Speculation: Theory as to why Eugene Melnyk backtracked on LeBreton

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anyone claiming that Melnyk is currently in good shape financially needs to explain why he can't get financing from the banks, and why he has been forced to get his debt financed in secondary markets who charge significantly more interest. That roadshow he discussed where he had to do a dog and pony show in front of financiers? That's not normal, no matter how hard Eugene tries to spin it. If the chartered banks thought that he was viable, they would lend him money in a hot minute and at far better terms than he is going to get elsewhere.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You don’t switch partners and move on every deal that can make you richer just because it presents itself. Reputation, Loyalty, reliability are a bigger part of business then profit and Melnyck has shown he has no value to this qualities
Which just backs up the point made, whether it went down like that or not, that he'd exercise his right whenever he could.

There is too much smoke for me personally to not believe something isn't up, we'll see in January.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You don’t switch partners and move on every deal that can make you richer just because it presents itself. Reputation, Loyalty, reliability are a bigger part of business then profit and Melnyck has shown he has no value to this qualities

get a grip. have you no understanding of business at all?

he had a legal contract with an out clause. he exercised it.

to not have done so would have been leaving money on the table.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Which just backs up the point made, whether it went down like that or not, that he'd exercise his right whenever he could.

There is too much smoke for me personally to not believe something isn't up, we'll see in January.

something may be up. I hope it is.

but to suggest he shouldn't have walked away from a contract to secure a better one when he had a right to do so is....

well it's a lot of things....

I wouldn't even know where to start on that opinion

Google

Sens ctc deal

and read the article in the globe. it's about the 5th hit.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

but to suggest he shouldn't have walked away from a contract to secure a better one when he had a right to do so is....

Google

Sens ctc deal

I wasn't suggesting that, I was saying his point reinforced yours unintentionally.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

Google

Sens ctc deal

Ugh... I hate to be one of these guys. My close friend worked in Sens accounting until very recently, leaving for a more secure and stable organization. Not a friend of a former brother-in-law, or the neighbor's cousin's neighbor. And I believe him. Whether you do or not, not really my concern.

No matter how it gets spun or how many assets he has, Melnyk is cash poor. He is struggling to meet the terms of the Lebreton deal. And he terminated the naming rights agreement after Scotiabank and he had a falling out. He went on to find a better deal, yes. But you don't go looking for a better deal while you have one in place under solid circumstances. He burned many bridges along the way. NOT how a successful businessman runs things.

Reactions: YOW

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
get a grip. have you no understanding of business at all?

he had a legal contract with an out clause. he exercised it.

to not have done so would have been leaving money on the table.

I actually have an excellent understanding of business and I understand better the Melnyck that Hockey is a people’s business, from owner-fan, coach-player, player-community.

I’m not knocking Melnyck for changing sponsors, I’m just saying he’s a convicted business man (greed) and his greed and arrogance are what is ruining his franchise, not the fans, like he insinuates.

Your reputation gets you through the business world, any wonder why Sens nation is leading a #Melnyckout movement?

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I actually have an excellent understanding of business and I understand better the Melnyck that Hockey is a people’s business, from owner-fan, coach-player, player-community.

I’m not knocking Melnyck for changing sponsors, I’m just saying he’s a convicted business man (greed) and his greed and arrogance are what is ruining his franchise, not the fans, like he insinuates.

Your reputation gets you through the business world, any wonder why Sens nation is leading a #Melnyckout movement?

well ya you did knock him for switching sponsors

he had an opt out clause

Scotiabank could have reupped at a higher rate. Guess they chose not to.

Opt out clauses are pretty standard

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Maybe the players know he's broke and are doing their part to speed up the sale?

Yeah, that must be it. :rolleyes:

It's pretty bad right now and will likely get worse in the near future. Lots of distractions around the team but Boucher and the players have to insulate themselves from it as difficult as that will be.

As for Melnyk, we will learn much about how the negotiations are going later next month. I still think these posts about him being broke are bunk, but he sure is a tough guy to like. Keep slogging on I guess.

Fitch89

Sep 11, 2011
Wouldnt it be great if there started being anti-Melnyk chants at the games? Similar to the Alfie chants but with a very different tone. Maybe at 19:92 in each period chant “get out Melnyk”

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Wouldnt it be great if there started being anti-Melnyk chants at the games? Similar to the Alfie chants but with a very different tone. Maybe at 19:92 in each period chant “get out Melnyk”
When you can figure out when 19:92 of each period is I'm all in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad