The worst cuts at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Skroob said:
age has nothing to do with anything. The fact is that he turned down the chance to represent his country for either (a) wanting to break someones record or (b) didn't like his coaches.

I guess the 2002 Olympics and 2004 World Cup have just been erased from your memory.

Maturity and a sense of responsibility knows no numbers.

What, did you get that from a fortune cookie or something? Maturity and responsibility are inextricably bound to age.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
hockeyman28 said:
marc antoine pouliot shouldve made the team in 2005.
Or you could just be happy with the most dominating junior team ever. That team cannot be questioned (except what was Stephen Dixon doing there? and where is he now?)

jester099

Aug 19, 2005
Montreal
flambers said:
If I remember correctly Scremph played last year but was benched.

I think the guys in charge of the american hockey team just don't like to take kids playing in the juniors in Canada.

If I remember correctly, they just let him rot on the 4rth line not because he was not good enough, but because he wasn't playing in the USA and they didn't know him very well. He still was one of their best player and he played his way on their PP unit....

Skroob*

clefty said:
What, did you get that from a fortune cookie or something? Maturity and responsibility are inextricably bound to age.

I'm fairly confident that at 16 i was more mature and responsible than Lemieux was for most of his young-adult life. Some people are born with it, some have to learn it. Its just how it is.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
Actually, he had played the previous year and had a problem with the coaching staff so he declined the invitation this time around.

Lemieux played in 1983. In 84 he was in the NHL so he wanted to stay there. In 1982, i'm pretty sure he was refused by Dave King because he was'nt speaking english well enough. It made contreversy when King came in Montreal couples of years ago.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
boredmale said:
taking 17 year olds in a tournament like this can be risky.

Staal woulda been 18, same age as Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Anthony Stewart, Nigel Dawes, Stephen Dixon, Jeremy Colliton, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, P-M Bouchard, Dan Paille. All 18 year olds who have made the team the last 3 years.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Skroob said:
I'm fairly confident that at 16 i was more mature and responsible than Lemieux was for most of his young-adult life.

Ahh, so you knew Mario as a teenager? Thats pretty cool.

Transported Upstater

If lacking English fluency was a major part of Team Canada's decision, that's flat-out STUPID IMO.

I'm not saying it was. I just think that's a horrible reason for leaving a player off a national team. As someone said before, there are two official languages of Canada if I'm not mistaken :D

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
If lacking English fluency was a major part of Team Canada's decision, that's flat-out STUPID IMO.

I'm not saying it was. I just think that's a horrible reason for leaving a player off a national team. As someone said before, there are two official languages of Canada if I'm not mistaken :D

I'm usually very sensible on french question but i can understand this one. I also respect totally Lemieux's decision to stay in the NHL instead of going in the WJC. It's stupid to say he was imature or anything but a kid who really don't speak english can hardly play with a team full of anglo with only a week or 2 of camp.

In the Québec Rempart (QMJHL) everything is in english for the players. It allow the young french to learn english and every players can understand each other. Most anglo who come to play here learn french anyway.

Rolexmaster

Aug 3, 2005
but a kid who really don't speak english can hardly play with a team full of anglo with only a week or 2 of camp.

Nahhhhhh...........Canada officials were dumb if that really was the reason........Most Russian superstar players can't speak English when they land in America but it doesn't take them 2 weeks and they are dominating their fellow players......

Who cares if Lemieux couldn't speak English well......it's Lemieux.....just tell the other players to put the puck on his stick and he'll do the rest ........Even Lemieux can understand a well-drawn play like that ;)

Beatnik said:
Lemieux played in 1983. In 84 he was in the NHL so he wanted to stay there. In 1982, i'm pretty sure he was refused by Dave King because he was'nt speaking english well enough. It made contreversy when King came in Montreal couples of years ago.

In 84, he was still in the QMJHL. And in '82 he was a 16 year old and ened the year "only" 18th in the Q in scoring (still good but probably not international good).

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
In 84, he was still in the QMJHL. And in '82 he was a 16 year old and ened the year "only" 18th in the Q in scoring (still good but probably not international good).

I'm sorry but in 84 he was with Pittsburgh:

1984-85 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 73 43 57 100 54

I understand he was only 16 in 82(see below) still, it was not the reason given.

Rolexmaster said:
Who cares if Lemieux couldn't speak English well......it's Lemieux.....just tell the other players to put the puck on his stick and he'll do the rest ........Even Lemieux can understand a well-drawn play like that ;)

he was also 16. Esposito is absolutely incredible as a 16 years old and I'm not sure he'll do the WJC team.

2005-06 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 10 10 13 23

Last edited:

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Beatnik said:
I'm sorry but in 84 he was with Pittsburgh:

1984-85 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 73 43 57 100 54

I understand he was only 16 in 82(see below) still, it was not the reason given.

he was also 16. Esposito is absolutely incredible as a 16 years old and I'm not sure he'll do the WJC team.

2005-06 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 10 10 13 23

Recapitulate. Lemieux was at the WJC 1983 and wasn't at the 1984.

WJC 1984 was held as all WJC in December of the previuos year (1983) and in January of the current year (1984).

Therefore, Lemieux wasn't drafted when the WJC 1984 occured and wasn't playing in the NHL.

Lemieux did not play at the WJC 1984 because he asked not to be part of the camp selection and this request was declined. 1984's Team Canada Assistant coach George Lariviere has confirmed that in the past a few times. It has nothing to see with the language, nothing to see with the Guy Lafleur records.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I still have to wonder how and why Jack Johnson and Matt Lashoff did not represent the US last year at the WJC. That team selected some weak picks when they had so many talented kids out there to chose from. Robbie Earl, Josh Hennessy, Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Matt Lashoff, Tom Fritsche, and A.J. Thelen (even with his down year), all would have been much better picks then the group of third and fourth line hammenaggers they sent out there. Dylan Reeses?? Goligoski?? Weller?? these guys are okay, but come on! jmo

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
AmericanDream said:
I still have to wonder how and why Jack Johnson and Matt Lashoff did not represent the US last year at the WJC. That team selected some weak picks when they had so many talented kids out there to chose from. Robbie Earl, Josh Hennessy, Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Matt Lashoff, Tom Fritsche, and A.J. Thelen (even with his down year), all would have been much better picks then the group of third and fourth line hammenaggers they sent out there. Dylan Reeses?? Goligoski?? Weller?? these guys are okay, but come on! jmo

Dylan Reese wasn't on the 2005 squad. He was selected for the 2004 squad but had to bow out due to injury.

I, like so many others was surprised that Johnson was left off of the team too.

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
MomentsofSanity said:
I was kind of suprised Gerald Coleman didn't even get a look for last year's Team USA given the numbers he put up the last two years here in London. Granted there was always question on whether he was good or the team in front of him just kept the scoring chances to a minimum... but it was still somewhat puzzling...

ditto for robbie earl

and i was suprised when daley and fortunus were final cuts

that was the year usa won

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
neg marron said:
ditto for robbie earl

and i was suprised when daley and fortunus were final cuts

that was the year usa won

I thought Earl deserved a shot for the U.S. but Daley and Fortunus for Canada? A certain bias is creeping out again..........

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
AmericanDream said:

Dylan Reese wasn't on last years team. Goligoski is a solid player and great skater, I had no problem with him making the team. I agree on Weller. Tom Fritsche should have made it over him. Robbie Earl wasn't good enough to make last years team and either was Hennessy. Johnson should have made it over Lee and so should have Lashoff. Thelen was awful last year and had so many other off ice problems he would have been a terrible pick. Another kid I had a problem with them taking was Jeff Likens, he was flat out an awful pick.

BTW it's ham n' eggers

RW8

Feb 10, 2004
I read a book about Lemieux's whole career from childhood last year. He went to the '83 one and had a really terrible time there and decided he would not play the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad