Speculation: Thinking The Unthinkable - What Would Another Rebuild Look Like?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Sure. we are all pretty depressed right now . . .

And the possibility of cleaning house during or right after the season is a possibility NONE of us thought remotely possible back in September . . . but might now be a real future . . .

Bringing in a new GM and Coaching Staff . . . and might that new GM decide to go with his own blueprint . . .

We own the 1st overall pick . . . is Nolan Patrick pretty much the only player to consider?

Certainly looks the part. Not sure of his defensive skills but he seems a lot like Kopitar to me or maybe a less abrasive version of Getzlaf.

Not a bad piece to build around.

But here's the really unthinkable part . . . what if the new GM decides the best thing to do is not go JT / Patrick down the middle but decides to trade JT? What possible package could we envision that might make sense? Certainly not just draft picks and prospects.

And please, before we get too far into this . . . like 99%+ of you I don't WANT to trade JT and I know he'd like to stay here . . . but this is an exercise in rebuilding, not a true 'we have to do this' thread.

So, let's go with the following potential lineups for 2019-2020 with the following names already filled in and let's see where we can go with a potential trade(s) that makes sense . . .

Patrick
Ho-Sang
Dal Colle
Barzal
Beauvellier
Leddy
Boychuck and Ladd (unless we can find a way to unload them but those contracts don't look movable)
Pulock
Pelech
Sorokin and Greiss in goal

(I'm going to assume that we lose DeHaan in the expansion draft)

Since it is 2019-2020 we assume that we do not have Grabo, Kulemin, Chimera and Seidenberg

Trade Bait besides JT

Hamonic
Bailey
Lee
Cizikas
Nelson
Strome
Hickey
Clutterbuck
Prince

So, here's the game . . .

Find a package that JT can be traded for that includes ONLY current NHL talent and AHL players. No draft picks and no one still in junior hockey.

Then see if there are any current players we can trade from the Trade Bait section and see what they could return . . . no limits on NHL/AHL/Junior/Draft picks.

If you want to include/keep someone from the Trade Bait pile go ahead and do so, but limit it to two players so you are forced to make some changes.

Design your lineup . . . again, remember that this is for 2019-2020.

----------

Okay, so here is my pie in the sky . . .

JT offers

To Anaheim for Hampus Lindholm and Richard Rakell

To Carolina for Justin Faulk and Jeff Skinner or Jordan Staal

To Colorado for Gabe Landeskog and Tyson Barrie

To Columbus for Brandon Saad and Zach Werenski or Seth Jones

To St. Louis for Colton Parayko and Jaden Schwartz

You get where I am going with this . . . a Top 4 or higher defender and a top line winger for Patrick.

Now, for the Colorado trade it would look like this:

I'll take Clutterbuck and Cizikas off the Trade Bait list and slot them in on the fourth line

I'll also offer Hamonic, Lee and Nelson to the LA Kings for Toffoli and Martinez

That leaves Strome, Bailey and Hickey as trade material for the 3rd line wingers

Strome to Dallas for Brett Ritchie? Bailey and Hickey to Calgary for Mikael Backlund?

Landeskog - Patrick - Toffoli

Dal Colle - Barzal - Ho-Sang

Backlund - Beauvillier - Ritchie

Ladd - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Leddy - Boychuck

Pelech - Pulock

Martinez - Barrie

Sorokin and Greiss as the goalie tandem

Obviously a lot of moving parts but we might as well have some intellectual challenge besides just looking at mock drafts . . .

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Man you have a lot of free time.

I'm dangerously close to jumping teams. I used to enjoy hockey.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Man you have a lot of free time.

I'm dangerously close to jumping teams. I used to enjoy hockey.

Working out of the house as a money manager with a lot of senior clients on fixed income gives you time to think . . .

:laugh: :cry:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'd rather indulge my fantasies in ways that are WAY more enjoyable than this.

Good point. But my bucket list is pretty wild too.

Tornado chase
Hobart Lacrosse in a Final Four
I'd say Sophie Marceau but I'm pretty happy with my current relationship . . .
Takarazuka performance in Japan
Powerball winner

That's just some of it . . . a lot of sporting events would be there too.

Of course I'd trade all of those for my son being healthy, happy and successful.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
"Why are we giving up a 4th round pick for Tavares we can easily sign him as a free agent for free there's literally no other team he'd rather play for than us" - every non-Islanders fan on the trade forums

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Very Cold in Quebec, I don't think the team can afford to rebuild again. Morale is at an all time low and loyal fans are thinking with their heads now as oppose to their hearts.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I don't have the energy to go into detail about what I'd do in order to do a complete rebuild since I hate myself enough already, but JT would absolutely have to be moved if we were to do it. The only player who should be untouchable would be Leddy.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
it wouldn't matter, because I am sure a re-build will only benefit Seattle or Quebec or wherever the Islanders are going to go, if they are going to lose JT, and the Islanders are going to go through a period where they are in last place and getting about 8,000 a night in Brooklyn, you think this team is going to hang around NY?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
it wouldn't matter, because I am sure a re-build will only benefit Seattle or Quebec or wherever the Islanders are going to go, if they are going to lose JT, and the Islanders are going to go through a period where they are in last place and getting about 8,000 a night in Brooklyn, you think this team is going to hang around NY?

I doubt the new owners would have bought the team if Quebec or Seattle was the place to go. I don't see how the economics work when you take away the financial assistance they get in Brooklyn. This franchise has gone through this before.

And a lot would depend on how the team looked on the ice. We are all disturbed by not only the results but the product and effort they are now putting out. This area has always supported a team that gave maximum effort, even if it is not a big winner. Remember how well it turned out when we traded Lafontaine? Lots of us were upset when the trade was made but look how well it turned out in 1993.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
This team doesn't need a rebuild. Come on folks. Pretty simple:

Change the management
Change the coach
End the 3 goalie thing - pick two, move the other, no matter the cost
Attempt to trade Grabo's space (2017 issue)
Attempt to trade Kulemin or buy him out 2017 season
Obtain a defensemen that can assertively play the transition game
Add speed to the Top6
Trade a #1 pick or two for a skilled high-end player
Quine is depth, not a full timer

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Can we just Get a New Coach and G.M. Before we throw the Baby out with the bathwater?
JT should go no where.
I can't watch them until Fred is gone, which I pray is soon!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Can we just Get a New Coach and G.M. Before we throw the Baby out with the bathwater?
JT should go no where.
I can't watch them until Fred is gone, which I pray is soon!

My scenario ASSUMES that happens first. The new GM might well decide to put their own stamp on the team, don't you think?

It's JUST an exercise to see what a rebuild would look like . . .

"And please, before we get too far into this . . . like 99%+ of you I don't WANT to trade JT and I know he'd like to stay here . . . but this is an exercise in rebuilding, not a true 'we have to do this' thread."

This is not a HAVE TO thread

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

What makes you think "they wouldn't hang around NY?" Would Ledecky/Malkin sour on the NY market because they are rebuilding? Doubtful. Would Barclays want to give the Islanders the boot? Perhaps. But the fact is that the new owners didn't pay what they paid for the Islanders to move them to Seattle or Quebec (or even back to Nassau for that matter). A rebuild won't change that.

For the record, I detest the idea of a rebuild now.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
With all do respect to the OP, how is this thread even something we are allowing to continue ? There will be no rebuild...there is zero reason for it. JT, Hamonic, De Haan, Nelson, Cizikas, move Strome for pieces, Leddy, MDC, JHS,Beauvillier,Barzal, Bellows, Toews,Pelech, Sorokin. Team just needs a re tool. If next GM moves JT he is a ****ing moron...worse then snow and my 20+ years of loyalty to this team is done. Mods please just lock this...this place is getting out of control...we don't need a what if thread. Save this at the very least for when/if we get a new GM. Right now this is just another fire starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad