Confirmed with Link: The Zaitsev era has ended. Traded to Chicago.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not a lot of substance in this one, but he touches on the consequences of that deal made years ago. I hated it then and even more now in hindsight. Not crippling, but irresponsible imo.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not how to build a sustainable winner. You spend those assets when you're close. This team is not close. They're well below average.
Close to what.

This team is close to making the playoffs. Very close.

Not a lot of substance in this one, but he touches on the consequences of that deal made years ago. I hated it then and even more now in hindsight. Not crippling, but irresponsible imo.

What I would argue is that the sens didn’t think they were taking on a bad contract. They thought they were getting a lab elite defender

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You seem to be incapable of separating the GM from the franchise.

I praise Bill Armstrong, an employee of the Arizona Coyotes, and you hear praise for the organization.

I criticize Pierre Dorion, an employee of the Ottawa Senators, and you hear criticism of the franchise itself.

I'd like employees of my favorite team be excellent at their job, which you seem to have a problem with.

He was the worst GM this league has seen since Milbury.

Proof that being fluent in advanced stats isn't sufficient to run a successful franchise.
Not hearing the praise for the yotes, unless perpetual rebuild is praise.
GMBA is an improvement though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Close to what.

This team is close to making the playoffs. Very close.

What I would argue is that the sens didn’t think they were taking on a bad contract. They thought they were getting a lab elite defender
Close to contending for a cup. Not 4th last in the conference with your number 1 goalie and center out for the season. Best players are 20 and 21 years old. Nows absolutely not the time.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well bad assessment if so, but it's still a bad deal dating back to the day it was made regardless of their intentions, imo. Similar to the Phaneuf deal. Hoping for short term benefit with caution thrown to the wind with basically guaranteed long term consequences.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Close to contending for a cup. Not 4th last in the conference with your number 1 goalie and center out for the season. Best players are 20 and 21 years old. Nows absolutely not the time.
NJD were worse than us last year and traded a former 1st round pick in Ty Smith who many claimed was worth more than anything we could/would offer, and went from terrible to one of the better teams in the league, from 28th one year to 3rd this year.

I'm not saying we should push all our chips in, but I am saying the gap between not even close and contender isn't as wide as some suggest.

We've been playing at a 100 pts pace since late Nov, that's without Norris too. Do we maybe look different next year with a guy like Chychrun and good health for our key players?

If we did something like Pinto, 2024 1st and a 2024 2nd for Chychrun and Vejmelka, and Formenton returns, how far off are we?

Tkachuk-Norris-Joseph
Debrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Greig-Batherson
Kelly-Kastelic-Gauthier

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
Brannstrom-JBD

Vejmelka
Sogaard/Forsberg in healthy

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That's not hoarding whatsoever considering we went through a full tear down rebuild that involved moving an entire top 6 forward group (Stone, Duchene, Brassard, Dzingel, Pageau, Hoffman) and an elite defenseman.

To put things in perspective, Arizona is set to pick 13 times in the 2nd round from 2021-2025 and they haven't been able to trade anywhere close to the level of talent Dorion had when the rebuild started.

It's actually kind of embarrassing how little depth we have in our system right now after trading away all that talent.
Lol, yeah no. The depth is all on the team for the most part, though we have another batch arriving after this season to the pros.

13 2nd round picks also isn’t close to value we had from trading our players. I’d trade all of them to be able to pick 3rd and take Stu for example.

Whats embarrassing is you using the revolving door that is Arizona as any kind of argument about asset management Lol.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Thank you for your service Zaitsev. You were a pretty crap defender, but you were asked to play a top 4 role by a mangement that misjudged your ability.

I really wish we had just let Ceci walk instead of getting Zaitsev's anchor of a deal. Sure Connor Brown was probably the best stop gap Dorion got, but I'm curious as to why Dorion thought it was a good idea to get a defender that just recently signed long term with a team like TML. Toronto could've used the Zaitsev of his rookie year and the fact that he was available should've been a red flag.

This should have been done sooner, but hopefully our next gm will make better use of the $4,5 being paid to Zaitsev.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Don't get why they made this trade right now instead of during the summer after his bonus is paid. An early second is very valuable in a draft this deep and I've got a feeling it will come back to haunt us.

What drives me nuts is that we shouldn't even be in this situation in the first place. The Bobby Ryan and MDZ buyouts were completely unnecessary and will count for 2.6M against the cap next season. The initial Murray trade was beyond stupid and his retained salary will cost us 1.56M against the cap next season. That's 4.15M in dead cap (basically Zaitsev's salary) that was completely avoidable.

This trade is being celebrated everywhere when in reality it's a great illustration of Dorion's consistently awful asset management. When the original Zaitsev trade went down there was also tons of celebration in Sens land because people were happy to move on from Ceci, the whipping boy at the time. Now everyone is celebrating Zaitsev's departure, the current whipping boy instead of looking at the bigger picture.

In the last couple of years, Dorion has acquired:
-Murray then signed him to that insane deal + dumped him
-20 games of Derek Stepan when he was considered a negative asset with that 6M cap hit
-Travis Hamonic
-Josh Brown
-Future considerations to dump Zaitsev

To make these deals he parted with:
2nd x 3
3rd x 2
4th x 3
7th x 1

Those 9 draft picks combined are extremely valuable and we have literally nothing to show for it. Our prospect pool is pretty embarassing for a rebuilding team (I'm aware we graduated most of it but still) and it's so frustrating to constantly see this guy blow through assets to cover up his own mistakes. The splashy summer was cool but looking back: the Brown trade was underwhelming, Giroux wanted to come here, Debrincat has been underwhelming and he can walk himself to UFA next summer if he wants to + Korchinski looks awesome, Talbot trade looks like a total fleecing. I'm so sick of this guy and I badly want the entire front office overhauled when new ownership comes in. Bowness seems legit but outside of him completely burn it to the ground. Scouts should be grilled for the Boucher pick but they're mostly safe too.

edit: we acquired a 5th for Brown and we'll see if they flip Hamonic.
Don't get me wrong, I think its hilarious (in all the wrong ways) that Dorion is paying to get out of a deal that he acquired. I'm just relieved we won't have $4.5 million spent on Zaitsev next year. At this point, its just about having flexibility and the best situation for the next gm.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well bad assessment if so, but it's still a bad deal dating back to the day it was made regardless of their intentions, imo. Similar to the Phaneuf deal. Hoping for short term benefit with caution thrown to the wind with basically guaranteed long term consequences.
Well if they were right no it’s a great trade lol. But of course we all knew they weren’t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad