Post-Game Talk: There’s something in the water … and it’s quenched our thirst!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m so optimistic about the Oilers right now that I think if he scores the floodgates open and he becomes our Arturo Lehkonen for the Cup Run. Hard to see now, but so was 12 in a row and a Stanley Cup quality defence at one point.
I mean he's honestly a good forechecker and gets tons of quality scoring chances. It blows my mind that a guy with two 20 goal seasons and a couple more in the mid teens is struggling this hard to put the puck in the net. I don't think it would actually be all that surprising if he started putting the puck in the net if he can find his first one.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean he's honestly a good forechecker and gets tons of quality scoring chances. It blows my mind that a guy with two 20 goal seasons and a couple more in the mid teens is struggling this hard to put the puck in the net. I don't think it would actually be all that surprising if he started putting the puck in the net if he can find his first one.

He’s making plays out there for sure. Just a tad of puck luck and a bit more rust off him and I could see him finally producing.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He’s making plays out there for sure. Just a tad of puck luck and a bit more rust off him and I could see him finally producing.
I'm hoping he comes around. If you got a rejuvenated Brown and Holloway for the back half of the season in the bottom 6 and could get Perry on your 3rd line then you'd finally be looking at a 4 line team that can score at will on every line. You'd also have a ton of depth waiting in the press box. Thats one thing the '06 Oilers had. Multiple depth options to inject into the line up and it was crucial in several games during that run.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its a nice thought but I'll ask again, its always crickets, give one or two examples of players that have ever gone stone cold to this degree at age 30 or more and come back to produce again at this level. I can't think of one other example where somebody completely lost their hands and then found it again.

Connor Brown has gone an astounding 52NHL games without scoring a goal. Nearly two years since he's scored. Its not like this guy is gonna pot one and suddenly end up with 10 goals this season.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm hoping he comes around. If you got a rejuvenated Brown and Holloway for the back half of the season in the bottom 6 and could get Perry on your 3rd line then you'd finally be looking at a 4 line team that can score at will on every line. You'd also have a ton of depth waiting in the press box. Thats one thing the '06 Oilers had. Multiple depth options to inject into the line up and it was crucial in several games during that run.
The only fairly recent year that Brown scored 20 was the 20-21 season which seems outlier. He also scored 5 shorties that year which is first indication it was one of those years where everything is going. He also was shooting near 18% that season nearly double what he usually gets. Brown has had multiple seasons under 10% shooting. Its not like he had magic hands in his career.

To wit scoring 5 shorties in 56GP that season was flat out unrepeatable. Would never happen again. He has 8 his whole career. To put into perspective how outlier that season was this is the alltime list of shorties scored in one season. Prorated to a typical length season this is 7.5 goals. That puts Connor Brown top 20 all time in that metric, It also represented a quarter of his total production on the season

Over Career Brown prorates to 14Goals a season on 82 game proration. That in itself is misleading as Brown hasn't played an 82 game season in a long time. For a guy coming off a complete missed season due to egregious knee injury its even more improbable the guy could play a lot of games.

Look around the league at guys struggling to score. Once it leaves it ain't coming back. Guys like Silfverberg in Ahaheim completely forgetting how to score. Silfverbert is on a completely different level than Brown as a shot generator and has scored twice as many NHL goals. 181 vs 91. I use him as example because he has a similarly poor shooting % career wise. He's no sharpshooter, he's somebody that needs appreciable volume of chances to score and was always like that.

Jacob, similar to Brown also had a prime of life bubble where he was scoring more consistently for a couple seasons. 2 seasons tend not to define players, their career work does.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Its a nice thought but I'll ask again, its always crickets, give one or two examples of players that have ever gone stone cold to this degree at age 30 or more and come back to produce again at this level. I can't think of one other example where somebody completely lost their hands and then found it again.

Connor Brown has gone an astounding 52NHL games without scoring a goal. Nearly two years since he's scored. Its not like this guy is gonna pot one and suddenly end up with 10 goals this season.
Remember who was the Oilers director of pro scouting when Brown was targeted for signing? He must have thought he was looking in a mirror, lol.

Forward Tyler Wright had a season of 61 regular games and 13 playoff games with no point.

Also, this…

1705763102190.png

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Remember who was the Oilers director of pro scouting when Brown was targeted for signing? He must have thought he was looking in a mirror, lol.

Forward Tyler Wright had a season of 61 regular games and 13 playoff games with no point.

Also, this…

View attachment 806700

f*** Tyler Wright. But for acccuracy sakes, he was director of amateur scouting.

Blame him for Broberg, Bourgault, Schaeffer etc etc but don’t blame him for Brown.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
f*** Tyler Wright. But for acccuracy sakes, he was director of amateur scouting.

Blame him for Broberg, Bourgault, Schaeffer etc etc but don’t blame him for Brown.
Your right. He was only the amateur director.

But so we’re clear, f*** Connor Brown, too.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

I'm convinced Dennis Wideman hangs out and posts on CP.

Look at this f***ing nonsense.

Edit: This is probably just a Flames fan (thanks @TopShelfGloveSide ), but either way it's absurd take

"Ref closest to the play scared to make a call so I took a run at the other ref. This is what happens when refs f*** up and don't answer the bell. I had to cheap shot the other ref with a crosscheck in the back."

Dennis Wideman was, is, and always will be a plug and a piece of garbage.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad