Tribute There Goes Our Hero : Jonathan Drouin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In a number of organizations, he would have been moved years ago when it was clear that things weren't working out (like when Galchenyuk was traded for Domi).

Anyway, wish the guy well, should be a good opportunity.
Oh, they tried many times to move him as soon as his second season. There were multiple droppings from Franco insiders and mainstream broadcasters over several seasons saying that no one wanted anything to do with him.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Feels bad for a few Avs fans who are "hopeful" he can score 60 points lol

Only possible way he could ever score 60 points is if they saddle his ass to MacKinnon and if they do that MacKinnon will score a lot less, and the team will likely lose a lot more.

He flat out sucks. No way around that I'm afraid.

Reactions: PhysicX and Mrb1p

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Oh, they tried many times to move him as soon as his second season. There were multiple droppings from Franco insiders and mainstream broadcasters over several seasons saying that no one wanted anything to do with him.

Unlikely to be true if this was as soon as his 2nd season. Dude made 46 points his first season here not playing his actual position, 53 the season after and he was like 22-23. I doubt teams wanted 'nothing to do with him'. They probably just didn't want to pay full price for him. There's a difference.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I do remember rumours over the years but not back to early on. Would guess they should have had some offer of flipping him for someone elses similar struggling player in there somewhere.

Reactions: Runner77

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The fact that he was signed to so little money for one season, says a lot about his value in the league.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I’m just glad this failed experiment is over once and for all, he could have a 80 pts season next year and I’d still be happy he’s gone.

Reminiscent of when le p’tit Dovid finally scrammed, my top 2 most hated Habs ever by a wide margin. But hey, good luck to him I don’t hate the person behind the jersey.
He gets way too much hate compared to worse failures and first round picks that amounted to nothing. At least he can average more ppg on Montreal than most. Now he has actual shooters to pass to

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
No but its hard to imagine someone in the hardest hockey league in the world making millions and helping charities before he even hits 30 is a 'f***ing loser'.

Seems a bit extreme.
The Peter principle is a thing. Many make it to the top only to fail. His NHL career is a failure no matter if he has made a lot more money before the age of 30 than most people will in their lifetime.

Who's a surgeon?
Many fans that pay nosebleed tickets to watch NHL players which pays their salaries. Losers apparently according to your standards.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Unlikely to be true if this was as soon as his 2nd season. Dude made 46 points his first season here not playing his actual position, 53 the season after and he was like 22-23. I doubt teams wanted 'nothing to do with him'. They probably just didn't want to pay full price for him. There's a difference.
My first recollection of the Habs trying to trade him came from mainstream broadcaster on RDS and pundit on the 98.5 FM morning show, who said this in September 2020:

And he wasn’t just talking about the month when that was tweeted. The tweet says that the Habs tried on several occasions. So yes, it was likely.

Also, you should know by now that point totals are not the be-all and end-all of whether a player is put on the market for trading purposes. That tweet is not saying that other teams were not prepared to pay the price, it says that they wanted no part of him — that’s the only difference that there is.

He was a perimeter player who would refuse to go in the slot, despite three years spent by then associate coach Kirk Muller driving home the message that doing so would help boost his offensive production. He spent a lot of time showing him comparables, videos and stats to back up his teachings, all to no avail.

It got so pointless to try and get Drouin to adjust his game that Kirk Muller complained about it to ex-teammate Mario Tremblay, who mentioned it on AC.

The simple correlation is that Muller’s observations went up the food chain and when management tried to act on them, they were rebuffed by the market. They didn’t need several years to find out that they needed to cut bait. Muller was only in his second year as associate coach when Drouin began as a Hab.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad