"The Winchester Rifle" Conor Sheary

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah we went from none to several. Just goes to show it really does take a few years sometimes for these guys to show up and to be patient for it. Although admittedly we probably couldn't brought a couple of them in a little sooner. Not much though.

Yes it does take time. The bigger lesson to learn from it is that you can't trade your 2nd-4th picks 4 season's straight (I know we didn't literally do this every year) and then wonder why you don't have any prospects (especially when half the guys you do draft in the later rounds are college bound).

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
My opinion on him is definitely changing on him and happy with his current production. Part of me still thinks the honeymoon will be over sooner or later. Does anyone think we should eventually try and sell high on him like Tampa did with Conacher?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
There is no crow to eat. I don't think people understand what that means. When he was struggling, he couldn't get the puck deep or get a shot off. He was then paired on the wings with Wilson and started getting comfortable and awesome.

His progression has been amazing and everyone in WBS who watched him said he was this type of player. He just really struggled adjusting at first. That happens to so many players. Kuhn was another one that really sucked at first.

When suggesting a projection, no one knows anything for certainty. But some here do take their discourse to an unpleasant level at times when anyone suggests an idea outside of the normal group-speak.

Amazing how the people who repeatedly discount opinions harshly and so frequently are usually proven over time to be consistently wrong.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I am over the moon with Sheary recently, but I'm still not sure he's the best we can do as a long-term option in the top-6.
I think he probably is, but either way, assuming this level of play either continues, I don't know how important it is to get him a bigger name LW. You could get a Boedker for example, but that's going to cost quite a bit.

Yes it does take time. The bigger lesson to learn from it is that you can't trade your 2nd-4th picks 4 season's straight (I know we didn't literally do this every year) and then wonder why you don't have any prospects (especially when half the guys you do draft in the later rounds are college bound).
Two 2nd's for Douglas Murray is the trade that killed Shero for me. I realize that means I'm slow on the uptake, but it was just so baffling to me that he thought spending quality futures on a marginal defenseman was a good idea. The guy had no idea what he was looking for in players, and just wanted TDL cliches "vets and size".

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
When suggesting a projection, no one knows anything for certainty. But some here do take their discourse to an unpleasant level at times when anyone suggests an idea outside of the normal group-speak.

Amazing how the people who repeatedly discount opinions harshly and so frequently are usually proven over time to be consistently wrong.

Cassius looked to be the only individual in the thread who had a very hard take on Sheary. That's his gimmick. It's like Mark Madden... go hard at one side because it gets the most response. There are tons of AHL players who do fair in the AHL but would probably thrive in an NHL atmosphere. Luck goes a looooooong way in getting that shot and getting multiple chances, too. Without injuries this year, Sheary would have been sent down. Now we have a hidden gem out of nowhere.

It's similar to the main board. 75% of people are having good conversations regarding the Pens/Caps and there are like a small minority who are claiming Pens/Caps in 4. They just want a response. There is never a gaurantee in sports.

Which is probably why we should never discount opinions so harshly, though. :laugh: But... it's going to happen.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Cassius looked to be the only individual in the thread who had a very hard take on Sheary. That's his gimmick. It's like Mark Madden... go hard at one side because it gets the most response. There are tons of AHL players who do fair in the AHL but would probably thrive in an NHL atmosphere. Luck goes a looooooong way in getting that shot and getting multiple chances, too. Without injuries this year, Sheary would have been sent down. Now we have a hidden gem out of nowhere.

It's similar to the main board. 75% of people are having good conversations regarding the Pens/Caps and there are like a small minority who are claiming Pens/Caps in 4. They just want a response. There is never a gaurantee in sports.

Which is probably why we should never discount opinions so harshly, though. :laugh: But... it's going to happen.

I'm not complaining about the discourse, since I have been known to partake in it from time to time. :laugh:

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This team is too soff

You are correct sir!

This next matchup will be the test. Can a soff team that is lightening quick and talented beat a team that will punish them every shift?

If the Pens win, soff may be the right way to go.

Lastly in my defense, my biggest complaint with the Pens the last 5 years were the non-descript players sprinkled throughout the lineup that excelled in zero parts in their game.

I always stated any player should excel in either Skill, Speed or Grit. I still wish we had grit, but mainly because I enjoy watching a response.

Viva Le Sheary!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You are correct sir!

This next matchup will be the test. Can a soff team that is lightening quick and talented beat a team that will punish them every shift?

If the Pens win, soff may be the right way to go.

Lastly in my defense, my biggest complaint with the Pens the last 5 years were the non-descript players sprinkled throughout the lineup that excelled in zero parts in their game.

I always stated any player should excel in either Skill, Speed or Grit. I still wish we had grit, but mainly because I enjoy watching a response.

Viva Le Sheary!

Just messing with you. The Caps will be a bigger challenge from a physicality perspective, so it will be interesting to see how the Pens manage it.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
There is no crow to eat. I don't think people understand what that means. When he was struggling, he couldn't get the puck deep or get a shot off. He was then paired on the wings with Wilson and started getting comfortable and awesome.

His progression has been amazing and everyone in WBS who watched him said he was this type of player. He just really struggled adjusting at first. That happens to so many players. Kuhn was another one that really sucked at first.

Oh ********. We seem to have many pro scouts on this site that already were convinced he had no future in the NHL before even giving him a chance. Mostly because of his size. For some reason this board has an unhealthy perception that size is everything. The kid clearly showed he had the talent. He just needed to learn to use his smaller stature to his advantage. We see now that he has and his skill is now being noticed.

If you don't like crow then the least you can do is take your foot out of your mouth.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Oh ********. We seem to have many pro scouts on this site that already were convinced he had no future in the NHL before even giving him a chance. Mostly because of his size. For some reason this board has an unhealthy perception that size is everything. The kid clearly showed he had the talent. He just needed to learn to use his smaller stature to his advantage. We see now that he has and his skill is now being noticed.

If you don't like crow then the least you can do is take your foot out of your mouth.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. I suggested Sheary might be a perfect fit with Crosby because I saw a lot of similarities to their game. The reaction I received back varied from "stop with your nonsense" to "I'm blocking you":laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Agreed, agreed and agreed. I suggested Sheary might be a perfect fit with Crosby because I saw a lot of similarities to their game. The reaction I received back varied from "stop with your nonsense" to "I'm blocking you":laugh:

When did you suggest that?

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany

But as screwed up as it was that we traded all those picks, I think it helped us now. We had nothing so that meant we have 3rd and 4th line players in the minors for years on scoring lines. They of course developed offensive skill. So, in a way ... thanks Shero lol

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
vhzwKna.jpg

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
No ****, I had the weirdest dream last night. I dreamt Conor Sheary signed with the Patriots as a QB (???). I was most upset that meant Kunitz had to go back to line one :laugh:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
The amazing thing to me for Sheary is that he was winning board battles against much bigger players, regularly. We'll see against washington. But I think we are the Cap's boogeyman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad