They Were Canes Once . . . and Young (well, some of them)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
he’s a poor man’s Warren Foegele.
He's got more tools than Foegele, and Foegele isn't some sort of great toolbox guy himself.

Gauthier is the biggest tease. He has size, he has speed, he has a shot, he's got decent hands, he looks great in practice and pre-season.

When the game starts, he seems to have no clue where to be and he doesn't use his physical attributes. Foegele is out of position often and makes bad reads, but the guy just hustles his ass off to make up for it. Gauthier doesn't do that.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
He's got more tools than Foegele, and Foegele isn't some sort of great toolbox guy himself.

Gauthier is the biggest tease. He has size, he has speed, he has a shot, he's got decent hands, he looks great in practice and pre-season.

When the game starts, he seems to have no clue where to be and he doesn't use his physical attributes. Foegele is out of position often and makes bad reads, but the guy just hustles his ass off to make up for it. Gauthier doesn't do that.
Foegele also periodically had "wow" games using his speed and strength.

SMH @ Francis' 2016 draft of Bean and Gauthier versus what was available.

Then again, we probably wouldn't have Svetch if they had drafted better.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

James Wisniewski died yesterday. 40 yo, cystic fibrosis.

edit: please read the posts below. I can't find anything that would indicate this is true. I'm still curious as to what I heard on the ABC broadcast of the Avs / Pens hockey game.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Is this another don’t believe everything you read test?
The NHL network or ABC (can’t remember which game I was watching) said someone died and the name was very similar. But I can’t imagine a pro athlete being able to play with CF. Got to think it was someone else.

Reactions: DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The NHL network or ABC (can’t remember which game I was watching) said someone died and the name was very similar. But I can’t imagine a pro athlete being able to play with CF. Got to think it was someone else.

It was the Pens/ Avs game on ABC. I had it on in the background so wasn't paying close attention, but I thought I heard "James Wisniewski", died last night, and cystic fibrosis. But nothing shows up on a google search, so ? Maybe his spouse, or (hopefully not) a child? Maybe an NHL or ABC employee with a similar name? I dunno. . .

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad