Speculation: Thinking The Unthinkable - What Would Another Rebuild Look Like?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not necessarily, however if the trades are completed prior to the expansion the odds of losing someone of value is low. Likely at that point its moot.

Remember that this thread is based on how the team will look in the 2019-2020 season

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Bringing in a new GM and Coaching Staff . . . and might that new GM decide to go with his own blueprint . . .

This is assumed to already have happened

Please stick to the theme of the thread . . . there already is a Flintstone Complaint thread

Sorry Lee, I am having a thickhead day but that said I don't know how you speculate on building a club when you have no idea who they would bring in. This could go in several directions. If Detroit made an executive change I would absolutely hire the guy they let go in a heart beat and likely retain most of the club due to the possession-based build of the roster as is. That said it would be incumbent to get the ice situation fixed this summer so it wasn't undercutting a possession game. Good luck moving Grabo, Kuli, Ladd, or Boychuk - those are unmoveable contracts until they expire. IDK, it is a hard one. Above all else you keep Tavares though. I do not think this club can withstand a full blown rebuild. I'd rather toss a few first rounders to get people to take our bad contracts. If you clean out some of the expensive gunk you'd have enough cap space to build a competent team.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Sorry Lee, I am having a thickhead day but that said I don't know how you speculate on building a club when you have no idea who they would bring in. This could go in several directions. If Detroit made an executive change I would absolutely hire the guy they let go in a heart beat and likely retain most of the club due to the possession-based build of the roster as is. That said it would be incumbent to get the ice situation fixed this summer so it wasn't undercutting a possession game. Good luck moving Grabo, Kuli, Ladd, or Boychuk - those are unmoveable contracts until they expire. IDK, it is a hard one. Above all else you keep Tavares though. I do not think this club can withstand a full blown rebuild. I'd rather toss a few first rounders to get people to take our bad contracts. If you clean out some of the expensive gunk you'd have enough cap space to build a competent team.

No problem! I tried to design this to be really open-ended, because I fear we are going to have a lot of time on our hands this season . . .

Feel free to assume a certain style of play, that's certainly what a GM designs (as Gerard Gallant found out) and try to come up with moves that make sense to the strategy you want to design for.

Who knows, maybe there is a possible NHL Artificial Intelligence game that could be designed simply based on being a GM instead of having to play the remotes as in NHL '16, etc.? Start with a variety of styles you can play, take a salary cap, then choose from a pool of available players and have the program simulate the results based on how well you fill the roster?

Maybe it could be a Fantasy Game too? Not based on a typical Yahoo stat line but on advanced analytics and projected performance.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
That's true that Hamonic overshot the ceiling but looking back on it we missed a golden opportunity by not trading him for Hall (if the offer was in fact on the table). This team lacks serious scoring punch and Travis has kind of struggled this year.

Snow didn't draft Hamonic or de Haan? Hamonic definitely overshot his ceiling (unless you are one of those fickle what have you done for me lately folks) and de Haan's reached his potential.

I'll still never understand the folks who think the players are just mindless robots that need a coaches programming to perform. It's on those million dollar mutton heads, not the coach.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I think you may be taking yourself a bit too seriously. The "Allowing the thread to continue" phrase you said before was the pinnacle. If you don't like the thread you don't have to partake.

No at all. Just hate discussing such a pointless topic. This thread is at minimum 6 months to a year premature...and coming at a time where everyone is on edge...I just think it is poor timing. We have enough to think about. If JT had been quiet up until this point then okay...but he has clearly stated countless he wants to retire here...you think he expects this team to not have a bad year over the next 10-15 years ? every team will. I just don't see him as a coward who will run because of 1 bad year. hes the player he is and Captain for a reason. He will stay. Zero point in this thread. Atleast at this moment.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That's true that Hamonic overshot the ceiling but looking back on it we missed a golden opportunity by not trading him for Hall (if the offer was in fact on the table). This team lacks serious scoring punch and Travis has kind of struggled this year.

That's true, but still the original assertion was wrong. I think there are quite a few players who have overshot their potential from those later rounds. Not to mention the ones that were picked up from other teams that performed after they failed there.

However, things I used to laud Snow for are imo opinion his golden years. Now, he's complete trash and needs to be shown the door. I have no patience for his antics anymore.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
This team has been through numerous "rebuilds" - The player have changed, the culture hasn't.

A trading and/or signing frenzy will not solve any problems. We could have Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, and Steven Stamkos joining John Tavares on this team, and none of those players would be as good as they are now. This organization can take pure gold and turn it into pure dung. Everything is mishandled. Even John Tavares isn't as good as he could be, but that's the organization's fault, truthfully.

Because of the top, this organization sucks top to bottom. There has to be a complete house clearning. Snow, the coaching staff, and the scouting staff all have to go. It's an awful organization where losing is accepted, and therefore, expected. Any organization that has excuses for losing will lose forever. "Puck luck"? "Bounces"? Being the reasons why your team lost -- that's how teams lose forever!

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
This team has been through numerous "rebuilds" - The player have changed, the culture hasn't.

A trading and/or signing frenzy will not solve any problems. We could have Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, and Steven Stamkos joining John Tavares on this team, and none of those players would be as good as they are now. This organization can take pure gold and turn it into pure dung. Everything is mishandled. Even John Tavares isn't as good as he could be, but that's the organization's fault, truthfully.

Because of the top, this organization sucks top to bottom. There has to be a complete house clearning. Snow, the coaching staff, and the scouting staff all have to go. It's an awful organization where losing is accepted, and therefore, expected. Any organization that has excuses for losing will lose forever. "Puck luck"? "Bounces"? Being the reasons why your team lost -- that's how teams lose forever!

Post of the year right there...Bravo!

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Post of the year worthy.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
They should try to sign Shipachev and Dadonov next summer. It's potentially 2/3 of the 2nd scoring line. Islanders have a lot of cap space so they can offer good 1-2 year contracts to both.

If not both, than Dadonov at least. He'll be 28 next year, he's already scored 20 goals in 29 games this season in the KHL. And if Chicago won't be able to sign Panarin... You can imagine the line of Panarin - Tavares - Dadonov. Panarin and Dadonov have tonns of chemistry, and Tavares is Tavares.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I love that we win 2 straight and now 3 in a row and this thread becomes a ghost town, when just prior this thread was a **** show lol Further proof that this thread is pointless... A few wins and fans are not thinking rebuild lol What a surprise. Like I said this thread was started way too early and only because of losing a few too many games. Can we close this **** now ? Or should we leave it just in case we lose to DET or something so a few people can come in here and Say :rant: "Just trade JT! Before he leaves and we get nothing!...Snow, Cappy,Strait,Milbury, gahhhhhhhhhhh!" And then the rest will follow with "LOUD NOISES!"

There is rational, cautious, dramatic and extreme...this thread falls somewhere in the last two.

:popcorn:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
They should try to sign Shipachev and Dadonov next summer. It's potentially 2/3 of the 2nd scoring line. Islanders have a lot of cap space so they can offer good 1-2 year contracts to both.

If not both, than Dadonov at least. He'll be 28 next year, he's already scored 20 goals in 29 games this season in the KHL. And if Chicago won't be able to sign Panarin... You can imagine the line of Panarin - Tavares - Dadonov. Panarin and Dadonov have tonns of chemistry, and Tavares is Tavares.

How come these two have not come over sooner ?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I love that we win 2 straight and now 3 in a row and this thread becomes a ghost town, when just prior this thread was a **** show lol Further proof that this thread is pointless... A few wins and fans are not thinking rebuild lol What a surprise. Like I said this thread was started way too early and only because of losing a few too many games. Can we close this **** now ? Or should we leave it just in case we lose to DET or something so a few people can come in here and Say :rant: "Just trade JT! Before he leaves and we get nothing!...Snow, Cappy,Strait,Milbury, gahhhhhhhhhhh!" And then the rest will follow with "LOUD NOISES!"

There is rational, cautious, dramatic and extreme...this thread falls somewhere in the last two.

Why are you still bothering to participate in this thread? Just ignore it.

I certainly am not going to apologize for starting an intellectual exercise in what-if planning. That's all this thread is. Don't participate. But calling for a shut down is pretty silly, it's not like i am jinxing the team! I set a few parameters to guide the discussion so it wouldn't look like the normal complaint fest and when you look at the posts here you certainly notice I make sure to guide it back to the original premise of the thread . . . a WHAT-IF scenario, NOT a MUST-DO one.

Why this ticks you off so much more than everyone else here I just don't get.

I'm as happy as anyone with the last two wins and would love nothing more than to go on a long winning streak.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Guess this isn't as pointless now as before, huh? Let's bump this as the thread for those who now think the Unthinkable is not so Unthinkable . . .

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Another rebuild wouldn't t be as bad as the last. You trade jt for as much as you can get and you build the forward core around barzal and beavillier down the middle and ho sang and mdc on the wings.

It'll suck but not totally awful especially if they get legit talent for jt.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Guess this isn't as pointless now as before, huh? Let's bump this as the thread for those who now think the Unthinkable is not so Unthinkable . . .

Nope, still just as pointless. Lee, Leddy, Boychuk, Ladd, Barzal, beau, JHS, MdC, Pulock, De Haan, Toews, Bellows, Mayfield, Koivula, Wotherspoon, Quennville, Bischoff, Graham, Vande Sompel, Burroghs, Sorokin, Soderstrom etc etc... That is IF (A big if-but i'm sure the sky is falling crowd will argue its a certainty or likely) Tavares leaves...then all we need (after trading him for assets) is 1 foward and a few minor tweaks. A rebuild wouldn't even make sense lol It would be the worst decision since hiring Milbury. What are we going to rebuild ? we have maybe the deepest prospect pool in the league lol Silly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad