and which team did it affect the most?

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
:laugh:

Yeah... not going to give you what you so desperately are seeking.

He asks a lot of questions that most can just look up or know, so I'm not sure what to make of his opinion as I don't get the sense he watches the games....

Not much Moose fans can do... We've got a week till the Finals start so we have to play along for awhile lol... We're 70-6-3-1 but we're "untested" :help:

We have "low depth" at the backend, but after Murphy how can you make a case for that? ... BLB and BC should be the best tests out there, but Rouyn finished 1 win behind the Armada... Why do we discredit them as good competition which they were?

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
He asks a lot of questions that most can just look up or know, so I'm not sure what to make of his opinion as I don't get the sense he watches the games....

Not much Moose fans can do... We've got a week till the Finals start so we have to play along for awhile lol... We're 70-6-3-1 but we're "untested" :help:

We have "low depth" at the backend, but after Murphy how can you make a case for that? ... BLB and BC should be the best tests out there, but Rouyn finished 1 win behind the Armada... Why do we discredit them as good competition which they were?

Untested as in the competition in the Q this year has been lacking. And halifax is weak on the back end, there is not one defensemen I would consider an elite shutdown guy. Abeltshouser is a big strong guy with offensive upside but he is hardly a defensive defensemen. As for Murphy, the guy can skate like the wind but he is so dumb with the puck. So many Rouyn goals came off of his turnovers and Fucale had to bail out the rest of the defensive corps countless times.

Last edited:

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
And halifax is weak on the back end, there is not one defensemen I would consider an elite shutdown guy. Abeltshouser is a big strong guy with offensive upside but he is hardly a defensive defensemen. As for Murphy, the guy can skate like the wind but he is so dumb with the puck. So many Rouyn goals came off of his turnovers and Fucale had to bail out the rest of the defensive corps countless times.

That's right, because we have 4-5 guys that are used in many different situations... Lewis, Hardie and Duke can all shutdown guys effectively... That's why I have never heard a complaint about them all year lol. Weegar is two-way, but not the most trusted on D and Konrad is used in every situation who plays about 30 minutes a game... Which leave Murphy who, like you said makes mistakes and hasn't been relied on in the 3rd periods of games.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
That's right, because we have 4-5 guys that are used in many different situations... Lewis, Hardie and Duke can all shutdown guys effectively... That's why I have never heard a complaint about them all year lol. Weegar is two-way, but not the most trusted on D and Konrad is used in every situation who plays about 30 minutes a game... Which leave Murphy who, like you said makes mistakes and hasn't been relied on in the 3rd periods of games.

Sure there are some reliable guys, and a workhorse in Konrad, but we don't have any really elite caliber guys. If we do end up losing (either in the finals or mem cup) it will be because of our weak defense (relative to the the O and W champs). Our team is built to score, and I hope we can do it against teams with nhl caliber shutdown d men.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Sure there are some reliable guys, and a workhorse in Konrad, but we don't have any really elite caliber guys. If we do end up losing (either in the finals or mem cup) it will be because of our weak defense (relative to the the O and W champs). Our team is built to score, and I hope we can do it against teams with nhl caliber shutdown d men.

Should be a great test, and fun to watch.. So far it's been "boring" so I'm looking forward to playing the tough defensive teams and not watching run and gun vs. the same thing.

Noreau, Ouellet, Chenevert, the big-time D we could play in the Finals.
Reinhart, Seth, Harrington, Wotherspoon.... Just the top of my head if we make it to the Mem cup to try and shut us down.... Our D may not be at their level, but do they have enough defensive players to shut down our depth? Which has been the problem for most Q teams this year...

We also have some NHL calibre forwards, so we're up to the challenge... BLB/BC first tho lol.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Should be a great test, and fun to watch.. So far it's been "boring" so I'm looking forward to playing the tough defensive teams and not watching run and gun vs. the same thing.

Noreau, Ouellet, Chenevert, the big-time D we could play in the Finals.
Reinhart, Seth, Harrington, Wotherspoon.... Just the top of my head if we make it to the Mem cup to try and shut us down.... Our D may not be at their level, but do they have enough defensive players to shut down our depth? Which has been the problem for most Q teams this year...

We also have some NHL calibre forwards, so we're up to the challenge... BLB/BC first tho lol.

Very true. We have to win the Q first.
But if/when we do Portland as very deep defense and London isn't far behind. As for our offensive talent, Both Portland and London led their respective leagues in goals for and both rosters are littered with high end offensive draft picks and future picks in London's case.

This is all assuming Portland, London and us reach the mem cup....but damn it would be fun to watch

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
Untested as in the competition in the Q this year has been lacking. And halifax is weak on the back end, there is not one defensemen I would consider an elite shutdown guy.

This is just unbelievably incorrect.

Competition has been lacking in the Q this year?! I'd argue that the top half of the Q was extremely legit this year! BB, Baie Comeau, Moncton, Rimouski, Quebec and Rouyn aren't legit competition? You're insane if you don't think so.

In regards to Halifax being weak on the back end, just false. Weegar, Konrad, Lewis, Hardie and Duke have all been extremely reliable defensively this year. Lets also not forget that the forwards get to play defense and Halifax has some extremely talented defensive forwards. (Andrews, Ashley, Falkenham, McCauley and Fournier) their contributions defensively cannot just be written off.

Anyway, the numbers speak for themselves, to even insinuate that Halifax is "weak" defensively obliterates any of your hockey credibility. They play terrific TEAM defense on most nights.

All this said, I'm no homer. Halifax will be pushed again just like Rouyn did, whether its Blainville, or Baie Comeau.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
This is just unbelievably incorrect.

Competition has been lacking in the Q this year?! I'd argue that the top half of the Q was extremely legit this year! BB, Baie Comeau, Moncton, Rimouski, Quebec and Rouyn aren't legit competition? You're insane if you don't think so.

In regards to Halifax being weak on the back end, just false. Weegar, Konrad, Lewis, Hardie and Duke have all been extremely reliable defensively this year. Lets also not forget that the forwards get to play defense and Halifax has some extremely talented defensive forwards. (Andrews, Ashley, Falkenham, McCauley and Fournier) their contributions defensively cannot just be written off.

Anyway, the numbers speak for themselves, to even insinuate that Halifax is "weak" defensively obliterates any of your hockey credibility. They play terrific TEAM defense on most nights.

All this said, I'm no homer. Halifax will be pushed again just like Rouyn did, whether its Blainville, or Baie Comeau.

Would you consider anyone of Halifax's d men an elite shutdown guy? or even an elite overall d man? I wasn't saying they weren't reliable, I was saying they weren't elite.

And say what you want about the competition in the Q but if you follow the rest of the CHL you will see much more parity. Perhaps the Moose are just so crazy good that they are indeed blowing away a strong league, but I fell it has some to do with the overall strength and depth of the Q (or relative lack of). I really feel Halifax's record would be less impressive if they were playing in the OHL

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad