There is a scarce list of players who have had both more goals and assists in the same season as Kucherov has this year, and it is really telling.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Kucherov has had a spectacular season, and as good as he is I am not sure he was anyone's pick to almost certainly win the Art Ross. But there is a scary and scarce list of players that have had both more goals in a season as him and more assists in the same season. And while I don't ignore a 141 point season it really brought it home when you see this list. So here it is:

Gretzky in 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989
Lemieux in 1989 and 1988* (as of now with two games left for Kucherov Lemieux had more goals but an even number of assists in 1988)

That's it, nine times. And the 10th time is a tie with two games left. That is just utterly incredible.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Would this be more appreciated in the History of Hockey section? I figure something that happens in 2024 would get moved to the main board anyway so that's why I posted it here. But really, no one finds this stat impressive? There is no one other than Mario or Wayne that have done this.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Every 100 assist season by a forward had 40+ goals surprisingly (Bobby Orr had 37 goals).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's not all that telling, actually. Look at it via probability functions and you'll see that it's actually quite likely. The reason is that as long as the other player's goal-assist ratio isn't practically identical with Kucherov's, he'll need to have scored significantly more points to meet these requirements.

Reactions: Madap

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
It's not all that telling, actually. Look at it via probability functions and you'll see that it's actually quite likely. The reason is that as long as the other player's goal-assist ratio isn't practically identical with Kucherov's, he'll need to have scored significantly more points to meet these requirements.

I do not see how it is quite likely. There are two people who have done this, Mario once and Gretzky 8 times.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
McDavid had a better year than him last year, this is just semantics, the way some people talk about Kucherov you'd think he was some persecuted figure or something, the guy is having an awesome year, but so are many others.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
McDavid had a better year than him last year, this is just semantics, the way some people talk about Kucherov you'd think he was some persecuted figure or something, the guy is having an awesome year, but so are many others.
I like Kucherov but he isn’t JT Miller levels of awesomeness.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Mackinnon has pretty much the same amount of points but more goals and yet Kucherov s season is utterly incredible?

This is one of those stats that sound cool but is ultimately meaningless. Kucherov is having an amazing season that should be celebrated, but not because of this stat.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Its a hell of a season. For comparison the list of players with more goals & assists as McDavid last year is:

Gretzky x 4

Lemieux x 4

Yzerman x 1

Reactions: SullivanT

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I like Kucherov but he isn’t JT Miller levels of awesomeness.
Exactly, JT Miller did what Kuch did in his rookie year when he got triple exemption at age 15, the NHL just scrubbed it from everywhere because he made the sport into a joke.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Kucherov also reversed-hit that big bitch Tom Wilson right in the face recently, which should be worth some extra goals and assists in my book.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Mackinnon has pretty much the same amount of points but more goals and yet Kucherov s season is utterly incredible?

This is one of those stats that sound cool but is ultimately meaningless. Kucherov is having an amazing season that should be celebrated, but not because of this stat.

Well, what is more impressive perhaps is that the only people with more points in a single season are:
Oates, Bossy, Lafontaine, Nicholls, Jagr, Yzerman, McDavid

The ones that did it more than once:
Esposito (unless Kuch surpasses 145 points), Mario, Gretzky

Its a hell of a season. For comparison the list of players with more goals & assists as McDavid last year is:

Gretzky x 4

Lemieux x 4

Yzerman x 1

Good comparison

Reactions: Madap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad