Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Sunk-cost fallacy.
If the Flyers fired Torts they’d have to pay him a lot of money to not coach, yeah Comcast would not blink an eye… but the x factor here is that a lot of fans would be pissed. Fans in this town like hard nosed coaches. Buddy, Larry Brown, Bowa…then think about the Flyers, Shero, Keenan, Hitch, Lavi….

Right or wrong this town wants guys who are a little nasty and work hard.

My guess is that they see how this year goes and if they are in same spot, they can him.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
The team over exceeded expectations.

3rd place in the Metro had 94 points. Tampa in WC1 had 98 points.

The Metro division collapsed, with only NYR and Carolina able to capitalize.

It is ballwashing for management and Tortorella when people say the Flyers exceeded expectations. No, they did not. They were expected to improve (merely by adding Couturier, let alone then also discussing some other players progressing naturally by being 1 year older and more experienced [note: not due to being under the tutelage of Torts]).

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
7 more wins this year than last year
75pts vs 87pts
12pt difference

People say Tortorella squeezes out extra points. I ask for them to point out to me, where and how?

The overall team roster was improved from the prior year. How many points did that help the Flyers accrue compared to last?

Return of the King: How do we objectively factor in the return of Couturier and his contributions?

What about in-game player and line deployment? For instance, the 22-23 season and 23-24 season are riddled with highly questionable decisions resulting in an absurd amount of OTLs. An objective fact. Another objective fact is Tortorella approves of and excuses the terrible PP results by Thompson's coaching; else there would be a change. Thompson is a direct extension of Tortorella. How do we assess the amount of points lost from Tortorella's completely inept PP?

Brad Shaw: He did many good things. Results speak for themselves. How many points did he help the team accrue by being the 4th best PK team in the league with a league leading 16 goals? In his role, I do not believe he hurt the team in directly losing points, unlike Tortorella and Thompson.

Tortorella is ridiculously overrated. He is an enigma, but he isn't. Easily see through by many, but a lot of the Flyers' fanbase has a propensity to bow down to the pseudo "tough guy" persona and gobble up his shtick and then ask for seconds and thirds.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The Torts stuff is concerning...especially because it sounds like theyre gonna continue to make moves for him.

You cannot start shipping out guys like Farabee, Frost, and even Coots just to appease this coach who they themselves are losing faith in.

And they cannot hire Berube. You cannot hire a guy who is good friends with the team president. They already have an AHL coach they cant fire bc hes close with the GM.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I am but one online mongrel, but I completely and unabashedly believed they'd finish bottom 5 this season, so I'll just put that out there.
without Coots they would be a bottom 5 team. That was the condition before the season. Coots was healthy a longer time and played more than we expected so they got better results.

Later when Coots wasnt healthy the results were bad. So the thinking from before the season is confirmed in my eyes!

7 more wins this year than last year
75pts vs 87pts
12pt difference

People say Tortorella squeezes out extra points. I ask for them to point out to me, where and how?

The overall team roster was improved from the prior year. How many points did that help the Flyers accrue compared to last?

Return of the King: How do we objectively factor in the return of Couturier and his contributions?

What about in-game player and line deployment? For instance, the 22-23 season and 23-24 season are riddled with highly questionable decisions resulting in an absurd amount of OTLs. An objective fact. Another objective fact is Tortorella approves of and excuses the terrible PP results by Thompson's coaching; else there would be a change. Thompson is a direct extension of Tortorella. How do we assess the amount of points lost from Tortorella's completely inept PP?

Brad Shaw: He did many good things. Results speak for themselves. How many points did he help the team accrue by being the 4th best PK team in the league with a league leading 16 goals? In his role, I do not believe he hurt the team in directly losing points, unlike Tortorella and Thompson.

Tortorella is ridiculously overrated. He is an enigma, but he isn't. Easily see through by many, but a lot of the Flyers' fanbase has a propensity to bow down to the pseudo "tough guy" persona and gobble up his shtick and then ask for seconds and thirds.
Great Post!

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
without Coots they would be a bottom 5 team. That was the condition before the season. Coots was healthy a longer time and played more than we expected so they got better results.

Later when Coots wasnt healthy the results were bad. So the thinking from before the season is confirmed in my eyes!

Great Post!
I figured Coots two years removed from playing wouldn't make much of a difference. Obviously he did... until he crashed and burned following overuse.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
3rd place in the Metro had 94 points. Tampa in WC1 had 98 points.

The Metro division collapsed, with only NYR and Carolina able to capitalize.

It is ballwashing for management and Tortorella when people say the Flyers exceeded expectations. No, they did not. They were expected to improve (merely by adding Couturier, let alone then also discussing some other players progressing naturally by being 1 year older and more experienced [note: not due to being under the tutelage of Torts]).

Again - the over under on sports books was 70-76, go look at predictions from analysts and bloggers - no one believed in this team (for good reason).

Everyone thought they were gonna stink. They weren't particularly good, but they didn't stink, and you can love it or hate it - but they made people interested and care again.

I wanted a full tear down - I'm not happy about being in purgatory - but this team was way better than the general consensus thought.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Again - the over under on sports books was 70-76, go look at predictions from analysts and bloggers - no one believed in this team (for good reason).

Everyone thought they were gonna stink. They weren't particularly good, but they didn't stink, and you can love it or hate it - but they made people interested and care again.

I wanted a full tear down - I'm not happy about being in purgatory - but this team was way better than the general consensus thought.
one has to question though..were they really or did every other team in the east pretty much suck this year. One would ask, do you think they can do the same next year or will every other team that sucked this year play better and can this team keep up

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Didn't see this posted. Fourth most improved team this year!!

1714936305253.png

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So I don’t know if it was mentioned anywhere before & I just missed it but you can see on their YouTube channel as it’s clipped in a short video. But it’s during the Drysdale season review Charlie mentioned that a Gauthier for Rossi basis trade was on the table (as was an Arber Xhekaj basis trade as well which I do remember Friedman I think saying after the fact).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So I don’t know if it was mentioned anywhere before & I just missed it but you can see on their YouTube channel as it’s clipped in a short video. But it’s during the Drysdale season review Charlie mentioned that a Gauthier for Rossi basis trade was on the table (as was an Arber Xhekaj basis trade as well which I do remember Friedman I think saying after the fact).
Rossi would have gotten me on board, but they weren't going to trade for a 5'9 center (who also had his own illness/injury issues).

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
one has to question though..were they really or did every other team in the east pretty much suck this year. One would ask, do you think they can do the same next year or will every other team that sucked this year play better and can this team keep up
Honestly I think the Flyers fan is pretty unique in this town. The Flyers aren't the Eagles - fans of the Flyers do not watch the rest of the league like a NFL Sunday or quite frankly care as much about the other teams or players like they do with football. It's a super local market driven sport, that is also pretty niche.

We were in a playoff spot for majority of the season, right in the mix, the team passed the eye test most nights - now parlay that with a 12 point improvement...that will have the average fan thinking they exceeded expectations.

This team was at least fun. I like watching TK, Tippett, York, Farabee, Frost, Sanheim. I looked forward to tuning in to see if Foerster, Ersson, and Brink can be dudes. I genuinely enjoyed watching this team - I watched every game this year, I made it a point to DVR and watch the game the next day if I had something going on.

People enjoyed having a decent hockey team - again I want a full on sale and tear down - but it's totally ok that this group resonated with the average fan again and made them proud.

Do I want them to file Torts? Hell yea I do. But it would legit alienate a lot of the people you just got back in the building. I think they miss a lot of context, and that's fine...but I can guarantee you majority of the fanbase has no idea about analytics/underlying numbers or who the 2nd line center for Carolina is.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Please tell me the proposed deal wasn't Xhekaj as the main piece for Gauthier.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Please tell me the proposed deal wasn't Xhekaj as the main piece for Gauthier.

Charlie said he would have imagined the draft pick would have been a first rounder then but he admitted that probably would have been the worst offer on the table & would have made him really question their thought process.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Oh thats the line for him? Not the millions of red flags we've been seeing from the start?

I don't have any other specific examples but in general Charlie is more critical on the PHLY Flyers Podcast than he is on twitter - and he especially has been since the season ended.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Charlie said he would have imagined the draft pick would have been a first rounder then but he admitted that probably would have been the worst offer on the table & would have made him really question their thought process.
Thanks, LoD. That would make me go Hmm, with a 5OV pick this year for a 5OV from a weaker draft. But Xhekaj would be more of the same face-puncher love from this FO.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad