Third round: #2 Baie-Comeau vs. #3 Blainville

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Gonna be a long one ... Very evenly matched teams that will hopefully beat the crap out of each other lol.

Drakkar in 7.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
The two biggest Moosehead threats going head-to-head. This will be the best series of the play-offs unless one of these two meet Hfx in the finals.

To quote from two e-mails I sent recently to two people:
Honestly I think they would make it to the finals with Frk, Drouin, MacKinnon all injured. The depth up front and on the back is just insane, and then backed up by the best draft eligible goaltender. Great coach, great & mature leadership, etc.

Their http://theqmjhl.ca/stats/show/type/skaters/ls_season/172/ls_team/5 stat lines are so good all the way through. Even on the face-offs, all 4 of their centers have big winning %s.

Basically after the first few weeks of the season I expected the biggest potential threats in the Q would be Blaineville, Rouyn-Noranda, Baie-Comeau, Quebec. Still pretty much the same, over the year R-N & Quebec started to look like the lesser threats of those 4. Just before the playoffs: The match-up I always thought would be best is Blaineville - they will be able to compete with Halifax offensively but I don't think they will be able to do enough defensively. Rouyn-Noranda will get chewed up and spit out in goals against as their one-dimensional forwards are exposed, Quebec is the most well-rounded and not far behind in any one dimension like the other teams, but they are just... a weaker well-rounded version. They would have a chance but would just be out-played in every facet of the game by a little bit. Fast-forward the course of a game or multiple games and the pendulum sways further and further. Lastly, the Drakkar might have the best chance if Blaineville doesn't. They are probably the only team that would have the ability to keep the games lower-scoring.

I think that's the best strategy, playing total pond-hockey against Halifax... Not a good idea. Drakkar could probably score ~5 goals but to do that, they'd give up ~9. Blainville has a chance with a more run and gun style. Drakkar probably has the ability to limit Halifax to 3-4 goals a night, and they're good enough to score doing that. Still, I would expect scores like 3-2 hfx, 4-1 at worst.

Looking at the GF/GA and performance of the play-off teams so far seems to reflect this so far:
http://theqmjhl.ca/standings/show/ls_season/last/subtype/1
Hfx best offense & defense
Drakkar nearly identical offensive output & next best defense
Blaineville one goal ahead of Drakkar, one behind Hfx, third best defense
Rouyn-Noranda close in goals but way further behind in goals against
Quebec next best team, and more mid-range in both.

Blaineville-Hfx would be really exciting, high scoring hockey. Drakkar would make for the best series. Quebec would be really entertaining and semi-close. Huskies I think would score decent amount but give up an insane amount.

and to someone else, shortly later:

Blainville vs Drakkar is going to be an amazing series.

Most likely Moose vs Huskies, possibly Moose vs Remparts.

Blainville/Drakkar are the biggest threats to Hfx by far so they’re doing us a favour by taking one of each other out. Remparts would be a good series, Quebec is the most well-rounded opponent but they are also worse in every single aspect of the game. Yet competitive in all. Huskies on the other hand will be the most entertaining, pond-hockey series but also Huskies have the worst chance of beating Hfx. All in my opinion of course. Huskies will be able to score, but they will bleed goals against.

edit: My description of Drakkar vs Blainville would've been the opposite for most of the season. But recently, I feel it's accurate. About the defensive aspect that is.

Also, for the record, I didn't just look at those stats and then extrapolate/make big assumptions off of numbers. I made those predictions/had those expectations, then out of curiousity looked at the stats. Stats are often mis-used or over-used but I was just pointing out that the numbers in this case at least don't seem to contradict or conflict with my expectation to any notable degree.

Last edited:

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Sorry I just realized that post is borderline or completely off-topic too. I do think Blainville wins this series, anyway. I won't be surprised if it takes 6, maybe 7. Drakkar are very dangerous though.

Reesor01

Jul 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Gonna be a long one ... Very evenly matched teams that will hopefully beat the crap out of each other lol.

Drakkar in 7.

I hope they beat the crap out of each other. Because if the Drakkar win in 5 it would worry me a bit I must admit.

I am going to say Drakkar in 6 though, with only 1 games being more than a 2 goal spread.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
No way Baie Comeau win in 5.

BC have been the underdogs for far too long and it is about time they get in the limelight.
They won 2 series 4-0 and I don't understasnd that they cannot be cosidered the main threat to the Moose.

As for Blainville, the Titan brought them to 5 games, 4 of which were very tight ones and I was not overly impressed by them.

BC on the other hand....

TheQNews

Apr 7, 2013
Halifax
www.TheQNews.ca
Looking at the GF/GA and performance of the play-off teams so far seems to reflect this so far:
http://theqmjhl.ca/standings/show/ls_season/last/subtype/1
Hfx best offense & defense
Drakkar nearly identical offensive output & next best defense
Blaineville one goal ahead of Drakkar, one behind Hfx, third best defense
Rouyn-Noranda close in goals but way further behind in goals against
Quebec next best team, and more mid-range in both.

I had looked at all the stats between the Armada and Foreurs before their series and thought it would be close but then it was a blowout by BB. We can breakdown stats all day but when it comes down to the actual game, anything goes.

I think the Armada will win it in 6 and the Mooseheads will win theirs in 5 games.

Finals going between Armada and Mooseheads, with Mooseheads winning in 6.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
I had looked at all the stats between the Armada and Foreurs before their series and thought it would be close but then it was a blowout by BB. We can breakdown stats all day but when it comes down to the actual game, anything goes.

I think the Armada will win it in 6 and the Mooseheads will win theirs in 5 games.

Finals going between Armada and Mooseheads, with Mooseheads winning in 6.

The Armada would not last more than 5 games against the Mooseheads.
The Drakkar?
Another story!

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
I really think that the Drakkar can win it all, but they will have to fight.

they need a few bounces to go their way, and Cadorette has to be equal to Fucale. I think while the moose's forwards are obviously much more talented, the Drakkar's group has much more grit and sandpaper :) The drakkar have more talent then they are given credit for. Gelinas, Straka, Boudreau, Zykov, Gamelin, Girard..etc. They might lose, but i dont see them as a group that think they will lose. The have that mentality of doing whatever it takes. The group as a whole know what it was like to loose and they are ready to win.

Girard is a gem and is the most underrated player in league. He has the ability to shut down Mackinnon and Drouin. He will play for team canada next year at the world juniors. (dont laugh, just remember :) )

First they have to beat the Armada. I dont think this is an easy series....

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
they need a few bounces to go their way, and Cadorette has to be equal to Fucale. I think while the moose's forwards are obviously much more talented, the Drakkar's group has much more grit and sandpaper :) The drakkar have more talent then they are given credit for. Gelinas, Straka, Boudreau, Zykov, Gamelin, Girard..etc. They might lose, but i dont see them as a group that think they will lose. The have that mentality of doing whatever it takes. The group as a whole know what it was like to loose and they are ready to win.

Girard is a gem and is the most underrated player in league. He has the ability to shut down Mackinnon and Drouin. He will play for team canada next year at the world juniors. (dont laugh, just remember :) )

First they have to beat the Armada. I dont think this is an easy series....
I can't say it any better. I'm in full agreement.

Reesor01

Jul 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I don't think the winning mentality will matter much if Baie-Comeau/Halifax meet in the finals. I'm pretty sure the Moose have that too. :)

Last edited:

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
I don't think the winning mentality will matter much if Baie-Comeau/Halifax meet in the finals. I'm pretty sure the Moose have that too. :)

I'm not saying that will make the difference. What I'm saying is BC would be a much different and bigger test than SJ and GAT.
Ducharme has had halifax well prepared all season long. That's a testament to his coaching abilities. Vielleux has done the same with his crew. It would be a great series.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Was a good game. Little hard to find a consistent rthym with the special teams (of which Blainville-broisbriand were burned) but still good. Will be a tight series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad