Tribute There Goes Our Hero : Jonathan Drouin

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
The fact that he was signed to so little money for one season, says a lot about his value in the league.
The Avs did some good asset management here and kinda fleeced Kent. Lekhy has transformed in Denver while Barron is still shy of a regular spot in MTL. Some fans actually want to use him as tradebait now. I suppose the Habs got a second in 2024. Anyways, Drouin was rumoured to the Avs years ago but BargainBin didn't capitalize on it. So, the Avs waited and grabbed him for free. Kent should had tried to tie Drouin's rights into the Newhook deal, which I believe the Habs gave up simply too much. Newhook was simply not worth a second and first + B prospect. The Avs used that second to acquire Ross. Now, if that is not good asset management, I don't know what is. This should be a lesson for Hughes whose still learning the job. I expect Drouin to turn it aroumd in Denver, he's still young and quite talented. If it doesn't workout for him, well then we can all agree that Drouin was simply not cut out to play in the NHL.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The Peter principle is a thing. Many make it to the top only to fail. His NHL career is a failure no matter if he has made a lot more money before the age of 30 than most people will in their lifetime.

Then what is considered success? A hall of fame career?

In the case you brought up, a surgeon. If I am not the best surgeon but make a career as a surgeon am I loser? I would imagine no.

I would imagine a player making it to the NHL and being kicked out is a failure. This will be Drouin's 10 consecutive NHL season. I think 'loser' or 'failure' is a bit suspect.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Drouin wasn’t able to turn it around after 6 seasons in Montreal, he’s not going to become a different player. He is who who he is at this point in his career. Maybe he’ll get more offensive opportunities thanks to better line mates or maybe not.

He’s probably off to Europe if it doesn’t pan out in Colorado.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Hope he's in a better headspace these days.
That exactly. Being mired in the kind of darkness that, by all accounts, he endured is far more important a thing than the number of pucks he can put into the net. Living free from that is all that I wish for him, nevermind NHL success as a reclamation project.

Reactions: badfish

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Then what is considered success? A hall of fame career?

In the case you brought up, a surgeon. If I am not the best surgeon but make a career as a surgeon am I loser? I would imagine no.

I would imagine a player making it to the NHL and being kicked out is a failure. This will be Drouin's 10 consecutive NHL season. I think 'loser' or 'failure' is a bit suspect.
It's about being established and not just hanging around. Galchenyuk has also been playing in the NHL for a decade but he has not been a regular in a long time. I would not call his career a success because he keeps getting cups of coffee around the league.

The Canadiens just committed too much term and money on Drouin and they had no choice but to play him. They tried dumping his ass multiple times but they never managed. I see his career going the same way as Galchenyuk where he will tour the NHL because of where he was drafted and his elusive potential that they may just unlock.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
My first recollection of the Habs trying to trade him came from mainstream broadcaster on RDS and pundit on the 98.5 FM morning show, who said this in September 2020:

And he wasn’t just talking about the month when that was tweeted. The tweet says that the Habs tried on several occasions. So yes, it was likely.

Also, you should know by now that point totals are not the be-all and end-all of whether a player is put on the market for trading purposes. That tweet is not saying that other teams were not prepared to pay the price, it says that they wanted no part of him — that’s the only difference that there is.

He was a perimeter player who would refuse to go in the slot, despite three years spent by then associate coach Kirk Muller driving home the message that doing so would help boost his offensive production. He spent a lot of time showing him comparables, videos and stats to back up his teachings, all to no avail.

It got so pointless to try and get Drouin to adjust his game that Kirk Muller complained about it to ex-teammate Mario Tremblay, who mentioned it on AC.

The simple correlation is that Muller’s observations went up the food chain and when management tried to act on them, they were rebuffed by the market. They didn’t need several years to find out that they needed to cut bait. Muller was only in his second year as associate coach when Drouin began as a Hab.

Actually, it doesn't say "they wanted nothing to do with him" at all. It says they didn't find a taker. Taker could imply that habs had a big asking price or that teams didn't like his contract so wanted to trade some money back. It does not say at any point they did not like Drouin and wanted 'no part' of him. That's sensationalizing the reality.

The reality is even 4 years removed from his 2nd habs season where he's had injuries and personal issues he still found a taker on day 1 of his free agency. So that alone refutes the argument. He had much more promise 4 years ago as well.

Your assessment of his skills is correct though. Drouin is a flawed hockey player, one dimensional and far from sought after. I just think you've taken some creative liberty with the tweet.

In any case, he's gone now and HF Habs lovechild Galchenyuk was in colorado last year and didn't succeed. Hopefully Drouin does a touch better, for his own benefit.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Actually, it doesn't say "they wanted nothing to do with him" at all. It says they didn't find a taker. Taker could imply that habs had a big asking price or that teams didn't like his contract so wanted to trade some money back. It does not say at any point they did not like Drouin and wanted 'no part' of him. That's sensationalizing the reality.

The reality is even 4 years removed from his 2nd habs season where he's had injuries and personal issues he still found a taker on day 1 of his free agency. So that alone refutes the argument. He had much more promise 4 years ago as well.

Your assessment of his skills is correct though. Drouin is a flawed hockey player, one dimensional and far from sought after. I just think you've taken some creative liberty with the tweet.

In any case, he's gone now and HF Habs lovechild Galchenyuk was in colorado last year and didn't succeed. Hopefully Drouin does a touch better, for his own benefit.
Colorado went dumpster diving and paid pennies. The more revealing situation was that no one would offer a 7th for him at the trade deadline.

HabSgt

Go Habs D'OH
Oct 19, 2019
Montreal
Jo Drouin became a flash point for all the discontent Habs fans had with management. Not really fair & he got more hate on here than he deserved. It was not his fault he was acquired by the team. That said it was not going to work here & I think he realized it. Fresh start for him & Habs turn the page on one of the big trades that marked the previous management (who will remain unnamed).

Bonne chance à lui avec le Avs. Au revoir.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It's about being established and not just hanging around. Galchenyuk has also been playing in the NHL for a decade but he has not been a regular in a long time. I would not call his career a success because he keeps getting cups of coffee around the league.

The Canadiens just committed too much term and money on Drouin and they had no choice but to play him. They tried dumping his ass multiple times but they never managed. I see his career going the same way as Galchenyuk where he will tour the NHL because of where he was drafted and his elusive potential that they may just unlock.

Why were they forced to play him? Nashville just bought out Duchene and we HAD to keep Drouin? We didn't have to do anything.

We can split hairs on whats considered failure, loser or success but Drouin is bound to surpass 500 NHL games played including his injuries and time lost. This isn't touching NHL and failing IMO but agree to disagree.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The Avs did some good asset management here and kinda fleeced Kent. Lekhy has transformed in Denver while Barron is still shy of a regular spot in MTL. Some fans actually want to use him as tradebait now. I suppose the Habs got a second in 2024. Anyways, Drouin was rumoured to the Avs years ago but BargainBin didn't capitalize on it. So, the Avs waited and grabbed him for free. Kent should had tried to tie Drouin's rights into the Newhook deal, which I believe the Habs gave up simply too much. Newhook was simply not worth a second and first + B prospect. The Avs used that second to acquire Ross. Now, if that is not good asset management, I don't know what is. This should be a lesson for Hughes whose still learning the job. I expect Drouin to turn it aroumd in Denver, he's still young and quite talented. If it doesn't workout for him, well then we can all agree that Drouin was simply not cut out to play in the NHL.
Lol, you actually think anyone within the CH org is going to miss on-ice Drou? We all hope he does well in COL, clears his head and succeeds.. you make it sound like he has massive upside.

Reactions: DailyKaizen

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Lol, you actually think anyone within the CH org is going to miss on-ice Drou? We all hope he does well in COL, clears his head and succeeds.. you make it sound like he has massive upside.
I make it sound how the Habs got played by the Avs. That's it. How they didn't unload Drouin when his value was still high.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's sensationalizing the reality.
I’m sorry but I’m not into alternate realities, nor “sensationalizing”. I’ll leave that sport to you since you brought it up.

Please don’t project your mindless drivel on others, it’s condescending and has no place anywhere.

I dug up a tweet to show that he had been on the market, likely after his second year. There were other rumblings that I don’t want to spend the rest of the evening digging up.

I’m done here, please go make someone else happy as nothing is ever good enough for you. Thanks for nothing.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Why were they forced to play him? Nashville just bought out Duchene and we HAD to keep Drouin? We didn't have to do anything.

We can split hairs on whats considered failure, loser or success but Drouin is bound to surpass 500 NHL games played including his injuries and time lost. This isn't touching NHL and failing IMO but agree to disagree.
Duchene was bought out because of character issues, too much terms left on his contract, a big cap hit and new management cleaning up.

Drouin only had two years left when Gorton and Hughes came in and i don't think he was a bad in the room. His contract was much easier to ride out than Duchene's bloated contract.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Good riddance and a virtually risk free move by the Avs with the contract he signed. Going to be one hell of an adjustment for him going from $5M to $825K.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
The Sergachev trade, 5 years of pain and nothing returned.
But the pain continues when Lekhy is doing great in Denver while Barron is still struggling to get his niche. And on top of that, the Habs pay a first + second for another Dach. Not to mention, that the Habs are left empty handed with Subban. Asset management at its finest.

Reactions: expy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad