Speculation: There's 18 games left in the season. Why would there be a coaching change at this point?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I am not a big Sheldon Keefe fan, but why would it be reasonable to think that he's going to be fired?

TOR is at 80 points now with 18 games to go. Even if they play less that .500 they'll still likely make the playoffs at this point.

Keefe has quite a few games to get the forward lines straight, the new defensive pairings right, and for his sick/injured/older players to be ready for the post-season.

What gives you any reason to say "a coaching change is what this team needs now"?

I would rather have another coach, but I just don't see why he should be fired at this point.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am not a big Sheldon Keefe fan, but why would it be reasonable to think that he's going to be fired?

TOR is at 80 points now with 18 games to go. Even if they play less that .500 they'll still likely make the playoffs at this point.

Keefe has quite a few games to get the forward lines straight, the new defensive pairings right, and for his sick/injured/older players to be ready for the post-season.

What gives you any reason to say "a coaching change is what this team needs now"?

I would rather have another coach, but I just don't see why he should be fired at this point.

There wouldn't be one right now.

This off-season though it's very likely unless they finally play up to expectations.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
The only reason would be to try to roll into the playoffs one the new coach’s honeymoon phase/“new-coach bump”

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There won't be. Have there been any whispers to the contrary?

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Everyone seems eager to fire the coach, perhaps in anticipation of directing their frustrations toward the next coach. Within a year, they’ll likely be clamoring for the new coach’s firing as well.

I've watched this play out over and over again.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

It would take something like a heart attack for SK not to finish the year. Did somebody that wasn't drunk suggest that? link please

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
There wouldn't be one right now.

This off-season though it's very likely unless they finally play up to expectations.
This new boss will want to instill some fingerprints on this organization
Money aside the leafs will be different unless we run the table,and quite Franky it should ,it's time for the rock stars to rock

Reactions: 29Potvin

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There's zero reason to believe Shanny/Tre have any current desire to get rid of Keefe. There hasn't been a peep from any media sources, and Tre even went out of his way to give Keefe a multi year extension - he's his guy.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There's zero reason to believe Shanny/Tre have any current desire to get rid of Keefe. There hasn't been a peep from any media sources, and Tre even went out of his way to give Keefe a multi year extension - he's his guy.

That's cause they are not actually trying to win hockey games. They are just trying to appease certain players, and sell jerseys. It's a real shame what's going on here. If they actually cared about winning the cup, this core would have been shaken up long time ago and they would have hired a real coach.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Zero chance they're looking to get rid of a coach right now that has a team trending towards 105 points.

I'd even wager that if the team wins 2 rounds, we still have Keefe, for better or worse.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Who’s saying he’s gonna be fired soon? I think if the Leafs don’t at least make it a competitive second round he will be gone. I’m fine with him being turfed anyways after the playoffs if there is a better option.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I bet he’s here next season as well no matter what happens in these playoffs.

Good God, I hope not. I'm probably one of, if not the only guy on this site, that has been ok with him not being fired this season (for context, I would have had no problem with him getting canned before the season started). But if they go out first round this year, he HAS to go. If Brad doesn't can him, then Brad has to go, too. But to what you just posted, who the hell knows at this point?

Reactions: HolyCrap

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There wouldn't be a coaching change at this point, obviously.
And there's really no reason to anyway.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Keefe will be around to start the 24 - 25 season regardless of what happens in this years playoffs
imho

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Keefe's days should be numbered by now.

The team's been a consistent loser with that turd behind the bench. He has one plan for every series. Play the crap out of the stars in attempt to outscore your problems.

If that doesn't work just play them some more.

The idea of trying something else never seems to have crossed his mind. So bizarre Keefe would watch his team fail every year and keep doing the same thing anyway. That's not insanity.

It's stupidity.

Even if Babcock wasn't the right coach for this team that doesn't mean Keefe is. A half decade later and the team might actually have regressed since Keefe took over. If he fails again this year I can't think of any reason they should be giving this guy another chance.

Then again, given a choice between hiring someone competent, or persisting with a bumbling fool, ML$E has chosen the latter every time.

Reactions: MisterT

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2