The worst cuts at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay I'm going to keep this one to mostly Canada cause that's what I remember the most when players got cut. Up until 2005 we didnt fare too well at the WJC and I think the reason was some of the guys we cut hurt us. Here goes.

1998 - Daniel Cleary being cut for the second year in a row shocked me. That '98 team was rotten and Cleary would have helped them. Nick Boynton being cut that year was puzzling too.

1999 - Mike Comrie should have been on that team. That team lacked offense agianst the Russians. How did they cut Comrie all he did was score!

2000 - Comrie is cut again by the Canadians. Okay my only assumption is that he slept with Bob Nicholsons daughter!

2001 - Although he may not have developed in to a solid NHLer yet Kris Beech came to my mind as a shock to be cut. he was a pretty good junior player. I remember when they interviewed him after he was cut and asked him if he was bitter. He didnt deny he was. Those were the years when Stan Butler was coaching the team! Big mistake.

2003 - Eric Staal and Nathan Horton both being cut. Horton maybe cause they had enough grinders there but Staal? He went #2 overall in that draft that year! And that Canadian team was small and needed some size. No wonder they blew the lead to the Russians again!

2004 - Robbie Scrempf not being put on the US team was puzzling. They won anyways so it isnt a big deal, but a guy who was flirting with being the #2 or #3 overall draft pick should get an invite at least.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd say Jack Johnson being left off the U.S. team in 2005 is a bigger mystery than Schremp being left off the team in 2004. The cool thing is they will both be on the team this year!

Claypool_*

Kafka said:
Wasn't Mario Lemieux left while he was the best CHL player?

I'm pretty sure he didn't want to go because he wanted to break Guy's junior records.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Big Phil said:
2003 - Eric Staal and Nathan Horton both being cut. Horton maybe cause they had enough grinders there but Staal? He went #2 overall in that draft that year! And that Canadian team was small and needed some size. No wonder they blew the lead to the Russians again!

didn't they were going too make the team at 100% but their NHL team didn't want to let them go before a certain date and Hockey Canada wanted the player to be in camp at the start so they just didn't invite them
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go Habs Go!

You have to look at this - Warning! Cat & Dog been awfully maltreated for their fur(China)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
thief50 said:
didn't they were going too make the team at 100% but their NHL team didn't want to let them go before a certain date and Hockey Canada wanted the player to be in camp at the start so they just didn't invite them
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif

No this was before either one of them were drafted, for the '03 tourny.

Skroob*

Claypool said:
I'm pretty sure he didn't want to go because he wanted to break Guy's junior records.

Gotta love the mans priorities.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Big Phil said:
2004 - Robbie Scrempf not being put on the US team was puzzling. They won anyways so it isnt a big deal, but a guy who was flirting with being the #2 or #3 overall draft pick should get an invite at least.

If I remember correctly Scremph played last year but was benched.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
I was kind of suprised Gerald Coleman didn't even get a look for last year's Team USA given the numbers he put up the last two years here in London. Granted there was always question on whether he was good or the team in front of him just kept the scoring chances to a minimum... but it was still somewhat puzzling...

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
hockeyman28 said:
marc antoine pouliot shouldve made the team in 2005.

I disagree. I would have rather had several QMJHL forwards taken before him, including Steve Bernier and Alexandre Picard.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Matt MacInnis said:
I disagree. I would have rather had several QMJHL forwards taken before him, including Steve Bernier and Alexandre Picard.

agreed. but in fairness there were ALOT of guys who should have been on that team, even from the OHL and WHL. because of the lockout alot of guys who would have been playing in either the NHL or AHL, got to play.

Skroob*

clefty said:
You mean kid's priorities. He was 18, and the experiences from the prior WJC were not ones he wanted to repeat.

age has nothing to do with anything. The fact is that he turned down the chance to represent his country for either (a) wanting to break someones record or (b) didn't like his coaches.

Maturity and a sense of responsibility knows no numbers.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Big Phil said:
thief50 said:
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif

No this was before either one of them were drafted, for the '03 tourny.[/QUOTE]

They were 17.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Skroob said:
age has nothing to do with anything. The fact is that he turned down the chance to represent his country for either (a) wanting to break someones record or (b) didn't like his coaches.

Maturity and a sense of responsibility comes with age. Would you blame a three year old for messing up if you bestowed him the title of emperor?

To get back to the thread, I agree that the whole 2005 US WJC team underachieved because they simply did not select their best team.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Skroob said:

Let's be clear about Mario Lemieux's sense of responsibility to nation when it comes to playing hockey for his country in international tournaments. Lemieux has basically put aside his commitments to his NHL franchise, which he co-owns by the way, in order to suit up in major international tournaments recently.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Big Phil said:

taking 17 year olds in a tournament like this can be risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad