Proposal: Nash NJ offseason

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Didn't Saros just lose out to a third on the depth chart goalie....Further proof it's a team game don't need Saros to win NJ has to have a good 1a 1b and improve their depth players and possibly add a vet dman....
This is the biggest WTF comment I've ever given. You have to be joking or else my brain will explode.

• Haha
Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
If Fitz trades either for Saros, he should be fired.

Saros is one of the best goalies in the league, you really care that much about a 10th OA pick? Sure contract considerations, but I couldn’t care less about a draft pick if it’s at the cost of getting a bonafide #1. What do you expect to give up for a “real” goalie? If that’s your line of thinking, you better be okay rolling with Allen and one of Schmid or Daws.

Reactions: Forge

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
This is the biggest WTF comment I've ever given. You have to be joking or else my brain will explode.
Nope he's what 29 wants Heley money/term and relies on his athleticism he is not worth the 10 th overall pick....Goalies like him if they get injured don't always come back the same risk is high....Rather pay less for Markstrom and he carries us to Daws or Malek

Saros is one of the best goalies in the league, you really care that much about a 10th OA pick? Sure contract considerations, but I couldn’t care less about a draft pick if it’s at the cost of getting a bonafide #1. What do you expect to give up for a “real” goalie? If that’s your line of thinking, you better be okay rolling with Allen and one of Schmid or Daws.
Just got outplayed by 3rd goalie on the depth chart .....He brings no guarantee to fix the Devils we need a lot of other help and he will want too much of that money

Reactions: My3Sons

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I'm fine with paying either of those for Saros....*if* they are okay with the contract.

Saros' upcoming contract is a bigger issue than the trade compensation.
He's going to want term and a high aav....Don't blame him but that should take him out of running for Devils....Sign him and he regresses or gets hurt Devils are toast....

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Nope he's what 29 wants Heley money/term and relies on his athleticism he is not worth the 10 th overall pick....Goalies like him if they get injured don't always come back the same risk is high....Rather pay less for Markstrom and he carries us to Daws or Malek

Just got outplayed by 3rd goalie on the depth chart .....He brings no guarantee to fix the Devils we need a lot of other help and he will want too much of that money

Ahh yes, the old 10 game sample size.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
LOL. New Jersey adds Mercer + their 2024 1st and removes Holtz + the 2025 2nd.

Holtz carries minor/modest value at best.

You do realize that’s a Preds fan that proposed it, right. You also realize that Saros has one more year on his contract, right? The Devils aren’t giving up both a top 10 pick and Mercer. If that’s the cost, that just means Trotz doesn’t want to trade Saros.

Reactions: My3Sons

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Ahh yes, the old 10 game sample size.
Nah wasn't even 10 games even less of a reply....Not that at all there is more wrong with this team then just goaltending.....He wants term and aav like Heley on the Jets everyone said he was our biggest mistake where is he now oh yeah outplayed by Georgiev....Another proof you don't have to have a 9 million goalie in net...

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Don't want Saros and the privilege of overpaying for his decline. Same reason we did well avoiding Hellebucyk.

Much rather do Markstrom at lesser cost and limited term.

We need better than '23 Vanacek/Schmid. It's hard but not that hard. And the teams selling these guys are zombies - NSH, CGY, WPG, etc. aren't winning shit anytime soon. No need to overpay.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Much rather do Markstrom at lesser cost and limited term.
This is still what I expect to happen.

From what I've seen said about his end of year presser, it seems like he thinks his time in Calgary is done

2 years seems like the sweet spot because I think the organization is still bullish on Schmid, daws and maybe Malek.

Reactions: Oneiro

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You do realize that’s a Preds fan that proposed it, right. You also realize that Saros has one more year on his contract, right? The Devils aren’t giving up both a top 10 pick and Mercer. If that’s the cost, that just means Trotz doesn’t want to trade Saros.
I’d assume NJ does have an extension in place. So that’s a sign and trade.

Holtz + 2nd doesn’t buy you much of a goalie. Doesn’t let you get close to Saros.

I doubt that Saros yields a top ten pick + Mercer for a goalie with one year below market.
As elite a goalie as there is in the NHL. The assumption is Saros resigns this summer and it’s not a one year rental but a long term solution.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This is still what I expect to happen.

From what I've seen said about his end of year presser, it seems like he thinks his time in Calgary is done

2 years seems like the sweet spot because I think the organization is still bullish on Schmid, daws and maybe Malek.
This is the reason I believe as well. But at this point the price has to be lower than Ullmark (Bs fans say a 25 1st and maybe a small add)

LOL. New Jersey adds Mercer + their 2024 1st and removes Holtz + the 2025 2nd.

Holtz carries minor/modest value at best.
Well that ain't happening

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
hellebuyck is equal or better and look at his playoff stats. goalies are voodoo.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He's going to want term and a high aav....Don't blame him but that should take him out of running for Devils....Sign him and he regresses or gets hurt Devils are toast....
every player you sign long term carries those kind of risks. also the ones you draft and develop. the devils should have invested more draft capital into the goalie position in the early stages of their rebuild as it's the position it takes longest to develop.
but most devils fans didn't saw a need to invest with schneider and a developping blackwood. looking back askarov at #7 instead of holtz would have been our best option. the other drafts the devils picks were either too early or late to draft an elite goalie prospect.
we can still hope one of the prospects can turn the corner and develop into legitimate starter or 1a/1b type. or we go the avs path and try to fill the hole every other season. georgiev just beat hellebuyck in a series.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
hellebuyck is equal or better and look at his playoff stats. goalies are voodoo.

Not sure what argument you’re trying to make? Are you arguing to not trade the 10 OA for a goalie? Because a draft pick at that position is voodoo x10

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Not sure what argument you’re trying to make? Are you arguing to not trade the 10 OA for a goalie? Because a draft pick at that position is voodoo x10
either way can go wrong.

i would make the pick. mostly because with saros you get one guaranteed year. the prospect you pick at 10 might bust. but you won't handicap your cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad