GDT: There's Totally A Game Today (Phi/Cgy 6pm MST)

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Austin Watson in also his 500th NHL game today . . . With Blake Coleman's previous team, the Tampa Bay Lightning . . . Also scores. Wut.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Glad huberdeau got a point. He’s looked better as of late. I mean, still nowhere near good enough, but still.

Happy new year’s guys and gals (let’s be real mostly the former here haha). Let’s hope for a better year with hockey.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Only watched highlights as I got a bit drunk last night. Huberdeau looked more ignited and so was Mangiapanne.

Coleman is one beast of a player, really glad Huska has been rewarding him with a 1st PP. Such a great coach, team is always trying- liked Gilbert. Good stuff fellas and a Happy belated New Year to all of ya.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Markstrom isn’t a bad goalie but he might be the most unfocused one I’ve seen play for us. From 1st shot goals to backbreakers like that Kraken gamewinner and now the Philly 3rd one.

He’d probably fit the Leafs like a glove with all the high danger chances they give up
Guy has a 2.02 GAA and a .932 save percentage since coming back from injury, and posters will still find a reason to complain about him. This time a high slot tip that completely changed the pucks direction means Markstrom must’ve been picking daisies if he couldn’t save it. Really goes to show people see what they want to see.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Guy has a 2.02 GAA and a .932 save percentage since coming back from injury, and posters will still find a reason to complain about him. This time a high slot tip that completely changed the pucks direction means Markstrom must’ve been picking daisies if he couldn’t save it. Really goes to show people see what they want to see.
So… a 5 game sample size? Mostly propped up by his only shutout of the year against the hapless Ducks. Because in his last 3, Markstrom has pitched us an .879, .905, and .903 which is where his overall numbers have been hovering all season.

Expectations have shifted in the NHL with .900/5 being the new .915, so I don’t understand how anyone can conclude that Markstrom is giving us anything more than average goaltending. He makes some tough saves and then also loses his concentration with some terrible goals within the same game.

In games where Markstrom is faced with 25 or fewer shots, he is 4-3-1 with an .892. That’s just middle-of-the-road goaltending

He’s been ok, just like most of this roster. It’s why we’re sitting at 15-16-5 with Coleman and Weegar as our runaway MVPs.

Reactions: Tofveve

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So… a 5 game sample size? Mostly propped up by his only shutout of the year against the hapless Ducks. Because in his last 3, Markstrom has pitched us an .879, .905, and .903 which is where his overall numbers have been hovering all season.

Expectations have shifted in the NHL with .900/5 being the new .915, so I don’t understand how anyone can conclude that Markstrom is giving us anything more than average goaltending. He makes some tough saves and then also loses his concentration with some terrible goals within the same game.

In games where Markstrom is faced with 25 or fewer shots, he is 4-3-1 with an .892. That’s just middle-of-the-road goaltending

He’s been ok, just like most of this roster. It’s why we’re sitting at 15-16-5 with Coleman and Weegar as our runaway MVPs.
Why is taking out the shutout a reasonable way to analyze this stretch of games?

The GWG by Seattle was certainly a true bad goal. Luckily that isn't the norm with Markstrom.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

“If you remove his good games, he really hasn’t been good” energy there.

For the same reason a reasonable viewer can discern that Joel Hofer (.911) isn’t an equally talented goalie as Shesterkin (.911) and Sorokin (.912). Context. One of my favorite litmus tests is “But how do their backups do?” And Markstrom aces that.

Markstrom 2.73 GAA
Vladar 3.40 GAA
Wolf 3.46 GAA

Our team almost lets in a goal less a game when Markstrom plays compared to any other goalie, showing that’s he putting up pretty great results relative to the situation we are putting him in.

On a side note, and sorry because this will really grind your gears, I’d put Hanifin as our team MVP on defense before Weegar.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
“If you remove his good games, he really hasn’t been good” energy there.

For the same reason a reasonable viewer can discern that Joel Hofer (.911) isn’t an equally talented goalie as Shesterkin (.911) and Sorokin (.912). Context. One of my favorite litmus tests is “But how do their backups do?” And Markstrom aces that.

Markstrom 2.73 GAA
Vladar 3.40 GAA
Wolf 3.46 GAA

Our team almost lets in a goal less a game when Markstrom plays compared to any other goalie, showing that’s he putting up pretty great results relative to the situation we are putting him in.

On a side note, and sorry because this will really grind your gears, I’d put Hanifin as our team MVP on defense before Weegar.
It’s a shutout against the Ducks, who are 29th in goals. Cool.

The team still finds a way to win with Vladar in net (5-4-2). It’s not like we have Kiprusoff era splits where the backup would give us .850s on a good day. An ongoing observation by many Flames fans is that Vladar gets more run support. I’d argue the skaters recognize that there are differences between the two goalies and adjust their playstyle based on the two.

Ironically, I’d say that Markstrom does better in much less structured settings with more chaos so the team should probably loosen up with him than Vladar.

Looking at this year’s goalies:

For those dragging their teams to big heights, look no further than Talbot, Hart, Hellebuyck, Demko, Ingram.

If we want to discuss goalies being failed by their team, we can look at Joey Daccord, Saros, or Sorokin.

Markstrom hasn’t been at their levels this season. He’d probably be ideal for a team like the Leafs or Canes right now who are being derailed by minor-league level goaltending

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
It’s a shutout against the Ducks, who are 29th in goals. Cool.

The team still finds a way to win with Vladar in net (5-4-2). It’s not like we have Kiprusoff era splits where the backup would give us .850s on a good day. An ongoing observation by many Flames fans is that Vladar gets more run support. I’d argue the skaters recognize that there are differences between the two goalies and adjust their playstyle based on the two.

Ironically, I’d say that Markstrom does better in much less structured settings with more chaos so the team should probably loosen up with him than Vladar.

Looking at this year’s goalies:

For those dragging their teams to big heights, look no further than Talbot, Hart, Hellebuyck, Demko, Ingram.

If we want to discuss goalies being failed by their team, we can look at Joey Daccord, Saros, or Sorokin.

Markstrom hasn’t been at their levels this season. He’d probably be ideal for a team like the Leafs or Canes right now who are being derailed by minor-league level goaltending
“We score more goals because Vladar is a better goaltender”. I’m done with this topic if this is the mental gymnastics you’ll go to to say why Markstrom having .700 less goals against actually might be a bad thing, that somehow the teams score less because of Markstrom’s play.

For reasonable people reading along, Markstrom faces 28 shots per game, Vladar 28 shots per game, and Wolf 29 shots per game.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
“We score more goals because Vladar is a better goaltender”. I’m done with this topic if this is the mental gymnastics you’ll go to to say why Markstrom having .700 less goals against actually might be a bad thing, that somehow the teams score less because of Markstrom’s play.

For reasonable people reading along, Markstrom faces 28 shots per game, Vladar 28 shots per game, and Wolf 29 shots per game.
- Markstrom is an average starter who is highly prone to lapses in concentration despite having the ability to make difficult saves
- The team isn’t much worse off with Vladar in net

Two controversial takes with mental gymnastics for the 25th placed Calgary Flames

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Glad we pulled it off. Perhaps Mangiapane goes on a bit of a heater. I really wouldn't mind seeing that happen. A rising Bread Man. Yes, make it so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad